How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    While I think "crisis of faith" is a touch extreme, I'm very glad you posted this. You've approached this from an angle entirely different from my approach, and I still agree with everything you've said.
    WHen I say Crisis of faith I mean that

He has his beliefs but he's lost so much faith in himself from the mistakes he's made that he's able to use that to rationalize commiting other sins, people of all faith's go through this. As much as we are able to ask forgiveness of God or whomever we may believe in we have to forgive ourselves for it. Otherwise it's like saying "well I screwed up once, now I can't be forgiven so I might as well keep screwing up."
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Regardless if he wanted to be a priest or was raised Catholic, he can change is mind can he not? I think it's pretty clear that something significantly changed his outlook on life as he went from wanting to be a priest to going into the military, probably more then getting a girl pregnant. Perhaps he turned his back on the whole thing. If he did, there's no reason to repent or feel remorse. If he didn't, then we should get some kind of guilt scene from him. However, considering the only remorse he had after being with James was that he didn't finish, I don't think he's going to feel guilty about Chloe.
      Last edited by Myles; 24 October 2009, 05:35 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
        I don't know what they are teaching kids these days but having sex does not automatically knock you up.

Its been a while since I've been in Catholic school or a church for that matter but I seem to recall a pretty standard tenant of Christianity is that you sin and then ask for forgiveness. If Scott views premarital sex as a sin, he can ask for forgiveness and its all cool. Sinning doesn't mean he is a bad Christian, just means he's a normal Christian.
        Of course one must ask for forgiveness, but then you don't go purposely repeating that same sin. Through God's help one can overcome that sin. (And of course no one is perfect and makes mistakes.) This is what is wrong with Christianity today. People just think that all it takes is to be sorry for what they've done and to try to be a good person.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
          If he had sworn off his religion and was behaving the way he is, that might have been interesting (or more interesting than whats being offered). But he didn't, he retains his religion (calling for people to pray and religious hallucinations) AND repeating his epic fail. That just seems silly to me.
          When was it said that he called people to pray? I must have missed that part because I don't remember that at all.
          "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
          - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Daniela View Post
            Of course one must ask for forgiveness, but then you don't go purposely repeating that same sin. Through God's help one can overcome that sin. (And of course no one is perfect and makes mistakes.) This is what is wrong with Christianity today. People just think that all it takes is to be sorry for what they've done and to try to be a good person.
            I agree with you 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
              When was it said that he called people to pray? I must have missed that part because I don't remember that at all.
              I'll concede I am half wrong. He didn't call people to pray, hey prayed for the people. Though, in the context of the point I was trying to make, doesn't matter, just as valid. He clearly has not turned his back on it.
              Originally posted by transcript
              SCOTT (to Eli, offscreen): What, is it on? (He looks at the Kino.) Lieutenant Matthew Scott. Twenty-six years old ... and ... (he looks at Eli again) ... I'd like to say a prayer for all of us, if that's OK.

WALLACE (offscreen): Sure, yeah. Whatever you want.

SCOTT (his eyes closed): The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me to still waters

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                Actually, he 'knocked up' only one girl (since 'knock up' means to get pregnant) and just had sex, unless Chloe suddenly goes "I'm pregnant!" in a future episode

Well, he was going to go into the priesthood, according to one of those video shorts on MGM's site, so I'd say he's a very lapsed Catholic, judging from what we've seen. He's human, but yes, tv sometimes treats sex more as a sport than an act of love *cough*.

I seriously doubt Chloe was a virgin. In fact, the only virgin on the ship might be, um, er, *cough* Eli...

I would like to see Scott confront the ethical dilemma of once having aimed to serve God as his career path, to now, well, screwing other soldiers in a closet while on duty (I think I'm so jaded about this that I'm more POed about him doing it on duty than about doing it!)
                Ya i made a mistake, i misused the term "knock up", my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniela View Post
                  Well its better than what they did in the middle ages when you could buy your absolution.

But maybe Scott doesn't view sex as a sin. Maybe he's a weekend Catholic. We just don't know enough about his faith to make that determination.

Granted its been a while since I've consider myself a Christian but I do know that there are many different beliefs within the Christian denomination, Catholics do things differently than evangelicals, who do things differently than Lutherans and so one. What I remember from growing up Catholic, is that you'd go to confession, you'd confess, the priest would give you absolution.

Comment

Scott doesn't really care what happens. If he gets a booty call, that whats important to him. His Christian or whatever faith is a justification to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                      I'll concede I am half wrong. He didn't call people to pray, hey prayed for the people. Though, in the context of the point I was trying to make, doesn't matter, just as valid. He clearly has not turned his back on it.
                      Ok. Just making sure I hadn't missed anything. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                        Ya i made a mistake, i misused the term "knock up", my bad.
                        well, in some countries 'knock up' means to simply knock on door to wake you up, too

Comment

I don't see the point of showing Scott as being Christian only by name. His character would be interesting, as in different, if he was a devout christian in the army and in this difficult situation. Its Christian affiliation seem to have been written as an after thought. Well, maybe he got Chloe pregnant too...
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I would like a scene in the future in which Chloe confronts Scott to have sex again and he refuses her desire.

BUT

That would probably not happen.

Instead it would be...

Chloe: Lets have sex
                            Scott: Sure babe, after all im already going to be saved since i believe in Christ so my sex life does not matter, besides everyone sins so what difference would it be if i sinned again?

Or what would be better is this....

Priest Hallucination: My Boy, He has plans for you and having sex with Chloe is not one of them.

Scott: Im sorry i failed you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                              I don't see the point of showing Scott as being Christian only by name. His character would be interesting, as in different, if he was a devout christian in the army and in this difficult situation. Its Christian affiliation seem to have been written as an after thought. Well, maybe he got Chloe pregnant too...
                              That would actually be funny. Reminds me when Vala said to Daneil, "Lets make babies!"

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                                Even the most devout Christin has been known to repeat the same mistake over and over again.

Really, we only superficially know about his faith, there is plenty of time to keep on exploring it.
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X