How did you guys know it was ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    yeah that is weird. makes you wonder about how it got wrecked if its meant to be super strong.
    It has an ancient shield, and as we know, so long as power is there, they've been consistently shown to defend against anything. Destiny only needed to collect power and so some of it could have augmented the shields whilst it was in the corona.

Similiar to how on atlantis they stopped the gate exploding by encapsulating it in the city shield, now that did burn out after a minute or two, but Destiny was in the sun for around a minute or so I believe, so it makes sense to me that it came out of it before its emitters were fried.

Comment

seriously i never saw that coming. it looked like an accident of sorts. i mean whos sane enough to have a ship go through a star? the thought of it collecting some weird matter from stars came to mind but not in this episode, only in the pilot.
      The ship has to have some sort of reactor. Star Plasma will eventually cool to inert hydrogen so that hydrogen likely is fueling a power plant.

I knew the ship was going to refuel because of it's course at the end of the episode and that the ship wasn't completely out of power like Rush said. They still had life support and partial shields. So when Rush said, Our power is....gone, all our reserves....are gone...I knew that was a set up because it wasn't true, they still had power.

Angst:
      This is why I say that Darkness should have been the first episode, then Air.
      Because if the ship didn't have so many holes to need forcefields and power then that wouldn't have given away that the ship had power in Light.

If you knew the ship had power and the trajectory was not accidental (which would be an astronomical coincidence of the highest order....

Then you knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Azureus View Post
        It has an ancient shield, and as we know, so long as power is there, they've been consistently shown to defend against anything. Destiny only needed to collect power and so some of it could have augmented the shields whilst it was in the corona.

Similiar to how on atlantis they stopped the gate exploding by encapsulating it in the city shield, now that did burn out after a minute or two, but Destiny was in the sun for around a minute or so I believe, so it makes sense to me that it came out of it before its emitters were fried.
        corona always sounded sexy to me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
          The ship has to have some sort of reactor. Star Plasma will eventually cool to inert hydrogen so that hydrogen likely is fueling a power plant.

I knew the ship was going to refuel because of it's course at the end of the episode and that the ship wasn't completely out of power like Rush said. They still had life support and partial shields. So when Rush said, Our power is....gone, all our reserves....are gone...I knew that was a set up because it wasn't true, they still had power.

Angst:
          This is why I say that Darkness should have been the first episode, then Air.
          Because if the ship didn't have so many holes to need forcefields and power then that wouldn't have given away that the ship had power in Light.

If you knew the ship had power and the trajectory was not accidental (which would be an astronomical coincidence of the highest order....

Then you knew.
          what made you so sure though. anything couldve happened.
          sigpic

Comment

i used to play a game in 1984 called elite on the bbc micro, had to pull a similar maneuver to get free fuel.

not INTO a star admittedly, that's ridiculous! just had to skim it in the game.

the idea isn't new.
            sigpic
            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
              i used to play a game in 1984 called elite on the bbc micro, had to pull a similar maneuver to get free fuel.

the idea isn't new.
              Great Scott! I've played that game too. I was never good at that maneuver let alone the docking but I was real young so...

what made you so sure though. anything couldve happened.
              It's just and educated guess.
              But then again it is a TV show so this was very obvious from just that stand point. If there had been something that happened to throw off it's course I would said the star trajectory was an accident but trajectories like that don't just happen on accident.

It's the first real attempt of SGU to be real and scientific.

Comment

you guys gotten used to the fact that the ship always knows what its doing. how come Atlantis wasnt equipped with such intelligence? there is a reason people.
                atlantis was pretty intelligent but it wasn't built to be unmaned for part of its life like destiny was

Comment

the idea isn't new.
                  haha well im not that old, but i played Sins of the Solar empire and you had to refuel colony ships by going to a star.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                    Great Scott! I've played that game too. I was never good at that maneuver let alone the docking but I was real young so...
                    embrace me brother!!

back when being "elite" or "leet" meant something

haha well im not that old, but i played Sins of the Solar empire and you had to refuel colony ships by going to a star.
                    akkan battlecruiser if you play TEC has colonize as ability, i don't build colony ships eradicate enemies in system and instantly colonize neutral planets
                    Last edited by rlr149; 26 October 2009, 04:32 AM.
                    sigpic
                    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

The concept of the Buzzard Scoop has been around for years. Chemically based engines would require simple elements and the best way to get them is to fly right thru them.

The shields protected against radiation and heat whilst Destiny (how ever she did it) refueled on at least the basics.

The length of time spent within the star suggests that either Destiny is now at capacity, or that the cost of running the shields at that power for that duration was simply too much.

Either way we're now at least charged enuf to get things moving along!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

I knew it was refuelling, it had to, otherwise the show couldn't continue, I just wasn't expecting the destiny to fly right into the star!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredat44 View Post
                          just how many sci-fi shows and episodes of ship refueling from stars and nebulas do you have to see before it gets old..

of course we saw it coming..

maybe not from the ship being dark, but when the star came into the picture..
                          Its a fairly old SF Trophe wildeness refuleing from Gas giants is a common method of refuling in SF - not seen it done in a sun that offten unless its a shout out to Samuel R. Delany's NOVA ( a proto cyberpunk classic)
                          ----------------------------
                          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Ancient ships do stupid things all the time, that's how i knew. The Destiny was smart enough to be able to find exactly what it needed to have hte LS system repaired with Rush just telling it what hte problem was, it was made to be self sufficient for millions of years without support. It's a freaking computer. There is no way in existance it would be stupid enough to FAIL to pull off a slingshot maneouvre without knowing exactly where it was ending up. Not unless the planet exploded halfway through the maneouvre or the Destiny flew into something.

Comment

akkan battlecruiser if you play TEC has colonize as ability, i don't build colony ships eradicate enemies in system and instantly colonize neutral planets
                              Pshhh, colony capital ships are overrated. Kol all the way!
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Well, it was pretty obvious that the whole thing had to do with refueling in some form.

I was quite annoyed with the fact that a self-proclaimed geek like Eli didn't see it coming, since there are numerous references in sci-fi...It was one of the things that bugged me about the episode.
                                Okay, so say Young & Co. aren't willing to put their fate in Eli's hands. Say they still go ahead and send off the shuttle and prepare for the end but, for God's sake, at least acknowledge the possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X