This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Descended View Post
    Actually, the corona (area surrounding the star... its atmosphere) is MUCH hotter than the surface of the sun. The surface is only about 10,000C. While the corona is many millions of degrees, just one of those interesting things about stars. Rush should have known that the shield was on well before they approached the star, because they didn't all immediately die of gamma poisoning. (which would have made them violently ill for the first few minutes following exposure)
    It was a red giant.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
      It was a red giant.
      It wasn't a red giant, it was a red dwarf. Big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        It was a red giant.
        I thought it was a red dwarf?
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

Oy. That was almost as slow as 2001:A Space Odyssey.

For someone who supposedly reveres God, Scott sure gets around. 2 gals in less than a week. Or is it 3 days?
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I don't think Rush knew, he may have had suspicions, but did not know. I think his reaction at the end was more being insulted by the insinuation.

Overall I just did not find this episode all that strong. Probably because of the way it was set up. Problem for me was I knew almost exactly how everything would play out. So what was left for me was very few scenes of real interest. I thought the Greer/Young conversation in the hallway was good.

One thing that really did bug me a lot was how the Eli/Chloe/Scott menage a trois played out. It just seemed rushed and very poorly implemented. I really think they went way way too fast writing in Chloe to have an interested in somebody. Sorry, this was just dumb for them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              Oy. That was almost as slow as 2001:A Space Odyssey.

For someone who supposedly reveres God, Scott sure gets around. 2 gals in less than a week. Or is it 3 days?
              But not all believers in God believe that sex is a sin, and certainly a great many Christians don't believe (or at least don't follow) that.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

Jelgate's Two Cents

The more things change the more they stay the same. That is a line from one of my favorite non-Stargate shows. No one in their right mind would say that Stargate Universe isn't different from its predescors. Because almost everything is different from the music to the CGI to the characters themselves. But after a certain scene (will get to that later) I more certain to ever their are just some things the writers are incapable of. But besides this minor grievance I am relatively pleased. Why am I pleased you ask? Well let’s find out.

Where is my stamp? Ah here it is. This is for you Col. Young. At the opening scene you proved that you are awesome. The way you were cool to everyone's yelling about who would be picked. You calmly told everyone just how things were going to be done no matter who many people disliked it. You show a clear headed mind and why you made it to the rank of colonel. Not to mention your argument with Wray. I thought that scene was also done beautifully. I don't even know who I agree with. They both have very very good arguments. Wray makes a good point about society needs certain people to sustain themselves but their is certain logic in Young and his idea that would lead to favoritism. Truly don't know who to pick

And now for what everyone has been waiting for. Probably the worst thing for the episode (and potentially the series). I know the shippers out there will disagree with me but that sex scene made no sense. Yes I can agree and support the motivation behind them. They both think they will die so they decide to make their last hours worth it. But the buildup and transition was just plain terrible. We go from Young addressing the crew right to Scott and Chloe leaving to them having sex. No transition at all to even hint on it all. And the buildup before this shows nothing of romantic feelings for one another. Friendship I give you but nothing of romance. Maybe I am being too picky but I wanted a little more of showing why Chloe and Scott decided to have sex. I'm not asking for a whole minute of explanation just a few lines. Something that shows how they feel about one another and maybe more then jumping from a sad Eli to Scott and Chloe removing their clothes. I thought we left this sloppy writing behind in Atlantis.

Well now that we have the main negative out of the way let’s talk about everything else that actually worked. Starting with Eli and his kino scene. Last week if you asked me I would say Chloe and Eli was purely platonic. But this week its obviously different. Look how calmly Eli plays the jealous angle. It’s obvious to you and me that he is jealous but it’s played so subtlety that I loved it. And I loved we actually got a connection between the story and the kino scene. Reaffirms that even though he may be lazy he probably has more heart then anyone on the Destiny.

Make an unlikable character likeable? I loved that line when Rush was first introduced and I love it now. Some times you get the impression that Rush is a terrible person and that he and Young hate each other and then you get a scene like this. It actually looked like Rush showed remorse. It looked liked he felt sorry for the events that occurred. They way he tells Young not that he doesn't belong in the lottery and the way that the Destiny was his Destiny. Of course he didn't flat out and say it but it was heavily implied. Reaffirms my belief that Rush will be an interesting and 3D character. Don't tell Lahela I said that. I will say this though it was kind of predictable that Scott and TJ were picked. The only one who can fly the thing and the only one with medical training. Seems quite obvious they were going.

Moving on the lottery itself. The music played itself so nicely. It gave a somber and sad feeling as the names were picked. Not to mention Ming Na really got to show why she is a fantastic actor. I really felt for her when she started to cry. Very inspiring, emotional, and something not all actors can accomplish. Speaking of the shuttle I'm no CGI expert but the shuttle taking off from the Destiny looked pretty awesome not to mention old. It’s a wonder it actually flew. Once going back to the Stargate room for selecting people I have to highlight Greer. I laughed harder then I should have when he punched that guy in the face. This also reaffirms what we know. That he may be an angry and violent person but he has good intentions

Their is nothing like waiting for the end. That is what these next few scenes felt like. Nothing really happened but those left behind coping with their end. And I personally like how each coped in the manner that fit their personality. Chloe need to cope with someone while Rush wanted to be on his own. Speaking of Rush I liked how he used real science (over Stargate science) to explain how the sun would collapse the Destiny. I'll be consulting with the Physics department (aka PG15) for its validity. One other coping that needs to be mentioned is Greer and Young.

Predictable and not predictable. That is how I would describe the climax of this episode but I loved it none the less. For the past week many of us in fandom predicted that the Destiny was going to collect solar energy from the sun and we right. It was just so obvious based on where the ship dropped out of FTL and the course of said. And before I move on let me say the special effects for the collecting of solar energy were awesome. Now to the unpredictable stuff let me say that I didn't see the shuttle being unable to get to Destiny coming. It was an unexpected enjoyable twist even if the slingshot maneuver is an old concept in science fiction. I especially loved Eli and Rush (Go Math Boy) working together to solve a problem. It really shows what his place on the Destiny. Moving back on to the CGI, watching Scott crash/land the ship was well done not mention believable given the two speed.

Finally the last scene shows how Universe is Stargate and yet not Stargate. The scene of everyone in the mess hall clearly illustrates a classic Stargate atmosphere however the little hostility between Rush and Young didn't feel like Stargate. It reillustrates we just never know what Rush is up too. Do you smell that? Its tension and I love it. Just like I loved Light.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                  Its a bit hypercritical though. How can you been religious but completely ignore a vitial component of Christianity on a regular basis.
                  Hate to break the news to you, but quite a lot of people on this planet do it on a daily basis. Funny, every single girl I ever met was for the most part religious, and they did not ask to stop by a chapel on our way to the bedroom if you catch my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    But not all believers in God believe that sex is a sin, and certainly a great many Christians don't believe (or at least don't follow) that.
                    and yet they probably still believe that homosexuals are going to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                      I'm surprised you haven't heard of couples who got together after just meeting and have healthy relationships. My wife and I were married after 4 months, and we knew we wanted to be together after 2 weeks. Almost four years going strong.
                      I appreciate your response (and jelgate) Congratulations on your successful relationship, sincerely.

Of course people hook up quickly, matter of hours if a bar and alcohol is involved.
                      Not at all! Infact I thought it felt very fake, but I don't think we should just discredit it on the shortness of time when infact that happens in real life all the time. It doesn't always last, but it does happen all the time.
                      The shortness of time bothers me greatly. The show is slow to me, so it seems longer to me, but to them, its what? 3 days? In 3 days we have a mutiny in the works, several breakdowns in the chain of command and a guy switching sex partners? She got over her dad real quick no? They aren't wowing me with realism, they are boring me with contrivance.
                      As for the troll thing, I think the Moderator was refering to the person who was being insulting towards other posters and towards people who enjoyed the show. I don't think people who didn't like the episode are Trolls, not unless they start insulting people who did. And Vice Versa. Someone who liked the episode could be a troll to, if they were being insulting towards people who didn't like it.
                      I guess that really wasn't evident in what I replied to. I've seen some trolling on the 'love the show' side.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                        and yet they probably still believe that homosexuals are going to hell.
                        Some might, sure. But for example, I know plenty of Christians (a lot of my closer friends included) who do not believe such things.

I think it really depends both on the sect, as well as that person's individual interpretation and such.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Some might, sure. But for example, I know plenty of Christians (a lot of my closer friends included) who do not believe such things.
                          *raises hand*
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Jelgate's Two Cents

Finally the last scene shows how Universe is Stargate and yet not Stargate. The scene of everyone in the mess hall clearly illustrates a classic Stargate atmosphere however the little hostility between Rush and Young didn't feel like Stargate. It reillustrates we just never know what Rush is up too. Do you smell that? Its tension and I love it. Just like I loved Light.
                            Agree about almost everything you said, except SGA did not have sloppy writing it was different. Most of the time it was good. But most of the time it was about the plot and not characters. So it was different to me.

Also, the last scene was truly a Stargate ending. Both previous Stargates have ended on that dark note, Remember Miller's Crossing? Sheppard questioning if he made the right decision and Mckay thanking him for such a decision. So yeah a Stargate ending which I loved BTW.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, all I can say is I'm glad that something actually happened. Good episode imo, and from the previews it seems that somethings going to happen in the next episode so I'm still hooked, for now. It looks like the pace is picking up since they don't need to just worry about pure survival anymore, and that makes me happy. As a pure sci-fi buff, I can handle the character focus as long as something actually happens in each episode.

Comment

I never said sex was a sin. It isn't.
                                Spoiler:
                                And considering he knocked up a girl as a teen or so and felt much guilt..., especially when he was going to join the priesthood. I just wish someone on tv would take their relationship with God seriously. Though I should know better than to expect that from these particular PTB.

Never mind, I'm not going to debate morality. This isn't the right place and frankly I don't care about the show enough to get up in arms and debate.

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X