How Christian of him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
    Wow you are SO TOTALLY RIGHT. As long as 2 people enjoy it is OK. Then there is NOTHING wrong with an older man having sex with a little girl, if they both enjoy. Thanks for clearing that up for me
    /sarcasm
    He's 28, she's 24. That's hardly robbing the cradle.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Too bad he isn't a Catholic priest, otherwise the church would have covered up all his sexual escapades and moved him to another parish.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief Christanity is like every other religion and atheism. Their are good people who follow it and people who just pretend to follow it
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Im starting to have a problem with Scott here. We have been shown in a flashback that he regrets and has a sense of guilt for having sex with a 16 year old girl.

Lets now fast-forward to the present of SGU. Scott here has now knocked up 2 girls in the time of a few days. He seems to show no regret in doing it, contrary from his experiences in the past. Now im not saying he is a non-christian, all people sin whether they are christian or not. What im saying is that he is not even trying not to sin. They should have had him questioning himself after he had sex with Chloe.

Another problem i have is that there is no "love" in there sex act. They are just doing it for pleasure and comfort. They are degrading the act of sex (imo).

He should have been more responsible and think before acting (especially as a christian man). For one, he was not wearing a condom (i think), he could have given Chloe an STD or gotten her pregnant. Maybe he even stole her virginity.

Does anyone have a problem with this other then me? His whole character seems contradictory and a paradox. It would be nice to show him in a scene in a later episode praying and admitting his sin.

Maybe he needs an hallucination of his priest to give him advice....but that would be to much like BSG.

It just seems to me that they are making out Scott to be more of a Whore then a Christian man who has faults and is trying to correct them.
          You have no idea what the typical, average, Christian is. Assuming that he is devout or anything of the sorts is absurd. Equating the term Christian to some who follows the tenants of Christianity strictly is in error.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Wow you are SO TOTALLY RIGHT. As long as 2 people enjoy it is OK. Then there is NOTHING wrong with an older man having sex with a little girl, if they both enjoy. Thanks for clearing that up for me
            /sarcasm
            Older? Little? Really?
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Another problem i have is that there is no "love" in there sex act. They are just doing it for pleasure and comfort. They are degrading the act of sex (imo).
              What else would you have sex for? Sex is a good way to relieve stress and relax.

Doctors constantly talk about how a healthy sex life leads to a healthy life in general. It's just like breathing. Its something you do because your body needs it.
              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
                I have a problem with it from the military standpoint. Sounds a bit like conduct unbecoming an officer to me.

As I said before:

So yeah, I agree with haloplayer. This character is one of the reasons why I was afraid of this show. If he weren't there or even a major character, then I'd be a bit more happy, still not perfect, but hey... alas, he's a major character with major holes in him. If he isn't stopped somehow, he'll single-handedly turn this into the Stargate 90210 that we all feared.

Hah people in the military including officers are always looking for a shag, take that from someone who’s in the military. After being on ops for 6 months and not getting any, you’re prepared to jump into bed with the first willing human female. Scott’s behaviour with Lt James was against regs, doesn’t mean that sort of thing doesn’t happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  He's 28, she's 24. That's hardly robbing the cradle.
                  Actually, according to their statements for the kino thingy, Scott is 26 and Chloe is 23. Other than that, they are both old enough to consent to what they did, whether anybody else approves of it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    Actually, according to their statements for the kino thingy, Scott is 26 and Chloe is 23. Other than that, they are both old enough to consent to what they did, whether anybody else approves of it or not.
                    Right you are, I just looked at how old the actors are
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Im starting to have a problem with Scott here. We have been shown in a flashback that he regrets and has a sense of guilt for having sex with a 16 year old girl.

Lets now fast-forward to the present of SGU. Scott here has now knocked up 2 girls in the time of a few days. He seems to show no regret in doing it, contrary from his experiences in the past. Now im not saying he is a non-christian, all people sin whether they are christian or not. What im saying is that he is not even trying not to sin. They should have had him questioning himself after he had sex with Chloe.

He should have been more responsible and think before acting (especially as a christian man). For one, he was not wearing a condom (i think), he could have given Chloe an STD or gotten her pregnant. Maybe he even stole her virginity.

Does anyone have a problem with this other then me? His whole character seems contradictory and a paradox. It would be nice to show him in a scene in a later episode praying and admitting his sin.

Maybe he needs an hallucination of his priest to give him advice....but that would be to much like BSG.

It just seems to me that they are making out Scott to be more of a Whore then a Christian man who has faults and is trying to correct them.
                      Yeah, I have a huge problem with it. The other theory is that he isn't Christian, but he was raised and is in the customs. Either that or it is another one of their (the world's) ways to degrade Christianity and (the creators of SG) persuade people towards New Age, because "hey, it's not that bad. Want it, do it" ....

Gah, it was created for married couples . It is not for personal "stress relief", it is for those inside a marriage to show how much they love each other .. and have children...

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                        Older? Little? Really?
                        I was not calling Scott an older man, or Chloe a little girl. I was trying to say just because 2 people enjoy having sex with each other doesn't make it right.

Comment

Believing it's right for yourself to abstain outside marriage is one thing, and entirely valid if that fits into your belief structure.

Believing nobody should have sex outside marriage is presumptuous naivety.

Comment

I was not calling Scott an older man, or Chloe a little girl. I was trying to say just because 2 people enjoy having sex with each other doesn't make it right.
                            Just a note to say that yes, my post was made in context with the thread and not to be taken as my opinion for sexual relations outside of SGU.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Believing it's right for yourself to abstain outside marriage is one thing, and entirely valid if that fits into your belief structure.

Believing nobody should have sex outside marriage is presumptuous naivety.
                              I never said that. You are putting words into my mouth.

Comment

What im saying is that he is not even trying not to sin. They should have had him questioning himself after he had sex with Chloe.
                                I'll try to address some of your points, and I bet I can do it without even taking cheap pot shots at Christianity and priests.

No, you are not the only one having a problem with it. I wouldn't care that he's a Christian that fails to live up to the ideal. That truly is human. I don't care that he has sex.

Why is he a failed Christian and not a moderate to successful one? The writers. Because its not 'chic', 'hip', 'dark', and/or 'gritty' to portray Christians that way. Why is he a failure as a character? Because simply giving someone emotional/dysfunctional problems does not = depth.

He was not written as your ordinary Christian, he was written to be on track to be a priest. He had an epic fail with the sex. Seemed to rock his world. May or may not believe he let down/killed the only person who cared for him.

If he had sworn off his religion and was behaving the way he is, that might have been interesting (or more interesting than whats being offered). But he didn't, he retains his religion (calling for people to pray and religious hallucinations) AND repeating his epic fail. That just seems silly to me.

But then again, so does their portrayal of the military.

Comment

Working...
                                X