No announcement yet.

How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you all establishing he's Catholic? He was using thees and thous and a lot of King James-ish stuff in his prayers. Catholics don't do much of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
      How are you all establishing he's Catholic? He was using thees and thous and a lot of King James-ish stuff in his prayers. Catholics don't do much of that.
      Air Part 3 spoilers
      Spoiler:

He was raised by a Catholic priest. It stands to reason that a Catholic priest is not going to raise a child according to, say, a Hindu belief structure
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
        Wow you are SO TOTALLY RIGHT. As long as 2 people enjoy it is OK. Then there is NOTHING wrong with an older man having sex with a little girl, if they both enjoy. Thanks for clearing that up for me
        /sarcasm
        I don't think Evil Canvil could have made that job, good job o.o

Comment

I'm not saying hindu smartalec I'm saying it could have been a Protestant or Lutheran or Methodist or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
            I'm not saying hindu smartalec I'm saying it could have been a Protestant or Lutheran or Methodist or something else.
            It was just an example, and the point stands regardless of whether you sub in "Protestant," "Lutheran," or "Methodist" for where I said "Hindu"
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Protestants don't wear that collar you saw in Air III. Luthereans might (I'm unsure) but its primarly a Catholic thing for priests
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Im starting to have a problem with Scott here. We have been shown in a flashback that he regrets and has a sense of guilt for having sex with a 16 year old girl.

Lets now fast-forward to the present of SGU. Scott here has now knocked up 2 girls in the time of a few days. He seems to show no regret in doing it, contrary from his experiences in the past. Now im not saying he is a non-christian, all people sin whether they are christian or not. What im saying is that he is not even trying not to sin. They should have had him questioning himself after he had sex with Chloe.

Another problem i have is that there is no "love" in there sex act. They are just doing it for pleasure and comfort. They are degrading the act of sex (imo).

He should have been more responsible and think before acting (especially as a christian man). For one, he was not wearing a condom (i think), he could have given Chloe an STD or gotten her pregnant. Maybe he even stole her virginity.

Does anyone have a problem with this other then me? His whole character seems contradictory and a paradox. It would be nice to show him in a scene in a later episode praying and admitting his sin.

Maybe he needs an hallucination of his priest to give him advice....but that would be to much like BSG.

It just seems to me that they are making out Scott to be more of a Whore then a Christian man who has faults and is trying to correct them.
                Actually, he 'knocked up' only one girl (since 'knock up' means to get pregnant) and just had sex, unless Chloe suddenly goes "I'm pregnant!" in a future episode

Well, he was going to go into the priesthood, according to one of those video shorts on MGM's site, so I'd say he's a very lapsed Catholic, judging from what we've seen. He's human, but yes, tv sometimes treats sex more as a sport than an act of love *cough*.

I seriously doubt Chloe was a virgin. In fact, the only virgin on the ship might be, um, er, *cough* Eli...

I would like to see Scott confront the ethical dilemma of once having aimed to serve God as his career path, to now, well, screwing other soldiers in a closet while on duty (I think I'm so jaded about this that I'm more POed about him doing it on duty than about doing it!)

Comment

I don't think Scott could stay faithful in a committed relationship. And he's probably one of those Catholics that think that as long as they confess their sins to their "Father/priest" then they'll go to heaven or purgatory. Never mind about overcoming sin and living a holy life.

Comment

I don't know what they are teaching kids these days but having sex does not automatically knock you up.

Its been a while since I've been in Catholic school or a church for that matter but I seem to recall a pretty standard tenant of Christianity is that you sin and then ask for forgiveness. If Scott views premarital sex as a sin, he can ask for forgiveness and its all cool. Sinning doesn't mean he is a bad Christian, just means he's a normal Christian.

Comment

Maybe he even stole her virginity.
                      *Snickers* I doubt that very much!
                      Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
                        I don't know what they are teaching kids these days but having sex does not automatically knock you up.

Its been a while since I've been in Catholic school or a church for that matter but I seem to recall a pretty standard tenant of Christianity is that you sin and then ask for forgiveness. If Scott views premarital sex as a sin, he can ask for forgiveness and its all cool. Sinning doesn't mean he is a bad Christian, just means he's a normal Christian.
                        Ha! But how many people think "just this once won't get me pregnant" and next thing you know, bun in the oven!

Yeah, but if he asks for forgiveness, he shouldn't keep doing it...

Comment

...Honestly when I first saw this thread I thought that maybe I had been transported into the world of The Office and Micheal Scott had posted it...I had to do a few double takes to get it into my head.

Really? Quite honestly I concider myself to be very open minded HOWEVER I cant help but be slightly insulted as a christian by this thread. I know that is not going to be a popular statement but honestly? I don't care.

People have everyright to their opinion but this is...I feel like the rules and laws of my faith are being dissected in such a way that would be just as inappropriate for myself to perform surgery on a person without training

Statement's like
                          Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                          Too bad he isn't a Catholic priest, otherwise the church would have covered up all his sexual escapades and moved him to another parish.
                          ....just....leave me stunned.

Scott simply is a young man in a crisis of faith, nothing more, nothing less.
                          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

There is no indication that he does, however.
                            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                              ...Honestly when I first saw this thread I thought that maybe I had been transported into the world of The Office and Micheal Scott had posted it...I had to do a few double takes to get it into my head.

Really? Quite honestly I concider myself to be very open minded HOWEVER I cant help but be slightly insulted as a christian by this thread. I know that is not going to be a popular statement but honestly? I don't care.

People have everyright to their opinion but this is...I feel like the rules and laws of my faith are being dissected in such a way that would be just as inappropriate for myself to perform surgery on a person without training

Statement's like

....just....leave me stunned.

Scott simply is a young man in a crisis of faith, nothing more, nothing less.
                              While I think "crisis of faith" is a touch extreme, I'm very glad you posted this. You've approached this from an angle entirely different from my approach, and I still agree with everything you've said.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                                They arefriends. Watch the body language in every episode so far--it was evident they struck up a friendship right from when they met on the Hammond.
                                You are not debating these issues fairly. Friend vs. Friendly. A friend knows you, would probably help you bury a body, maybe you shower dress in front of them, maybe. Someone you just met, whom you really know nothing about on a personal level, that is Friendly, and maybe its just my slice of the world, but not likely to shower in front of them.
                                Exactly that. Calling out women for being "sluts" or "trampy" because they want to get laid as much as men do is thinly veiled misogyny, at best.
                                I didn't say Scott wasn't trampy? Its a word, so is slut. They have meaning, and perceived meaning. Sleeping with people you barely know qualifies. If you don't like that, take it up with webster, but don't bury your head in the sand and pretend like there is no such thing.
                                We're talking about how someone's actions reflects on their beliefs, and you don't understand how explaining the basis for those beliefs is related?
                                No, I don't understand your Jesus reference in the context of the conversation we were having.
                                Why would I condemn someone over doing something perfectly natural and relatible?
                                Is that the problem, you have random sex with people you barely know that seemingly contradicts your upbringing and therefore you find it offensive when people condemn it?

Sex is natural. So is love. Random sex with a practical stranger, less so. Random sex with a stranger when it conflicts with your alleged upbringing and the source of your deep emotional conflict/issues, still even more less so.
                                He used to want to be a priest, but look at that: he's human. To err is human, "failure" isn't part of the equation.
                                Why are you being so stubborn and semantical. He err'd, he failed, he didn't succeed. Makes no difference what you call it. Wanted to be a priest, he wasn't why?
                                Assumptions are being made that being a priest was his career path, when we've only seen him in the present and in a flashback to years ago.
                                Wasn't that actually in the storyline?

Comment

Working...
                                X