These are the wrong people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    They aren't the "best" people, but they do have a ton of good people. To (loosely) quote the general "We've been stepping through that thing for years... none of us are really qualified for it.".

There are some things that they will figure out. The ancient shuttle can't be very different from our ships once you know where the buttons are. Its like learning how to drive a manual transmission with the steering column on the opposite side. Heck, a CO2 scrubber is not that hard to make with soda lime and water, I would bet anyone who took highschool chemistry (at least when I was taking it or earlier) could have done the tests for the lime as long as they had the kit.

Riley can read ancient at least a little, so that explains how they found the recharging plate.

Coincidentally, does anyone else pray that they show up at a planet and Eli's cell phone rings because some aliens are using the same frequency as his cell phone for communications? That would be great. Eli answering his phone on instinct and causing an intergalactic incident.
    I guess I shouldn't have slept through my high school chemistry class!!
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

love it how jack was basically saying "suck it up and deal with it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        Oh yah.

...incompetent geologists......
        why do you call them incompetent?
        My Story:
        http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Originally posted by retiredat44 View Post
          why do you call them incompetent?
          Read my whole post. That was my first attempt at justifying the wrong people at the wrong place shenanigans. At least I tried... before I came to the evidence that they are actually some of the best people for the job!!
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I like that this last time Camile pulled him up on it with "That's up to you." While not exactly what she meant at the time, Young should be focusing on getting the best out of the people he has. I hope he starts to see it that way now.
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

They certainly are the wrong people, but, since Young only has a very short "brief" on these people, he is unable to determine their best use of talents and therefore know who to assign to what and what systems he has resources to throw at.

Young feels like he is trying to fight a fire with a petrol soaked rag!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
              : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                They certainly are the wrong people, but, since Young only has a very short "brief" on these people, he is unable to determine their best use of talents and therefore know who to assign to what and what systems he has resources to throw at.

I think as people start reaching a certain level of acceptance about their situation, like they're not getting home anytime soon, they're going to start stepping up--what Young wanted from them in the first place. As they all start to get their bearings and get used to working with each other, they'll probably find that as a group, they're probably stronger than they believe themselves to be (especially the secondary characters).
                sigpic

Comment

Actually these people really aren't even a good bunch of settlers. No one has practical experience in farming or building a stable house. They don't represent a good demographic group for a long time survival on the planet. They are all to technological to survive a prolonged period of time, let alone building up a permanent residence. An exploration team is not equipped with the skills needed for a successful settlement.

But it won't matter 15 people would be to few either way thinking permanent. Considering they could just live out their remaining life a lottery is as good as everything else. Surely he could have said another sentence, but the content is true.
                  sigpic
                  A lot of the things that made Stargate awesome, but just with steroids, spread all over it. - Brian J. Smith

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
                    Is this statement going to be yelled out in every episode?

When they search for food supplies, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

When they search for water supplies, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

When they fix the the Destiny's toilet systems, will Young yell out that "These are the wrong people for the job?"

How many more times will the writers reinforce that the Destiny's crew are the wrong people for the job?
                    I thought the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post

Maybe he should just interview and assign everybody tasks instead of whining "these are the wrong, people." Sorry, Colonel, but you can't take them back to Returns for a refund. you're stuck with 'em.

Comment

Had the Lucan Alliance attack not happened I wonder how many of the people currently aboard Destiny would have even been there? We don't know the size of Telford's team, but let's just say, for the sake of argument, that was the size of an average SG Team, even if he had somebody like Carter with him I doubt Telford would have had enough personnel to man the ship. In which case his team would be just as wrong as the Icarus Base survivors.

Comment

With the high quality of the script so far i can't see it being repeated much more.

Spoiler:
                          One this i can see coming in the future and i think i saw in a advert, is people from earth with various other skills aka doctor/ techies and stuff coming onto the ship via the stones. So these "wrong people" will not be there the whole time
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                            I think it will be repeated along with the line about Rush being a lot of walk. These things don't bother me however. I think it's a good series and i'm enjoying it a lot.
                            I thought Young was saying "a lot of work." Plus it's Young's personal saying that he uses. It's part of his character.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
                              How many more times will the writers reinforce that the Destiny's crew are the wrong people for the job?
                              What is generally niggling me about it IS that they keep reinforcing this idea.. This is not an expedition this is a group of survivors. you don't have "wrong people" in a group of survivors. You get what you are given and like it. When your hip deep in alligators you don't whinge about the temperature of the water, you find out who can do what and start utilising those skills as best you can, preferably cross training everyone else as an when you can.

Plus not everyone does everything that is written on paper, I mean yes their job may be an theoretical quantum physics scientist, or IOA HR executive, or cook, or marine but they may also have such hobbies as cooking, gardening, carpentry or mechanics... Skills which might come in useful in present and possible up and coming situations. Not everyone in this world is the grand sum of their chosen employment...
                              Well, let me see - we've got slow death, quick death, painful death, cold, lonely death.

Comment

Young is engaging in self-sabotage. He is creating his own future failure, and if he keeps it up, eventually no one will listen to him, even if he's right.

Comment

Working...
                                X