No announcement yet.

Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first I thought Rush did know and the entire situation was just to make the crew bond with each other which appeared to be the result at the end.

I figured Rush saw the crew beind divided as a problem and wanted to fix it but at the end he seems to be causing divisions by refusing to celebrate with them and being negative so now I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      LOL

Maybe he's just tired of being constantly finger pointed. So didn't bother to defend himself anymore.
      ^ I think this is where we're headed. I think the climax this season is going to be the scapegoating of Rush. The writers are trying so hard to make him look bad without him doing anything bad. I think he's a red herring.

Spoiler:
      I think Telford is the spy that's been talked about and that Rush was who he planned to be the fall guy for whatever mischief he planned.

Comment

I think Rush knows alot.

I think it is no accident that he brought along the communication stones.

Comment

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Nicholas_Rush
          In 2009, Rush was stationed at the Icarus Base in order to research the purpose of the Stargate's ninth chevron. After an unknown attack on the base, Rush alone was responsible for sending the Icarus personnel to the Destiny - an Ancient vessel situated in a far galaxy - with no way of returning. (SGU: "Air")
          Gloria Rush was a female Tau'ri, and the wife of Nicholas Rush. She was a concert violinist and diagnosed with cancer. By 2007 she died due to the cancer. Ever since, her husband became more obsessed with researching Ancient technology and had since joined the Stargate program. (SGU: "Human")
          If you think about the irony he is living through, you will understand where this character is going.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Jacob_Carter
          Jacob soon learned that he was afflicted with lymphoma, a rare form of cancer. Unable to ebb the attack raging within his body, Jacob accepted an offer from General Hammond and Samantha to live by becoming host to a member of the Tok'ra, the Goa'uld resistance movement with whom Earth is allied.
          Hmmm... If you learned two years after your wife dies of cancer there was a cure, how would you feel about the government and military withholding that information?

Wouldn't you be pissed?

I think Rush is holding back because he blames the military for holding back a possible cure. Its a tough love relationship between him and the military.

"You mess with my life, I mess with your life" type of logic.

After learning about the advances in science the Stargate program had discovered, and how they may be holding them back from the population, I can see why he doesn't trust anyone's judgment. I think he is justified.

Just my prediction.
          Last edited by Col. Tomorian; 26 October 2009, 08:31 AM.

Comment

*Jumping In*

I wouldn't be surprised if had had an idea in the back of his mind, but he did have a real nervous breakdown and seemed surprised so he definitely didn't know anything with any confidence level.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm more concerned with what about Rush's behaviour changed Young from praising to suspicious.

When Young is listing off the all the reasons Rush deserves praise, when he gets to the line "I was injured, you made a real sacrifice" Rush actually shakes his head, ever so subtley. Youngs demeanor changes completely after that.

Given what Young knows about Rush, that's he a difficult, with seemingly no care for anyone he immediately assumes the worst and thinks it was his plan all along. Given what we know about Rush (he still wears a wedding ring I just noticed as well) we know he's lost his wife and was quite probably more than willing to die with destiny as the only thing left to him was finding that ship. Staying wasn't a sacrifice to him at all. hence the head shake.

Add to that his demeanor, he's angry at himself, he misread all the signs about what was going on with the ship when it was shutting down and redirecting power and he is proud. Once his initial elation had settled down, he was quite angry at how badly he misread the situation.

That's my take anyway.

Comment

I don't think he knew. I do think he had an idea and I think for him the risk was worth it to stay on the ship just in case it refueled. Rush would never risk leaving the ship if there was any hint that the ship might be able to refuel by using the sun. He is obsessed with that ship. I also don't think he was sure enough to tell anybody which might have affected some individuals decision to leave.

In the end, and this is just my opinion based on what I've seen from his character so far, that he thought there was a minuscule chance the ship would use the sun to refuel but not even close to enough to bring it to the attention of anybody. But again, any small hint and he wasn't risking leaving the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  I'd say it was just Rush trying to get Young to shut up and let him work.
                  Originally posted by renboy View Post
                  I don't think "reaching out" is in Rush's vocabulary ... (unless it satisfies an agenda that he has)
                  That specific line is all about ego - he is basically telling Young that not only he is capable of solving this problem, but Young not trusting him is what gets in his way all the time.

It was perhaps his first diplomatic moment.
                  I didn't sense ego or his usual short temper and since that little discussion between the two of seemed to have an understanding he seemed to be working in accordance with that accord.

Maybe it's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                    Am I the only one who thinks Rush has acted impecably since arriving on Destiny? I can't fault a single action.
                    Maybe one of the few.
                    I didn't think Rush was justified sending them to Destiny instead of a Milky Way location.
                    Last edited by Saquist; 26 October 2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                      Maybe one of the few.
                      I didn't think Rush was justified sending them to Destiny instead of a Milky Way location.
                      I was quite specific with the since arriving on Destiny dude
                      Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Just my two cents but I believe that Rush didn't know at least at first and perhaps he did read about the solar power thing but given the evidence and how joyful he was that they didn't die I would say at the very least that he didn't think it would work.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

i didn't think he knew. I think really Rush thought if there was any chance at survival it was on board the destiny. He probably recognised that if they went to that planet that would be where they died. he was simply deciding where to die by withdrawing his name from the lottery. I think that as viewers we knew that destiny was going to survive and that changes our perceptions about the situation away from those by the characters, they don't know they still have 15 episodes left to go.

People have been bringing up that it was predictable that the ship was going to survive, thats' nothing new to any sci-fi programme. leads don't often die in the middle or even at the start of the series. the ships crews are travelling on really go boom before the end of the series or without returning in some shape or form several episodes later.

Comment

I was quite specific with the since arriving on Destiny dude
                            Yes, sir, sorry.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Rush has acted impecably since arriving on Destiny? I can't fault a single action.
                              No, I agree with you. I also think that Youngs dislike of Rush is making Rush look worse than he is. He keeps saying that he is a lot of work, he asks if Rush did whatever happened (like when the light goes out). Furthermore, no good leader would even bring up the possibility of Rush knowing beforehand, while there are that many people around. A good leader would do that in private. I mean, they really need Rush, so constantly questioning him and his motives in front of others will decrease his credibility and just creates conflicts. Conflicts that could become a real problem when the heat is on.

And another thought... apart from the 'key' personnel, there seems to be a bunch of 'useless' people who came through along with the other from the Icarus base... what I dont get is why would there be a bunch of useless people on a top secret base on another planet? ... surely everybody that was on the Icarus base must have some useful skills?

Comment

Originally posted by Mythophile View Post
                                This was grade A stupid of Young. Moral was really soaring until he just had to sabotage Rush yet again. The man needs to shut up if even if he suspects something and check it out quietly.

Rush, I think, was just feeling embarrassed, and possibly a little sociophobic. He's clearly a strong introvert who needs to be alone or in quiet rational company to recover from stress. He didn't want to stay because people make him tired.
                                This! Anyone with strong tendencies to introversion will tell you that having to deal with people is physically draining. I'm an introvert, and I literally schedule time where I can be away from people. If I'm stuck with a bunch of people for a prolonged period of time, I become rather unpleasant...even if they're people I like. Rush basically has no escape from these people. Add to that the pressure he's under, and the fact that they are all rather suspicious of him... yeah, he would be looking for excuses to stay away from people.

Originally posted by SBN View Post
                                This could actually be part of it. Think about as they believed they were going to die, Rush did open up some and showed more kindness than he has at any point. When Young did that friendly gesture, he could have emotionally recoiled, as it seems he fears human relations of any closeness. So for Rush, the ambiguity was merely setting everything back to where they were prior to the ship losing power. For him, he was setting his universe back in order that he can live in.
                                Good point. At the end of the episode, it's back to Rush's version of "business as usual." He's already shifting back into work mode, while everyone else is celebrating. So I think he is returning to his somewhat pessimistic and reclusive ways, because that's what's natural to him.

I do see him eventually getting fed up with all of the suspicion and mistrust. If he wasn't so interested in the Destiny, I don't see him continuing to put up with these people (from his perspective... I actually like most of the characters. I just don't think Rush has the patience for them, especially considering they all distrust him). I also wonder how much of the audience's mistrust comes from what we knew from statements made by cast/crew/writers/producers before the show aired. Because I just don't see a reason for the pathological mistrust in Rush. Not yet. They blame him for getting stuck on the Destiny. Okay, that's fine. And they all think he's arrogant. Again, that's fine, and perfectly accurate. So based on one decision and his general arrogance they accuse him of toying with them and trying to get rid of a shuttle full of people? He's arrogant, not a sadistic maniac who gets kicks out of tormenting people... especially since he didn't benefit from it at all.

The writers will have to give me a pretty good reason soon if they expect me to buy this high level of distrust. That last scene in Light didn't make me distrust Rush... it made me sympathize with him.
                                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                                X