No announcement yet.

Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes he did when an ep ends like that you just know.
    Tst

Comment

Originally posted by andr3w_iii View Post
      I do not think he really knew what was going to happen, maybe that was said deliberate to raise suspicion and distrust in rush, but think he was more interested in getting back the supplies than the people in the shuttle that has to be a given.
      I know some peopl like that. They have lost several loved ones and close friends through the years but those who are just acquaintences and work mates are still there. So maybe he feels if he gets too close to someone they will die.

Who would have believed any ship, even one engineered by Ancients, could have survived "surfing" a star, as someone said it above
      That was me!

Comment

I don't think Rush knew.

In hind-sight, it makes perfect sense. No way a ship could be build and store enough fuel to travel all those miles over 100s of thousands of years. The ship would have to gather fuel as it went.

BUT.. Remember Air Pt. 1. Rush goes to his room, pulls out picture, probably of his wife, and cries. My theory is, wife is dead. He misses her, and to a degree has a bit of a death wish. Like Greer verbalized, what better way to go. That is why he requested to be removed from the lottery.

Comment

You know, the little speach Rush gives at the end I found a little disapointing. It would have been more effective if the others worked out that he must of known the ship can do an energy recharge.

Destiny has been puttering form Galaxy to Galaxy for Millions of years. (Glad they clarified that in dialogue.) - It must have had the means to recharge itself to keep going, especially with faster than light propulsion. It also adds up considering the life support was breaking down when they arrived, and the ship has taken some damage.

Still, does leave the question, what would he have gained form the 15 going off in the shuttle?
          Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
          Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryGentry View Post
            I believe he had some notion that the Destiny might be working out its survival on its own, as it had been doing thus far, but I truly don't believe he was sure about anything specific. I, too, think his delight in the observation room was genuine. I don't think the presence of anyone proves the genuiness......when he first glanced at the restored control panel, he smiled and began a bit of delighted laughter. He seemed honestly surprised at how the ship was going to save itself.
            Who would have believed any ship, even one engineered by Ancients, could have survived "surfing" a star, as someone said it above?

But, Rush is still enigmatic. He knows Young really has no use for him and even dislikes him, and I think he realizes there's no trust there. So why try to reassure Young? He walked away because he knew no one would believe him totally anyway, so why bother?

I watch the program for Rush. He is an amazingly complex character, and I hope he continues to be so.
            I too watch for Rush (and Eli). The other characters don't interest me much. Greer maybe. Young, I can't seem to get my footing with this guy. Chloe I hate as much as Scott right now.

I agree with your little bit about "why bother?" Rush is a logical thinker and honestly doesn't care what most people think about him. I think of all the people on Destiny, the only one he really gives 2 hoots about is Eli, as a kindred soul, or simply because he was the one who personally recruited him into the project almost by blackmail.

Comment

I dont think Rush knew.He pretty much summed it up at the end, all these adventures was just getting back the situation to the state where they first stated. Why is everyone so happy about that?

He is just a cynical workaholic genius who obviously is pretty jaded about normal human interactions. He made it quite clear he doesn't care how others think of him, and quite happy to be the public enemy as long as others do not interfere with his work.

His general lack of trust in others was shown in the conversation with Rush before - why bother trying to keep the lottery fair, when obviously people will think its fixed anyhow.

Rush is the resident cranky Spock

Comment

wonder how Rush ever passed psych evaluation
                the guy clearly has some kind of mental disorder

Comment

I don't think he knew for sure. He might have suspected but the way we saw him act on screen, even when he was alone, suggests he was not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                    wonder how Rush ever passed psych evaluation
                    the guy clearly has some kind of mental disorder
                    the accent

my thoughts are that Rush didn't know. but in that last scene he acted as though he did, just to test out how true Young was about his recent reconciliation. did Young really want to make up? or was it only because Young thought he was going to die and wanted to die with a clear conscience?

this is what I think Rush wants to know, and be acting as if he knew what was going to happen all along, we will see Young's true character by how he deals with this situation regarding Rush
                    Spoiler:

Comment

I think Rush had an idea that it could be possible, but im not sure if I would say he knew with 100% certainty.

Although if it were me, I wouldnt have told anyone. I would have let them all leave. Its obvious that the people on the ship are within a hairs distance from a mutiny. It would be a good idea to get rid of some of them.

I like Rush. Sure, sometimes he comes off as a jerk, but I like the way he handles things.

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post
                        The Rush character is interesting. At times he is mean and angry and at other times he is pleasant and thankful to others. The scene where Rush thanked Eli for giving him a chance to see the Destiny from the outside really stood out to me. It was as if Rush became greatful all of the sudden.
                        Watch the preview for the next episode, he has a conversation with Young and Eli. I think the Rush that is angry and screaming is over...somewhat. A lot of that is explained away of course in the last episode. I don't think he will exactly change to become anyone's BMF soon.

Comment

IMHO, I don't think he knew. When he went into the observatory he seemed genuinely surprised. Why would he even bother with the lottery in the first place, or not telling them what was going to happen.

Comment

i don't think Rush knew... but i think he intentionally let Young think he knew...
                            Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                            Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                            Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                            Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by morph147 View Post
                              yes i have to semi agree with you on this. their is one thing i think you should note though on this. everyone is still upset at rush and blames him for them all being on destiny in the first place. so if his name had been in the lottery, and he had gotten on the ship, what do you think most peoples reaction would have been. most people would have blamed him for their deaths as he walks away and gets to live. so then the people who did get to go on the shuttle have now landed on their new planet and trying to survive. what do you think is going to happen between the whole group and rush. well everyone is going to shun him and basically want nothing to do with him because they too will blame him for everyone deaths. i think rush was intelligent enough to realize that either way in the end he wouldn't have had long to lived so therefore it would be easier to withdraw from the lottery and just stay put.
                              That's a very good additional point. Rush really had no choice but to remove himself from the lottery. Everyone already hated him, and the shuttle survivors would hate him even more when the other people died. Rush was unique, in that he was not really making any kind of sacrifice by staying on Destiny. He was just choosing a different way to die. As he said to Young: "This ship, coming here, was my destiny. My life's work was to be here, not trying to survive on some rock with a bunch of strangers." So at the end of the show when Young complemented Rush for making a sacrifice by opting out of the lottery, Rush could not acknowledge that it actually was a truly selfless sacrifice. Young had not considered this. Then when Young jumped to the wrong conclusion, assuming that Rush knew all along, Rush opted not to correct Young. This had the additional benefit to Rush of creating doubt in everyone's mind whether Rush had made a serious mistake which put all of them through this emotional ordeal/trauma of a near death illusion. In Rush's mind, even if it was an honest mistake, it was still a mistake nonetheless. Rush prefers to be thought of as a genius, even if he has to settle for being considered an evil genius.

I have seen the episode again, and read all the other comments in this forum so far, but I still don't see any compelling evidence that Rush knew or even suspected that Destiny would recharge itself somehow with the sun.

I'll give you a hypothetical scenario showing that it is extremely unlikely that he knew:
                              For a moment, lets assume that Rush knew that everyone on board would survive, but he played dumb in order to "thin the herd" so to speak, by scaring 17 people off the ship, even tho it would also mean that he would lose the only good shuttle and all their supplies, probably including the LRC stones. But in my scenario, the shuttle could not make it back to the ship in time. Now the remaining 50+ people would be even more upset at Rush that his ignorance split the group and put them into an even deeper hole. Even if they assumed he made an innocent mistake, many of them would definitely want to kill him at this point. Furthermore, if they then discovered that he did know ahead of time, but deliberately mislead them and made things worse, then 100% of them would immediately chuck him out an airlock and then ask Eli to continue Rush's work of getting control of Destiny.

Rush may appear not to care much for the lives of other people, but I just can't believe that he would intentionally risk either looking stupid, or putting his own life at risk to murder from the rest of the crew, or risk passing up the opportunity of his lifetime to continue trying to get control of Destiny.

If Rush had discovered earlier (by reading some ancient online manual) that Destiny would recharge itself with the sun, he would have been thrilled to boast about his knowledge to the rest of the crew. Especially if they didn't believe him and panicked while he remained perfectly calm with a smug grin on his face. Eventually he would be proven right and would redeem his credibility with Young and everyone else. It would also put him in a better position to take control of the entire group if something terrible happened to Young.

Therefore, I still have to stand by the summary in my last post as the most likely scenario that explains his motivations and behavior, which is also complemented by the more detailed information above:
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...5#post10740255
                              There is no spoon...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                                i don't think Rush knew... but i think he intentionally let Young think he knew...
                                Indeed! I didn't think of that, a very nice observation.

Comment

Working...
                                X