These are the wrong people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    This statement is almost as bad as "We're not supposed to be here!" and "I'm not even supposed to be here!"

Seriously, five for five, it is literally making me physically ill.
    Candidate for MattSilver3k's awards.

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
    To me that line is saying alot about young. He's so focused on these people being the wrong ones that it's clouding his judgement, instead he just needs to get on with it, find everyones skills and put them to use.
    Young and Wray got the ball rolling on this. Recall that during the morning briefing in the mess hall at the start of Darkness Young requested that Wray compile files on the crew and pass them on to him. Young also mentioned in Air 3 that people need to step up. He's not just sitting there whining and complaining (he's on the Destiny, not Gateworld after all), but putting the pieces into place. Perhaps when he finds the time to do so instead of contemplating suffocating or burning in a star, it'll get finished.
    Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      The only problem. Is that they don't look to be such bad people. As they are many scientists, geologists, astrophysist, soldiers etc. Its not like a bus full of tourists was sent to the Destiny. As of yet, only Chloe seem to be at the wrong place. As her qualification doesn't have direct use on the Destiny (except maybe for some administrative duty).
      we've barely seen what the other people can do but yes, most are military and/or scientific personnel. you do have camille, who is administrative. there's not a lot of paper to push around... however, once they start dragging in all the dark politics, I'm sure she'll be useful. Chloe, well, sorry to say, doesn't have any really practical skills to offer.

Comment

I really hate it.
        Its kind of a insult to the audience. We know their in trouble, we dont need to be told.

Comment

ok folks ......
          Do they have an agonomist or at the very least a master gardener for growing food?

Do they have a single person on board that can conceive, build, and put into service a wire or draw mill to make electical conductors? any colonization effort should include the entire contents of this book store http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Do the ever have a library of technical information so that one of the engineers on board can train and develop competent tinkers?

Do they have skilled hunters/outdoorsmen to forage and collect food?

Do they have field engineers to actually take charge of problems and drive them to completion or are the engineers desk jockeys?

Do they have any trademens or tinkers for that matter?

I know you all love rush but if you hand your broken hair dryer to him he lacks the knowledge to make a new one or to even fix the broken one. They do not even have anything you or I have in our garage for christ sake. YES THEY HAVE THE WRONG PEOPLE - WHY WOULD ANYONE THINK OTHERWISE?

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Bob View Post
            "Hey guys I lost my pen, can you help me find it?"

*After 10 minutes of searching*

"THESE ARE THE WRONG PEOPLE FOR THE JOB"

the phrase is going to have great parody potential if they keep chucking it in every episode

makes out a cast of adults to be whiney moping teenagers...

Comment

I have a feeling that eventually Young will ask someone to do something in a life or death situation only for them to tell him that "I'm the wrong person for this job!"

Young is going to have to have to get over that attitude before it infects the rest of the crew. The only way they are the 'wrong people' is if they choose to keep acting like it.
              sigpic
              Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                I have a feeling that eventually Young will ask someone to do something in a life or death situation only for them to tell him that "I'm the wrong person for this job!"

Young is going to have to have to get over that attitude before it infects the rest of the crew. The only way they are the 'wrong people' is if they choose to keep acting like it.
                "Wrong people" is shorter to say than "These people lack the skill sets conducive to long term survival on an alien vessel dating back millions of years".

Besides, the crew already knows. Becker's assignment was recipes, for crying out loud.
                Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                  "Wrong people" is shorter to say than "These people lack the skill sets conducive to long term survival on an alien vessel dating back millions of years".

Besides, the crew already knows. Becker's assignment was recipes, for crying out loud.
                  I've yet to see one person who lacks any skill necessary to survive. The only thing stopping them is their own emotions. If Young keeps telling them they 'dont have the skills to survive' eventually they'll believe it.

The Destiny runs itself, if these people can walk they can pretty much survive.
                  sigpic
                  Doci of the BAG

Comment

I see his point, right now they are the wrong people, What is needed is to find there strengths and build their weaknesses.
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I imagine that had everything gone as planned they would have sent a MALP through to Destiny then proceeded like any other SG team mission. So would Colonel Telford's team have been any better equipped to handle the situation? After all his team would have dialed into Destiny and faced the same air and power problems that these people have been facing.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                        I imagine that had everything gone as planned they would have sent a MALP through to Destiny then proceeded like any other SG team mission. So would Colonel Telford's team have been any better equipped to handle the situation? After all his team would have dialed into Destiny and faced the same air and power problems that these people have been facing.
                        In Air 3 they certainly did a good job. They figured out the Scrubber problem. Deduce the need for Lime. And correctly searched and found Lime with some scientific testing which I don't even know the specific. Then did a good job at removing, cleaning the scrubbers and making the whole Lime thing works. Now they are even piloting ancient ship as if it was nothing. Even managing the calculation and the piloting for an incredible sling shot maneuver. As an extra, they set up a recharger unit compatible with Ancient technology for all earth based device (ipod, etc). That in only 3 days. I put into motion that they are indeed: "the best people for the job"!!!
                        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

In Air 3 they certainly did a good job. They figured out the Scrubber problem. Deduce the need for Lime. And correctly searched and found Lime with some scientific testing which I don't even know the specific. Then did a good job at removing, cleaning the scrubbers and making the whole Lime thing works. Now they are even piloting ancient ship as if it was nothing. Even managing the calculation and the piloting for an incredible sling shot maneuver. As an extra, they set up a recharger unit compatible with Ancient technology for all earth based device (ipod, etc). That in only 3 days. I put into motion that they are indeed: "the best people for the job"!!!
                          Until their personal dramas get in the way, maybe?

I would think Telford's team would've pretty much done a play-by-play of Atlantis or something. They'd have the best best, and have them override the ship and lead it to the right planet with the lime (A different one to our desert planet or something) and manage to wake up a new enemy along the way. They'd also fix the power right away somehow. And the episode would end with Telford toasting with a new alien chick about finding the lost ship of Destiny, and the token doctor guy saying, "Why can't I have friends like that?"

Been there, done that.

Bring on the wrong people!
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

They aren't the "best" people, but they do have a ton of good people. To (loosely) quote the general "We've been stepping through that thing for years... none of us are really qualified for it.".

There are some things that they will figure out. The ancient shuttle can't be very different from our ships once you know where the buttons are. Its like learning how to drive a manual transmission with the steering column on the opposite side. Heck, a CO2 scrubber is not that hard to make with soda lime and water, I would bet anyone who took highschool chemistry (at least when I was taking it or earlier) could have done the tests for the lime as long as they had the kit.

Riley can read ancient at least a little, so that explains how they found the recharging plate.

Coincidentally, does anyone else pray that they show up at a planet and Eli's cell phone rings because some aliens are using the same frequency as his cell phone for communications? That would be great. Eli answering his phone on instinct and causing an intergalactic incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                              Riley can read ancient at least a little, so that explains how they found the recharging plate.
                              Possibly - he would have been better off saying to Col Young "I translated this - in Ancient its called an 'energizer' and this is what it does, we've tweaked it to Earth tec too" instead of "Colonel look what WE figured out, we're calling it a recharging plate"
                              sigpic
                              Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

Admittably it is annoying that phrase...realistic but overused.
                                Tst

Comment

Working...
                                X