The Destiny's shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Col.Ads View Post
    We have seen the Daedalus, albeit in variations come very close to a sun without a ZPM and we have seen the Daedalus with a ZPM take the brunt of a solar flare.

At the very least you could say given the first example that Asgard Shields are strong enough to approach a sun, Given the ancients understaning of technology it would not be suprising if Destiny's shields were developed for going near suns or other cosmic enomolies.
    Just admit the destiny kicks ass

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
      True they might not even do well in a battle they might just be designed to absorb all of the radiation to recharge. That would explain all of the damage on the ship if the shields aren't effective against weapons.
      I've been assuming that the damage was all from asteroid impacts and stuff like that. I guess they would have had to happen when the shields where off though (maybe it's run out of power before). I didn't figure an unmanned (or unAnciented) space ship would have been in very many battles (although I guess it only takes one).

Comment

Well if the Destiny is solar powered, then wouldn't being in the star give it a huge and constant amount of energy?
        Enough to say power the sheild and maintain it forever?
        This would make it both exstreamly powerfull and make it last forever.

Comment

I assume Destiny can also defend itself from aggressive attackers automatically but just cant repair itself.
          sigpic

Comment

What about the shields being powered from a capacitor-like device?
            It was in the sun for just few minutes. (like 5?) Possibly the shields ware so strong because they consumed a lot of POWER, witch can be supplied only by a capacitor-like devise (in that time) witch is charged for... hours?

But then again a ZPM is very good a POWER supply.
            But then again a ZPM powered earth ship survived a MEGA (as stated and happens once in... 10k years?) solar flare right in the face...
            That red dwarf is not THAT hot after all...
            sigpic

Comment

Maybe the shields are only configured for atmospheric containment and sun protection. Hence the 'battle damage'.

Comment

RUSH : We're gonna live, Eli.

WALLACE : What about the turbulence and the heat and the death?

RUSH: No, all of that would have happened by now. The shield is protecting us.

ARMSTRONG: But you said we were out of power.

RUSH: I was absolutely certain of that, and I've never been more pleased to be wrong in all my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                  @latvian_stargatefan & karoush47

Sorry guys but that makes no sense at all. You're effectively saying that Destiny is technologically superior to Atlantis and Aurora class ships, which is obviously untrue.

The "height" of the British Empire was over 100 years ago. So, single-shot Enfield rifle, or an SA80? Nuff said.
                  a mark 1 SA80?............. give me the enfield!
                  sigpic
                  EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                  -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                    a mark 1 SA80?............. give me the enfield!
                    Defo a mk2 mate.
                    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      Do we know for sure that the shield was up for that time?
                      Touche

... but i still think it's rather interesting what the capabilities of the ships shields would be, as for the other ships being able to take a hit from a solar flare that is nothing compared to actually being inside the star itself.
                      I think from what someone else said that whilst it is in the star it is possible that it uses A LOT more energy on the shields because at that point it cant because of all the energy that is being transferred and stored.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post

... but i still think it's rather interesting what the capabilities of the ships shields would be, as for the other ships being able to take a hit from a solar flare that is nothing compared to actually being inside the star itself.
                        Actually, in this case, it isn't...
                        sigpic

Comment

These are the right shields, in the right place.
                          Can't wait to see how they hold up to weapons fire.

Comment

Destiny's shield strength is some what of a contradiction given that Atlantis's shields with three ZPM's were effected alot by a brush with the atmosphere and the releatively small amount of heat created by that friction.

The only logical answer seems to be as others have said that the shields are powered directly by the sun which means the hotter it is, the more power they have.
                            As for weapons fire if it can take the heat and kenetic force of a star it should handle weapons or meteorites easily but will depend on power since it wont have unlimited energy to draw up on. But then maybe its shields can absorbe the energy from thoses as well much like the ori shield in beach head.

As for aurora class ships being made for lack of a better word cheaply, I imagine they were, for the purposes of being build rapidly and resource efficiant to get as many out there fighting against the superiour wraith numbers as they could. They did after all have a large area to protect in the begining. I would hope that the more modern ancient ships prior to the wraith conflict were alot more advanced than the aurora's but perhaps they got destroyed early on.

Comment

To say the Destiny is in anyway superior to the "modern" version of Ancient tech is just ridiculous. Just because the shield could withstand the stars power doesn't mean it had better shields. Destiny was clearly designed to recharge using stars. It only makes sense that the Destiny would have shields specifically designed for this. It stands to reason that the Destiny shields were being powered by the star.

Even though the stress on the Destiny was enormous the Destiny also had a somewhat abundant power source to draw from.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
                                To say the Destiny is in anyway superior to the "modern" version of Ancient tech is just ridiculous. Just because the shield could withstand the stars power doesn't mean it had better shields. Destiny was clearly designed to recharge using stars. It only makes sense that the Destiny would have shields specifically designed for this. It stands to reason that the Destiny shields were being powered by the star.

Even though the stress on the Destiny was enormous the Destiny also had a somewhat abundant power source to draw from.
                                Yup this pretty much nails it I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X