A Way home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr chuckles View Post
    Dialling the gate to Earth won't work. These are prototype gates, older than the Milkyway and Pegasus gates, designed to work short range. Joseph Mallozzi said as much on his blog. Maybe the Ancients were planning to go back and forth when the Destiny was closer to Earth but never got round to it.
    Blog != canon - Until they say as much in the show, we can only assume that its capable since Rush said that the obstacle in dialing home is power. Plus things change during production and evolution of shows - This may have been what they intended but changed it along the line...or it could be revealed later down the line.

Plus it stands to reason if you can dial in, you can dial out the same way. Plus the address is in the gate system, so it should be possible to do if they can manage to get the enormous amounts of power to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
      Blog != canon - Until they say as much in the show, we can only assume that its capable since Rush said that the obstacle in dialing home is power. Plus things change during production and evolution of shows - This may have been what they intended but changed it along the line...or it could be revealed later down the line.

Plus it stands to reason if you can dial in, you can dial out the same way. Plus the address is in the gate system, so it should be possible to do if they can manage to get the enormous amounts of power to do so.
      That would seem odd, being that this particular ship followed the seeder that went to Pegasus. The gates there are newer than the MW ones.

If the gate on Destiny looked different than the planets', I would understand. It could be possible that they never swapped the one on the ship, but the seeder has more advanced designs on it.

Comment

I could be wrong, but wasn't it impossible to create a wormhole connection that went right through a sun? There was a SG1-episode were they somehow contaminated a star by travelling through it and had to ask the Asgard for help to fix the problem. In that episode, it was mentioned that normally, a security protocol in every normal Stargates prevents such wormholes from forming.

So they couldn't open a wormhole as long as the Destiny is still recharging unless they hack into the operating system of the Stargate and even then there is the chance that the wormhole might be unusable (I don't remember what exactly the problem in that episode was).

Comment

Originally posted by Dain View Post
          I could be wrong, but wasn't it impossible to create a wormhole connection that went right through a sun? There was a SG1-episode were they somehow contaminated a star by travelling through it and had to ask the Asgard for help to fix the problem. In that episode, it was mentioned that normally, a security protocol in every normal Stargates prevents such wormholes from forming.

So they couldn't open a wormhole as long as the Destiny is still recharging unless they hack into the operating system of the Stargate and even then there is the chance that the wormhole might be unusable (I don't remember what exactly the problem in that episode was).
          They contaminated the sun with something (plutonium I think) that caused the sun to turn red.

They would have to override the system to do it, and it might harm the star, but wouldn't effect the travelers afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
            If you're going to quote, don't paraphrase. The poster didn't say stars don't have gravity wells. The exact quote is "Stars dont generate gravity wells that a normal stargate could use."

Big difference.
            His original post just said "gravity well" he edited, the rest of us failed to do so. :s

Creating worlds I know couldn't possibly exist. One little polygon at a time.

Comment

Re: Contaminated Star posts:

watch SG1: RED SKY as i stated earlier. In this episode, the Asgard reveal the stargates will NOT connect to another stargate IF THE WORMHOLE WOULD TRAVEL THROUGH A SUN, again, as stated before.

The only reason the SGC could dial thru a star was because Carter hacked the gate, the Destiny gate would have to be hacked by people who havent even figured out how to turn autopilot off! In a window of a few minutes.

Comment

Well, they wouldn't have to hack the DHD within a few minutes. They could do it beforehand. Hell, they could take the onboard DHD offline altogether and use a laptop with a dialing program (it stands to reason you could jury-rig the stones to transcieve data bursts). As far as having an expert in Ancient programming aboard - there's always the communication stones. As far as the iris is concerned - comm into the sgc right before attempting the procedure to inform them what they're about to attempt. The sun screwing with the wormhole and the chance of shield failure would be the biggest obstacles, IMHO.

Even if they were sent through time, there's always either the "Last Man" option from Atlantis, or the 1969 / 2010 methods from sg-1 to get back to modern day.

If I were the Destiny crew, I'd at least look into it. Then again, these are the same folks that took like five minutes to come up with the idea of using a slingshot maneuver to catch up with Destiny. :\ Not talking the calculations, I'm talking just for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by nhall View Post
                  Well, they wouldn't have to hack the DHD within a few minutes. They could do it beforehand. Hell, they could take the onboard DHD offline altogether and use a laptop with a dialing program (it stands to reason you could jury-rig the stones to transcieve data bursts). As far as having an expert in Ancient programming aboard - there's always the communication stones. As far as the iris is concerned - comm into the sgc right before attempting the procedure to inform them what they're about to attempt. The sun screwing with the wormhole and the chance of shield failure would be the biggest obstacles, IMHO.

Even if they were sent through time, there's always either the "Last Man" option from Atlantis, or the 1969 / 2010 methods from sg-1 to get back to modern day.

If I were the Destiny crew, I'd at least look into it. Then again, these are the same folks that took like five minutes to come up with the idea of using a slingshot maneuver to catch up with Destiny. :\ Not talking the calculations, I'm talking just for the idea.
                  I didnt say the DHD was hacked, i said the GATE was hacked. That's where the plan fails, someone would have to get into the gate's programming crystals themselves and re-write the componants that will let them establish a wormhole connection thru a sun; just like Carter did in Red Sky.

Time travel will not be a concern at all, the only reason gates could time travel is the wormhole was intersected by a massive energy burst near a gravity well (A solar flare near a star). A wormhole directly leaving the star itself, unless the Destiny was inside a solar flare or the like wouldnt trigger a time jumping wormhole.

The other problem they have, is they need to try dialling the gate 36 times to figure out the POO which they currently do not have for the Earth dialling sequence. "Only 36 tries", unless that was recently changed when they went to the desert world.

Comment

Originally posted by Count View Post
                    I didnt say the DHD was hacked, i said the GATE was hacked. That's where the plan fails, someone would have to get into the gate's programming crystals themselves and re-write the componants that will let them establish a wormhole connection thru a sun; just like Carter did in Red Sky.

Time travel will not be a concern at all, the only reason gates could time travel is the wormhole was intersected by a massive energy burst near a gravity well (A solar flare near a star). A wormhole directly leaving the star itself, unless the Destiny was inside a solar flare or the like wouldnt trigger a time jumping wormhole.

The other problem they have, is they need to try dialling the gate 36 times to figure out the POO which they currently do not have for the Earth dialling sequence. "Only 36 tries", unless that was recently changed when they went to the desert world.
                    I'm gonna have to watch Red Sky again. I don't remember if it was a safety protocol in the gate or in the DHD. I think I remember Carter saying Earth was able to get a lock because they didn't have a DHD and were thus able to override that safety protocol. Carter was able to override it in a matter of minutes, again if I remember correctly. Like I said, I need to rewatch

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      i'm not certain, but the power of a star, the TOTAL POWER of a star (thus the energy per second) is nowhere near what Icarus can supply
                      And how do you harvest said total solar power ? Got a Dyson's sphere handy?

The collectors on the Destiny are small, they are only going to be able to gather what power they have the capacity material or energy to scoop up, which is a minute fraction of the solar volume, and thus a minute fraction of the solar energy output.

Comment

Originally posted by nhall View Post
                        I'm gonna have to watch Red Sky again. I don't remember if it was a safety protocol in the gate or in the DHD. I think I remember Carter saying Earth was able to get a lock because they didn't have a DHD and were thus able to override that safety protocol. Carter was able to override it in a matter of minutes, again if I remember correctly. Like I said, I need to rewatch
                        Yea, you got it a bit wrong, you're thinking of the 1969 with the solar flare

The key points to watch in Red Sky are:
                        The start when they first get thrown out of the gate.
                        The first time the planet's sun changes colour(Carter's apples/oranges speech)
                        The Asgard council meeting basically confirming carter's fears.

Comment

You may be interested in watching this two-part behind-the-scenes video made by Amanda Tapping when they filmed SG1 "Red Sky":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGeFpFxb8no
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIyD4NXYZw
                          There is no spoon...

Comment

Here's a way home:

The crew of Destiny are officially saved.

"Allons-y!"
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
                              Here's a way home:

The crew of Destiny are officially saved.

"Allons-y!"
                              Oh Yeah, and the entire crew does the Tardis round about. lol
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462 View Post
                                Oh Yeah, and the entire crew does the Tardis round about. lol
                                Hey, man... they all can fit in that there box. All at once.
                                "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                                "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                                BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X