Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that hates the whole Young/wife side-plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one who hates thread titles that start with "Am I the only one who..."?

Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
      Heehee das funny. There's gotta be a rule that says "No having sex with another persons body". I did think it was cool though when Camille Wray made a comment to her wife about how the body she was in had different sensations and felt different. Even food/wine tasted different. I've always wondered if chicken to me tastes like carrots to someone else....but we both just call it chicken because we don't know any different. Could be an interesting experience
      I agree. It would be a very interesting experience to swap bodies especially across gender. Imagine really seeing and experiencing all aspects of how the other half lives.

Comment

i think the stones are fine, but i definately think that the HWC will restrict usage.

i personally would've done a different approach. using some form of technology (one unit found in atlantis, the other on the destiny, or so), the people on earth can appear on the destiny as a hologram. one that doesn't constantly flicker.

the amount of people is limited (say, 3) and the amount of people appearing on earth is limited too (same amount).

people can walk around, but not physically interact. they can help but not perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          i'm sorry that we're going for realism
          Next you'll tell me that Reality TV is realism.

That is the problem many of us have. The schlocky SG1 and SGA were more realistic if for only the reason that the bad behavior of these folks would have DISQUALIFIED them from the gate program from the start. T.J. and Scott notwithstanding, you know the gate program has ceased to behave like a real organization within the US military and the international community - charged with the safety of the human race in TWO galaxies - when they are hiring based on being a brilliant game playing dropout, or a brilliant nihilistic scientist, or a violent knuckle-dragger.

At the least Chloe is believable as the gobsmacked stranger since she WAS qualified to serve as a Senators aide and WAS in the wrong place at the wrong time. Everyone else who was there, by virtue of the fact that they were hand picked to work off worldafter passing a battery of psychological and physical preparedness/intelligence tests, were the right people in the right place at the wrong time.

That little touch of un-reality puts this series in its place as being as unrealistic as brilliant scientist saves the day fare. These losers (the characters are well acted and the stories are getting better, but the characters were created to be the misfits of the gate program, therefore 'losers') simply would not exist in a reality where Jack O'Neill-s and George Hammond-s lead a military organization that works with Daniel Jackson-s and Rodney McKay-s.

And I'm tired - from all of the crappy reality television out there, and soapy dramas - of being told that absurd, ignorance fueled drama is "realistic."

Comment

Originally posted by Candy88 View Post
            I completely disagree with that. It ties in with the whole rubbish line that somehow constant drama scenes about silly relationships and "who's cheating with who" storylines are somehow more "complex", "adult" and "educated" than previous Stargate focuses.

SG-1 and SG-A had huge mythologies and ongoing background plots involving ascended ancient races, various rising and falling empires all interacting with each, preying on each others strength and weaknesses, to create an amazingly rich tapestry, which was the main reason I - and I suspect many others - absolutely love the show.

SG-U's background is more like something out of 90210 or one of the many other teen dramas out there, the "rich tapestry" is "have those two slept together yet or not" and "oh, they hate each other because his ex cheated with him". To claim that somehow makes for more complex & intelligent watching than SG-1/SG-A is just plain absurd.
            I heartily concur. I enjoyed how SG1 presented us with the characters...a bit at a time and within a season or two we not only knew more about them but we had come to care about them. sgu is as subtle as your average soap...hitting us over the head with TMI about characters that I don't care about. I will agree with your 90210 comparison and admit I find it highly amusing that "more mature" to TPTB, is that which titilates a teenager.... let's get some real mature subjects... is young's wife in danger of losing her home because he is gone? do they have kids? is one using drugs? how about eli's mom- is she dying? None of this obsession with sex. having been married for 28 + years I will say sex is important still, but not the be-all and end-all of my marriage. There is a deeper connection than sex that comes with maturity, thus far this show hasn't shown it, and I doubt it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibblette View Post
              You're not alone.

I don't think he's a great commander and using the excuse that he has all these poor miserable people to look out for so he has to have an escape-that just ....

If the Colonel cannot put his personal life to the side while he is in command of people in crisis then he is not fit for command. And it has already been mentioned they were trying to talk to him about something VERY important and he wasn't going to listen. He didn't get to beat the crap out of Telford. And by the way how selfish is this that he just clearly doesn't care about the persons body he is in and the damage that Telford could do to it. Or is he hoping Telford won't do any damage?

I absolutely abhor Colonel Young. I don't think he's a good commander. And it is shown constantly in this show. He wants to know about the psych evaluation of the crew from TJ but he doesn't want her to give him one. It doesn't work like that in the military. If a commander cannot have confidence in his psych evaluation then he is a problem.

Of course the whole body swapping thing is just way out of control.

And as far as this show not being like SG-1 or SGA, that's fine but...they need to make it of quality and not crap.

And in my opinion this stuff is just bad.

SG-1 and SGA had quality writing. I didn't always agree with the writers choices but I could always say good writing-well thought out.

This stuff is just not thought out. I feel like most of the sex is gratuitous, the storyline of survival takes a back seat as does the whole science fiction that this show is really suppose to be about.

This last ep was definitly a soap opera-in fact I think I saw this ep on General Hospital back in the 80's.
              Fantastic writeup and I agree with what you said 100%. It's getting really old to hear that all of this sex, who's sleeping with who, body-swapping stuff is more realistic. Maybe I'm just a prude but I enjoyed the way relationships were handled in SG-1 and SG-A.

Originally posted by Candy88 View Post
              I completely disagree with that. It ties in with the whole rubbish line that somehow constant drama scenes about silly relationships and "who's cheating with who" storylines are somehow more "complex", "adult" and "educated" than previous Stargate focuses.

SG-1 and SG-A had huge mythologies and ongoing background plots involving ascended ancient races, various rising and falling empires all interacting with each, preying on each others strength and weaknesses, to create an amazingly rich tapestry, which was the main reason I - and I suspect many others - absolutely love the show.

SG-U's background is more like something out of 90210 or one of the many other teen dramas out there, the "rich tapestry" is "have those two slept together yet or not" and "oh, they hate each other because his ex cheated with him". To claim that somehow makes for more complex & intelligent watching than SG-1/SG-A is just plain absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                I thought Scott's and that psychologist's (can't remember her name, sorry!) relationships with people on Earth were great and realistic. But Young's was and always has been just annoying on so many levels. It's exactly the kind of soap-opera-I-could-get-this-on-any-terrible-drama-show plot that I hate every time it finds its way into an episode (which is pretty much every episode).

Gah! Enough with it already! I liked Young's character before he started acting like he did in this episode. Now every time I think of him I think of his "scandalous" actions back on Earth (never jump to conclusions, surely a colonel would know this?).

Anyone else feel the same way?
                I feel like this show is turning into a Mtv drama..

Or some kinda soap opera my mom would watch, like general hospital or something like that.

Were is the shooting and killing? Enough with the stupid relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                  I thought Scott's and that psychologist's (can't remember her name, sorry!) relationships with people on Earth were great and realistic. But Young's was and always has been just annoying on so many levels. It's exactly the kind of soap-opera-I-could-get-this-on-any-terrible-drama-show plot that I hate every time it finds its way into an episode (which is pretty much every episode).

Gah! Enough with it already! I liked Young's character before he started acting like he did in this episode. Now every time I think of him I think of his "scandalous" actions back on Earth (never jump to conclusions, surely a colonel would know this?).

Anyone else feel the same way?
                  I agree this is exactly the kind of crap i thought we'd be getting when TPTB told us this show would focus on characters and relationships, enough already!!! can we get a plot? a story?? something other than this soap opera stuff.

Comment

it makes him(and other SGU characters as well) more human than any other character in SG-1/SGA.
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Next you'll tell me that Reality TV is realism.

That is the problem many of us have. The schlocky SG1 and SGA were more realistic if for only the reason that the bad behavior of these folks would have DISQUALIFIED them from the gate program from the start. T.J. and Scott notwithstanding, you know the gate program has ceased to behave like a real organization within the US military and the international community - charged with the safety of the human race in TWO galaxies - when they are hiring based on being a brilliant game playing dropout, or a brilliant nihilistic scientist, or a violent knuckle-dragger.

At the least Chloe is believable as the gobsmacked stranger since she WAS qualified to serve as a Senators aide and WAS in the wrong place at the wrong time. Everyone else who was there, by virtue of the fact that they were hand picked to work off worldafter passing a battery of psychological and physical preparedness/intelligence tests, were the right people in the right place at the wrong time.

That little touch of un-reality puts this series in its place as being as unrealistic as brilliant scientist saves the day fare. These losers (the characters are well acted and the stories are getting better, but the characters were created to be the misfits of the gate program, therefore 'losers') simply would not exist in a reality where Jack O'Neill-s and George Hammond-s lead a military organization that works with Daniel Jackson-s and Rodney McKay-s.

And I'm tired - from all of the crappy reality television out there, and soapy dramas - of being told that absurd, ignorance fueled drama is "realistic."
                      i'm not saying that all is realistic. but non-perfect characters are better than the SG1 and -the biggest violator- SGA perfect characters

Comment

At first I thought the storyline was interesting, but I feel after this last episode it's run it's course. Move on...anymore scenes would just feel bland and uninteresting.
                        It feels good to be alive.
                        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I think this storyline could be over and done with using one short scene: General O'Neill transferring Telford to Antarctica. Permanently. Or maybe to Leavenworth. There's another thread that lists all the military rules Telford has broken, not to mention I'm sure there is a rule against telling a civilian( clearance or not) who exactly is on this "top secret mission". In real life, didn't our previous Vice President and some of his staff get in serious legal trouble for allegedly "outing" a CIA agent?
                          Last edited by Jeff-B; 24 November 2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I don't hate the Young subplot. So I don't agree with you. I DO think that the writers need to do more than just use the stones every episode, but I believe they are trying to give you the emotional background of the characters. Frankly, Young's subplot is the only interesting one, imo, because his storyline ties Telford to the story, and he is part of the Stargate world.

I like the tension between Telford and Young, and it's even better when they are in the same scene together. I do, however, feel that maybe it's time for them to get rid of Young's wife. She feels that he is still sleeping with TJ, even though he isn't, and I'm not sure if he can convince her again that he is not cheating. So, if that's the case, let's just move Young's story along. I agree with others that I see him having much more chemistry with TJ. However, I can hear the fanboys complaining from here if the writers ever choose to hook up Young with TJ.

I like the somewhat realistic aspects of SGU. These are lonely people who are also dedicated to their jobs. It doesn't mean that they are perfect and are suppose to make every "right" decision without fail. That's nuts.

Young is my favorite character.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfighter89 View Post
                              That would get his ass thrown deep into some secret military prison pretty fast.
                              yes but he would hurt young and that's all he cares about right nwo
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Personally, I don't mind this subplot at all. Actually, it has gotten pretty good now. Young is starting to become my favorite character very quickly.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X