This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were a lot of things that reminded me of Star Wars in the episode:

-First there was an exterior shot of the Destiny flying overhead that reminded me of the opening of Episode IV
    -Greer talking to ghosts (Luke/Obi Wan)
    -And most of all, that alien monster everybody keeps calling a dinosaur looked a lot more like a Rancor to me.

I loved all the different planets. The one with Rush and Lt. James reminded me of the Tok'ra planet in Continuum.

And the ending was brilliant.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I liked Greer's backflashes a lot more then Rush. I don't know I felt I could relate more to Greer then Rush and can sympathize more on the saddness of his upbringing
    So did I. It's a shame they showed his backstory in this episode because there was so much going on they couldn't really spend a lot of time on it.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Then one of them is a crossdresser. My money is on Eli
      smurf spy chloe >>
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So...I did not see that one coming, and I will just say this as I collect my thoughts..

WHAT THE....are you...uhhhhhh (eye twitch) no, this can't be, wait where is the second..omg noOOOOO CREDITS...wow, stupid son of a, I have to, I hate WAIT!!!

Thats about how I felt

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          smurf spy chloe >>
          Using your BSG analgy one of the males has to be female
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Using your BSG analgy one of the males has to be female
            i know what you meant. and we never really knew what kara was so she can be the wild card (male/female)
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

What episode were you watching?
              You could reply to me without the sarcasm, but it's cool.

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
              Consider that's because you hate Rush and like Greer.
              Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CCA View Post
                So...I did not see that one coming, and I will just say this as I collect my thoughts..

WHAT THE....are you...uhhhhhh (eye twitch) no, this can't be, wait where is the second..omg noOOOOO CREDITS...wow, stupid son of a, I have to, I hate WAIT!!!

Thats about how I felt
                I know totally sux. One more week.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  You could reply to me without the sarcasm, but it's cool.
                  But then I would be Linda
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Wonderful episode! Like a smorgasbord though, with so many bits that I can honestly say I don't know where they'll go from this point. They could pick up on any piece and just build from there.

Go back to the alien planet and learn more about the ship, and possibly the aliens and Rush?

Is it me or did one of those symbols bear a striking resemblance to the Destiny's shape?

Greer came back just a touch darker, we could go there. He said to Young that they wouldn't have left him if they didn't think he was already dead but is that a good enough reason for him really? From this, I've seen that Greer doesn't leave anybody and he'll walk through hell, and fire too, no less, for people. So how does he really feel about being left?

Then we could go with Chloe and her ability to see the map, and then her ability to read on the ship...wow, what's going on there!

Scott made my heart hurt because I don't think he would have left but he's going with what's alive and salvagable.

Riley doing that for Eli was really touching but sad too. There is a definite team spirit growing on the ship. TJ/Park/James...lots of moments there.

And for last, I leave TJ and Young. That really touched me, to the point where I misted up. Young has so much on his plate - I know everyone does but he's in charge so it's his responsibility - but he reacted just right to that. He showed a gentleness that, even as a Young fan, I hadn't expected to see. It was very touching.
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                      Is it me or did one of those symbols bear a striking resemblance to the Destiny's shape?
                      I noticed that too. The first page I noticed it on only had one of them, so I figured that's why Chloe had Eli go back to that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post

One thing that I'm mildly disappointed about is the lack of truly alien planets. All the trees on every planet they've visited so far have been very similar to Earth trees. I'd like them to find a place where the vegetation, at the very least, was truly exotic. Not planets that look like Vermont, New Mexico, or British Columbia all the time. I'm fine with those once in a while, I just think the writers missed out on the opportunity to really wow us with their planet-design skills.
                        There was purple plant panet in 1:11 just a couple episodes ago...

Comment

Enjoyed this Greer-centric story.

My only objection to the story was how easy it was for Eli & the female to decode the alien display device and system. That seemed waaaayyy to quick.

Quite fine with TJ's pregnancy announcement. It was never going to be not awkward.

As for how the stranded trio can reunite with their comrades: The planet on which they are stuck had a previous civilization - perhaps that might be a plot device. Or, since galaxies' stellar distribution don't just drop off to 0 right away, Destiny may find an outlying star system that is in reach of one other gate. Or, the blue aliens might find them.

On that last thought - remember there are two other planets now with stranded humans, and the blue aliens might be searching all planets with stargates for possible humans, now since they found one with a human (Rush.)
                          Last edited by senilegreen; 30 April 2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

This is more like it...great great episode.

Comment

Surprise ending.
                              Under the Ice of Antarctica....
                              O'Neill: I cant go on....
                              Carter: You spent 7 Years on MacGyver and you cant figure this one out. We got belt buckles, and shoelaces and a piece of gum build me a Nuclear reactor for crying out loud. You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimik but now your Mister MacUseless.

Comment

Great episode was great. And here's hoping this post shows up, what with Gateworld's on-and-off stuff at the minute. Seriously, the episode was great. Minor little niggles sure, but the big picture was damn near perfect and the ending seriously shocked me - Human's didn't, but this one did, simply because I honestly keep thinking this would be the type of show to wrap things up like the previous SG's. NOPE! Hence, the awesome.

First off, onto the visual/audial stuff. Music was fine, so I don't know why I mention the audio... except for the funny noises the alien ship made. That was fun. Visually, the episode did feel a little differently shot, but it wasn't awful. It wasn't even that noticeable the first run through. Onto the alien planets - I know people above me are *****ing about them not being alien enough, but I'd personally rather a whole buncha planets that look like these instead of planets that look way too alien and fake. Too BSG in the 70's. Some creative lighting tricks, use of CG... BAM! Planets that look different as all hell - look at the difference between the crystal planet Rush and James were on compared to the Vermont planet. Just a great little distinction.

To the rest of the plot: Interestingly laid out. Start off with some exposition, followed by some more exposition, and we understand that the Stargates around here suck compared to the Milky Way/Pegasus, and that gate hopping is the only viable option. Solution to the episode is right off the bat - use the Stargates. The going backwards thing was... ouch for the Scott team. Rush and James's simultaneous trips was a smart move to be done by Young. The going backwards thing, again, was ouch, but I love love LOVED that Scott's team looked to be having hope by using the alien ship to find the route back... and failing. Ouch, again.

Onto the characters! Greer first, of course. Guy was great, backstory made sense, and I felt for him. One of his greatest little moments was trapped under the rocks - the look on his face as he struggled to escape was played to a "t" by Jamil Walker Smith. His flashes impressed me for being instant and quick. Nothing drawn out (Except maybe the hospital scene with the crazed guy being tacked by Daddy Greer. Seemed a bit too long), just to the point. His final scene with his mother about enlistment was great. So too was great how guilty he looked to be surviving at the end of the episode. He just sat down on the bed and looked... lost. I'm wondering if he'll be a little harder around the edges for a bit now - it's a dark turn if so.

Onto Scott's team. Nothing they did hurt my logic, so good move there. David Blue as Eli was probably the star there - while Scott played tormented leader and Chloe played mediator, Eli was cracking up and delivering lines of exposition in a very manic, neurotic, Eli-y way. Kinda like McKay, but in a much less self-assured way, because its true: Eli's smart, but he ain't superman. A nice distinction. Scott was fine in his leadership role, though there was a lot of doubting for him, as expected. I loved how he never even tried to comfort Chloe as a boyfriend - he was military and in charge of their safety first and foremost. Boo yah. Chloe was fun and useful. Found the map (Though Eli must've made it appear by wishing for it earlier in the episode. ) and the alien thing... an interesting side effect of her capture? Great. What may've seemed contrived last week to have her along turned interesting this week - I wonder if her alien connection will be the only way back on the Destiny?

TJ and Young - greatly appreciated their scenes together. Nothing over the top or what anybody would call soapy (Except our friends at SGUSucks.com), just a nice little scene with a promise from Young to do the right thing. It may conflict with a lot of other things, but Young's doing the right thing. He may be nuts most of the time, but he's still got decent edges to him. TJ herself looked so relieved that I thought I may just break down myself... if I weren't such a manly man, 'course.

There were other players too, so let's appreciate them. James's issues with being thrust into the role of head military gal with Scott gone is a nice culmination of her arc this season (What with Space and the Air extended edition). Shame she's not over Scott, and it was a shame that Young never gave her a reassuring chat. Maybe next epi, eh? Rush - good on him for not starting fights. Also good move by the writers to leave the Human mystery behind for a bit. There was no solving the 46 thing in this episode. Good good. Props to Riley too. Trying to take up Eli's mantle was kinda sweet.

All in all, a cracker of an episode. One of my favourites this second half (Next to Divided), simply because it had variety coming out the wazoo. Some character moments (Greer), some arc continuation (Space-Divided alien kidnapping of Chloe, Young and TJ), some action (AHH! Dinorancor!), lots of Stargate use (Had to do it sometime!), exploration (Duh), alien planets, alien creatures and envirnoments... and a balls-tighteningly shocking ending.
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X