No announcement yet.

Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Rush might have suspected, it's pretty odd for a ship to come out of warp, and then by chance head to the sun, but no one had thought of that before so it's likely that he brushed it aside and really thought the worst
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I'm unsure about his knowledge...but I have three situations that I think is the case:

1. He knew they'd survive hoped Young would choose who goes and who stays so that he'd be free of several nuisances to his research.

2. He didn't know and just wants everyone to think he did so that it looks like he knows more than he's letting on...to make him look more intelligent and important. Would be useful for blackmail purposes.

3. He genuinely didn't know and is just anti-social about the matter and makes himself looks suspicious unintentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by creed462 View Post
        I think Rush might have suspected, it's pretty odd for a ship to come out of warp, and then by chance head to the sun, but no one had thought of that before so it's likely that he brushed it aside and really thought the worst
        Well, he's a genius...once you assign intent to a set of variables, which he did, it's difficult with math to end up a coincidental course.

You see, an aerobraking maneuver is done specifically to slow down for an approach, an orbit or landing. After the maneuver if there were no planets dead ahead into capture Destiny's trajectory...and there was only the sun straight ahead...then the sun was the objective.

The Problem with SGU:

Universe hasn't set itself up as a realistic Science Fiction Drama, In true SCI FI, these scenaios would be definitive. There would be no doubt that a ship exiting FTL where two bodies are on a sling shot trajectory. That is a capture or landing.

Note DESTINY had to fire it's engines to leave the Star. That's Realistic.
        Aerobraking by defintion is a decayed orbit especially with a body as big as the sun.

Passing through a Gas Giant at a fraction of Light Speed with little to no shields. NOT REALISTIC.
        The ship should have been engulf in Ionized Gas not turbulence.

What we see is that the plot tends override the common sense logic in SGU.
        That's the only real reason why there is any question to if Rush knew or didn't know.

In Reality he would know that Destiny chose the Gas Giant for a Braking maneuver for a course to the System Star.

Comment

Originally posted by Radz View Post
          3. He genuinely didn't know and is just anti-social about the matter and makes himself looks suspicious unintentionally.
          LOL

Maybe he's just tired of being constantly finger pointed. So didn't bother to defend himself anymore.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I can't recall any other ship in the SG series that was capable of surviving direct contact with a star. So I am not sure why Rush would think that this would be any different. I think that he was resigned to the fact that they were going to die. Maybe he had a small thought in the back of his head, but it wasn't big enough to let him share it with the rest of the crew.
            sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

(warning, grim post ahead, only my current opinion)

I believe Rush knew about the recharge (maybe he wasn't 100% sure, but close to that);

I think he is a coward by nature, and wouldn't risk himself dieing.
              He couldn't care less about the other crew members (unless they serve as help to farther his needs) - and once the ship is recharged, I think he believes it could provide anything he needs to stay on it for as long as he wishes (getting rid of a dozen or so people on-board the shuttle would reduce the resource consumption on the ship even farther).

In his mind, he doesn't need anybody else, not even Eli (who served his purpose on Icarus, and is mostly useless now).
              Maybe he even knows about the true purpose of the Destiny or some mysterious ability/device that it has that is the sole reason he got there in the first place.

He obviously can't go around pushing other crew members outside air-locks, so it's a minor setback to have those people annoy him around the ship.

If he could, he would go alone into the Stargate on Icarus to the 9th Cheveron address.
              (in retrospect, it would have been fatal due to the failing life support, but he didn't know that).

Step 1: Control the Destiny
              Step 2: ...
              Step 3: Profit
              sigpic

Comment

In my opinion he kind of knew but wasn't completely sure of it. If he was sure sure sure they where going to die he was saving those people lives, well they survived and he hoped that they could come back. If he wanted them to die, why didn't he stalled Eli about the sling shot calculations?
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnight View Post
                  So IMHO, I think that, yeah he had an inkling that something would happen to save their lives, but on the other hand, I don't think he was willing to bet every single one of their lives on one of his wild and crazy ideas (again).
                  No way he knew...he was sitting in his room, contemplating death just like the others. Had he known, he'd have been at the controls, waiting for them to power up based on his assumption/fore knowledge.

He was as suprised as any of them.

IMO Rush didn't know. Young's insinuation simply was a conclusion that he jumped to because he doesn't trust Rush. Rush just simply let them believe what they wanted to believe!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                  : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by eliteaceman View Post
                    This thread will be eaten in 10 seconds...9.....8....
                    Eaten by the other thread about this:
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=70493
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by renboy View Post
                      (warning, grim post ahead, only my current opinion)

I believe Rush knew about the recharge (maybe he wasn't 100% sure, but close to that);

I think he is a coward by nature, and wouldn't risk himself dieing.
                      He couldn't care less about the other crew members (unless they serve as help to farther his needs) - and once the ship is recharged, I think he believes it could provide anything he needs to stay on it for as long as he wishes (getting rid of a dozen or so people on-board the shuttle would reduce the resource consumption on the ship even farther).

In his mind, he doesn't need anybody else, not even Eli (who served his purpose on Icarus, and is mostly useless now).
                      Maybe he even knows about the true purpose of the Destiny or some mysterious ability/device that it has that is the sole reason he got there in the first place.

He obviously can't go around pushing other crew members outside air-locks, so it's a minor setback to have those people annoy him around the ship.

If he could, he would go alone into the Stargate on Icarus to the 9th Cheveron address.
                      (in retrospect, it would have been fatal due to the failing life support, but he didn't know that).

Step 1: Control the Destiny
                      Step 2: ...
                      Step 3: Profit
                      If that was true then he wouldn't have come up with the sling shot for the Shuttle.

Comment

I believe stroking his ego, saving the day and getting the credit has a good ring to it.
                        Plus, he said it himself - he just wanted to get the supplies on the shuttle back.

Again, not arguing the point, but that's how I currently feel about him - he is a crazy scientist, and his agenda changes on a whim based on his personal goals, what looked good a few hours ago can change instantly.
                        sigpic

Comment

Then why that little moment between him and Young?

"You this would be the perfect time to trust me...to solve this problem"
                          Was that ego, or was Rush reaching out?

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Rush has acted impecably since arriving on Destiny? I can't fault a single action.
                            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

I don't think "reaching out" is in Rush's vocabulary ... (unless it satisfies an agenda that he has)
                              That specific line is all about ego - he is basically telling Young that not only he is capable of solving this problem, but Young not trusting him is what gets in his way all the time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                                Then why that little moment between him and Young?

"You this would be the perfect time to trust me...to solve this problem"
                                Was that ego, or was Rush reaching out?
                                I'd say it was just Rush trying to get Young to shut up and let him work.

Comment

Working...
                                X