Brave move on the writers part!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
    The gates on the planets don't have a large enough power source to dial long range. The gate itself might be able to dial longer ranges if there were a great power source connected to the gate.
    I agree that a SGU planetary gate, by itself, could not reach Destiny if it were a long way away. But my point is that Destiny couldn't have travelled far in the few seconds it was travelling in FTL at the end of the episode. We know that the planetary gates can at least bridge the distance between one or more solar systems, so to be out of range, Destiny would have to travel farther than that. Thus, it stands to reason that if Eli were to quickly dial the 9 chevron Destiny address, it might stop the ship and connect before it moved out of range.

Comment

I'm liking the trend of not having everything neatly resolved by the end of the episode. Story arcs that cross between episodes are nice, just have to be careful not to take it too far.

Comment

I am not so sure the Destiny is leaving this galaxy.
        Seems a lot of people are just assuming it is leaving only because they are at the rim.

Maybe it is looping back and following a grid pattern....

Comment

what if

Spoiler:
          Eli dialing the 9 chevron address causes the FTL drive explosion and they are so paranoid they believe it was sabotage

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
            what if

Spoiler:
            Eli dialing the 9 chevron address causes the FTL drive explosion and they are so paranoid they believe it was sabotage
            Hah...that's funny! I was thinking the
            Spoiler:
            explosion might happen after they're back aboard and try to get going again

...but I like your idea better!

Comment

Well the gate on Destiny was already active when they were dialing so I knew it had to be Rush getting there before them. I was a little surprised when they didn't make it on the second dialing of the Destiny address, but that was pretty mild, given the tone of the episode and the precedent they set in the last one. Or perhaps my cynicism from watching the first for seasons of LOST rubbed off onto this show a little bit.
              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 01 May 2010, 08:26 PM.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

What I like this time, is that it wasn't just a case of holding things back for the next few episodes or next season. They actually added layer to their predicament. The trio actually went through a lot of thing, peripety, then found themselves in a somewhat new predicament (the Destiny is gone). So at first they were on the run to catch the Destiny, now they must find a way to reach the Destiny which is gone into FTL.
                Spoiler:
                I hope the Destiny is really very far. Unreachable by gate travel
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I think Rush will find a line in the ship log showing that eli, scott and chloe tried to dial in when Rush & co did, just for an added shock factor. And then they dial in.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    The limitied range of the Universe gates makes that seem unlikely. They weren't designed to do that.
                    I'd assume that the universe gates are "capable" of it since they possess all the chevrons, its all just a matter of finding a sufficient way to power them up and knowing how the 9th chevron is actually programmed. But I do agree, dialing all 9 would seem unlikely, more realistically they probably would only be able to dial 8 chevrons to hop to the neighboring galaxy in hopes of catching up to Destiny, providing they were able to find both a suitable power source and have the slightest idea of what address to dial to reach it.

Comment

I remember watching it and going, oh they'll get back on the second dial, no big deal.

Than.. that happened. Crazy.

Comment

The 9 Chevron address that got them to Destiny was based in the Chevrons on the MW gates. Even if Eli remembers the address, how would he correlate the 9 MW Chevrons to 9 Universe gate Chevrons? Aren't there differing numbers of chevrons even (39 vs 36)?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlut View Post
                          The 9 Chevron address that got them to Destiny was based in the Chevrons on the MW gates. Even if Eli remembers the address, how would he correlate the 9 MW Chevrons to 9 Universe gate Chevrons? Aren't there differing numbers of chevrons even (39 vs 36)?
                          Besides, we don't know for sure that Destiny dropped out of FTL because of the incoming 9 chevron address from Icarus. It may have had another purpose for dropping out, who knows. Sure, it's a good guess, but we don't know it for sure.

Back on topic, the ending of this episode was REALLY great. For once, I have no idea what's going to happen; or, rather, I know what's going to happen (it's a pretty safe bet that the 3 stranded will make it back to Destiny), but no idea of how the writers will accomplish this. Bravo TPTB.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Earlier in the episode I was so certain that Greer was going to be left behind (with that absolutely heart-breaking flashback of being left alone by his father as foreshadowing); I was gobsmacked when it was Greer who made it back safe and sound, and the other three left stranded.
                            sigpic
                            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

There is only one way now for them to get to Destiny and is for them to be captured by the Blue aliens or some other space faring species that could hitch them a ride in a faster than destiny FTL so they can catch up to it. There is no dialing out of this one.
                              The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

This really is a new kind of Stargate!

Comment

Working...
                                X