No announcement yet.

Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, didn't we all know? It was so darn predictable, Rush would have been really stupid not to at least expect there might be more to flying to the sun. The only unpredictable part was going through the sun and getting so darn close without turbulence (and the fact that the ship saved energy for the shields), so that would explain the surprise we saw on Rush' face.

I guess he just realised there should have been turbulence and intense heat already, and he was surprised to find out there were still shields. He probably expected to survive, but not before having a hell of a ride.

Comment

I'm sure he suspected, the comment he made about Greer first tipped me off, him and 'captain marvel' are two people he probably wouldn't mind getting rid of, and I doubt he'd suggest Greer as the second chosen member for any other reason.

Comment

He might have had a clue but he didn't want to place a bet on it. Therefore he didn't stop the shuttle launch because he might be wrong. But he stayed on the ship incase he might be right which he wished.
        Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived.

Comment

I believe that Rush knew. He is described as a Machiavellian scientist in the series, and I think that this is his way to demonstrate that he works in mysterious ways. I think this was ultimately a way of showing us that he is in control of what happens.

He let it get out of control on purpose, allowing everyone to believe that they would die and that only 17 would be saved with supplies, in order to make everyone believe that he is not a coward (by taking his name out of the lottery) and that he is the savior (got back the shuttle and the suppies), while at the same time demonstrating to them that he doesnt ever allow himself the celebration of success (as celebrating with the rest at the end).

He knew of its solar recharging abilities (maybe not completely how, probably from an educated guess of how the ship has survived so long and why it would go towards the sun), however he used the situation to his advantage and indirectly put other lives at risk.

He doesnt like Greer as they are polar opposites, Grear: military, loyal, not brilliant like Rush: Scientist, loyal only to himself, and brilliant.. So maybe the suggestion to fix the lottery was in his knowing that the colonel would like to pick Greer as well as the other two. With or without losing these supplies and the people, I am certain that Rush believes the ship is their ultimate provider, so losing the shuttle with people and supplies wouldnt have been a big loss if he wasnt able to get them back.

What yall think bout them apples?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
            After seeing "Light" once (I'll watch it a few more times), I believe that he genuinely thought they were going to die. Once he saw the ship above the sun and realized that they would live, he was euphoric.

However, once his excitement subsided, he felt like a fool for being wrong and having a dramatic nervous breakdown (humiliation is a powerful motivator). His over inflated ego scolded him for not realizing that the ship was designed to feed off the resources of the universe, just as the stargate seeder ships do. Rush is one of those people who loves being in control (being the smartest guy in the room), and hates to admit being wrong, so at the end of the show, he wanted to cover for his mistake by making the others believe that he knew all along that they would live, even if it made him appear calculating and crazy for putting them through this ordeal, and for potentially causing 17 people to be stranded.

PS: I loved the CGI in this episode!
            Thank you. I love this theory. I have to tell you it really bothered. Not so much that he may have known but that had he gone through all the trouble to pull off the elaborate charade of not knowing he would then go and possibly give himself away. That made no sense to me so I like this theory so much better. I can better accept that Rush didn't know, that he is very uncomfortable in social situations and his attitude caused Young to suspect him. If this is true it actually tells up more about Young then Rush and that would be crafty storytelling indeed. I do have my doubts that such a well thought out notion will come to pass though.

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
            I do not think Rush knew. Actually, I was irritated with Col. Young for implying it and planting that doubt in everyone's mind. He should have kept that suspicion to himself. By announcing it, all he did was create more mistrust and suspicion, which IMO is a bad thing (and a bad leadership decision).

I agree with what others have said: if Rush had known they were going to live, he wouldn't have allowed valuable supplies or the shuttle to leave. And if he was trying to get rid of people (because he wanted less people on the Destiny), then he wouldn't have been so quick to find a way to bring the shuttle back. It was the first thing he did when the systems came back online, even before Young told him to contact the shuttle.

I personally found his surprise very convincing. His first look of surprise was in the control room before he went up to the flight deck to look out the window. He was alone in the control room, and he looked surprised. If he had known all along, then why would he fake surprise then? Wouldn't he just give a smug grin? When I re-watched that scene on the flight deck (I love sci-fi's late repeats ), I noticed how much Rush was smiling. I don't think we've ever seen Rush smile before. Certainly, not that much. So his surprise and happiness looked genuine to me.

As for Rush's negativity in the final scene... I think there were two things going on there. First, Rush was being realistic. He's blunt to the point of rudeness, so it's not surprising that he would spoil the good mood by mentioning that they are still facing a lot of problems. That's the reality of the situation. But I think Rush was also trying to distance himself from the crew. We've seen some severely anti-social behavior from Rush so far (he had no desire to be stranded "on a rock with a bunch of strangers," and he flinched when Young slapped him on the back), and I think he was uncomfortable with the idea of being so familiar and relaxed with the rest of the crew. I get the impression that he's been a loner and an outsider for a long time, and the idea of breaking that isolation by joining the others for a friendly meal seemed very uncomfortable to him. So he pushed people away as quickly and firmly as possible, not particularly caring if it made them suspicious of him.

The last scene was also a nice parallel to the meal in Air, where Rush was also on the outside looking in. Eventually, he might be comfortable enough to join the crew... but not yet. And from Young's reaction, the crew isn't comfortable with Rush yet either.
            I really like this take on the scene as well. I would much rather this be the case then he knew all along because that doesn't make a whole lot of sense motivations wise. It seems an awfully big scheme to just get rid of a few bothersome people at the expense of necessary supplies. Then to go to all the trouble and be the one to find a way to bring them back. Why? Because he didn't get the right people on the shuttle that he wanted off his ship? No, I'm not buying that. I don't think he knew.

Originally posted by Joben View Post
            I think that having Rush do an about-face on his attitude and Young reading him like that in the last minute of the episode was a really poor way to finish it. The series seems like one in which the writers want to work in a twist or a cliffhanger at the end of every episode, but I think they had a perfect opportunity to wrap it up there and have a really decent self-contained story that didn't have Rush's character development thrown away in the last minute.

If in fact Rush knew then I agree with you completely. Taking Young at his word there almost ruined the episode for me. It felt forced and unnecessary. But if the viewpoints of the others I've quoted come true then I have a different opinion. If in fact its Young being suspicious and Rush just being awkward and anti social then it could create some real dramatic tension. Much better to have your supposed good guy in charge hero (Young) turn out to be really wrong and possibly creating a worse trust issue then already exsists. I would be mildly impressed if it comes to pass.

Comment

I think that Rush had to know or at the very least have a theory on why the Destiny was heading into the sun, perhaps he didn't want to risk more lives on a hunch. I know people have suggested that he did this to rid the crew of people he didnt like but it was his idea to use the slingshot to get them back, without that manouevre they would have died. he had no need to suggest the slingshot if he didnt want to save them.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
                While I am sure he had some idea churning in his head about how the ship got more power - even ZPMs would have been depleted by now, and he knows that ship predates that technology by many thousands of years if not longer - I am not sure if he was 100% sure. Seriously, I think we are ignoring that Rush is a much deeper character than he so far has presented. He is extremely intelligent, emotionally handicapped, socially unstable in a manner that would make Rodney look absolutely normal, but yet, I feel there is something more to him. While he has been "right" quite often, I think they are setting him up to be the anti-Carter/anti-Rodney. No matter what, when one of those two suggested something in SG1/SGA we went with it. Here, we aren't so easy to trust Rush, and someday that may really bite us in the ass. I think that is the way TPTB want it.

So IMHO, I think that, yeah he had an inkling that something would happen to save their lives, but on the other hand, I don't think he was willing to bet every single one of their lives on one of his wild and crazy ideas (again).

Of course, I could be wrong and he could just be a sadist who wanted to see the others put through the proverbial wringer and possibly hoping that some of the crazier nut jobs (like the IOA woman) would be "lost", but that would mean his character is less deep than I know him to be.
                ITA, I think you're right on the money with your analysis of his being a genius and an anti carter/mckay type.

IMO he DID NOT KNOW 100% that the ship would refuel in the sun's corona, and I have somewhat of some proof about it.

When at the end Young tells him "maybe you knew" he answers "Cheers", unless you're British (or watch lots of BBC TV) you would not know that "cheers" means "Thank You", so therefore when Young (who up until the end had been learning to TRUST Rush) distrusts him by questioning whether he knew, and Rush answers "THANKS",

read between the lines, Rush says "THANKS" like to imply thanks a lot, you were trusting me and I thought you had changed and here you go again not trusting me, so THANKS for being your paranoid self.

Okay it's my take on it, but try to see the scene with the word CHEERS replaced with THANKS and you'll see what I mean.
                General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Yep, Rush suspected Destiny wouldn't let them down, as did most of the viewers, but he was not certain about it. After all, the ship is not in perfect shape and something could go terribly wrong.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomking View Post
                    im starting to think this is going to be more drama based like battlestar galactica...(witch is what i was afraid of) but it will be nice to see a twist latter on that was perfectly plotted out
                    Since I liked BSG (no, not as much as SG1) I'm okay with it as long as they show the gate being used more often, and keep the stupid lame sex scenes to next to non-existent.
                    General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Rush may have had a suspicion, but still, hurling into a star is enough to unnerve even those who believe everything could be ok. After all, the ship is very, very old.
                      I think the same. He may suspected something but still idea of going directly to sun is kinda crazy.
                      The cake is a lie...

Comment

I think he knew, but how did he?

Comment

i dont think rush knew he might have had an theory in the last few hours but ultimately he was suprised, i think he just didnt want other people to know he was suprised,

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                            I do not think Rush knew. Actually, I was irritated with Col. Young for implying it and planting that doubt in everyone's mind. He should have kept that suspicion to himself. By announcing it, all he did was create more mistrust and suspicion, which IMO is a bad thing (and a bad leadership decision).

I agree with what others have said: if Rush had known they were going to live, he wouldn't have allowed valuable supplies or the shuttle to leave. And if he was trying to get rid of people (because he wanted less people on the Destiny), then he wouldn't have been so quick to find a way to bring the shuttle back. It was the first thing he did when the systems came back online, even before Young told him to contact the shuttle.

I personally found his surprise very convincing. His first look of surprise was in the control room before he went up to the flight deck to look out the window. He was alone in the control room, and he looked surprised. If he had known all along, then why would he fake surprise then? Wouldn't he just give a smug grin? When I re-watched that scene on the flight deck (I love sci-fi's late repeats ), I noticed how much Rush was smiling. I don't think we've ever seen Rush smile before. Certainly, not that much. So his surprise and happiness looked genuine to me.

As for Rush's negativity in the final scene... I think there were two things going on there. First, Rush was being realistic. He's blunt to the point of rudeness, so it's not surprising that he would spoil the good mood by mentioning that they are still facing a lot of problems. That's the reality of the situation. But I think Rush was also trying to distance himself from the crew. We've seen some severely anti-social behavior from Rush so far (he had no desire to be stranded "on a rock with a bunch of strangers," and he flinched when Young slapped him on the back), and I think he was uncomfortable with the idea of being so familiar and relaxed with the rest of the crew. I get the impression that he's been a loner and an outsider for a long time, and the idea of breaking that isolation by joining the others for a friendly meal seemed very uncomfortable to him. So he pushed people away as quickly and firmly as possible, not particularly caring if it made them suspicious of him.

The last scene was also a nice parallel to the meal in Air, where Rush was also on the outside looking in. Eventually, he might be comfortable enough to join the crew... but not yet. And from Young's reaction, the crew isn't comfortable with Rush yet either.
                            Re-quoting this, because I think it best shows what I feel the situation is. Also, bolding an important part there. Rush was alone, thus no need to fake anything. Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is usually correct.

As a scientist, Rush has a logical mind. I have one, too, so I can really feel I know what's going through his head. At best, he might have suspected that Destiny was going to recharge somehow, but he couldn't be sure. Destiny had come through for them before.

So the sneakiest reason I can come up with, is that he was growing sick of people giving him a hard time. Giving up his lottery shot was a good way to get people to think more highly of him. He also probably didn't think that people would believe him, anyway. I mean, Young almost accused him of shutting down the systems last episode.

Honestly, as the rest of the crew said to Young, "Let it go."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom
                              So the sneakiest reason I can come up with, is that he was growing sick of people giving him a hard time. Giving up his lottery shot was a good way to get people to think more highly of him. He also probably didn't think that people would believe him, anyway. I mean, Young almost accused him of shutting down the systems last episode.

Honestly, as the rest of the crew said to Young, "Let it go."
                              Exactly. Over the course of the entire episode, Rush was trying to get into everyone's good books. Just look how he visibly restrained himself during most conversations, trying to always remain calm and friendly and how forced it appeared at times.

Rush was as surprised as everyone else about their rescue. I mean, we saw him being surprised and overjoyed. Why should he fake that? He probably hoped that the ship had brought them here on purpose and would survive somehow, but he certainly didn't know it for certain.

The last scene just serves to show that the distrust against Rush is still continuing. And, of course, that of all people onboard, Young is perhaps one of the most prejudiced, despite always appearing to smoothe things over.

Comment

I am not convinced Rush knew. Why would he have let the people go on the shuttle if he knew? I think that the characters who spoke about this, notably Young, should have kept their mouths shut. They have now placed doubt in the minds of the rest of the crew about Rush, and this is certainly not needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X