This week's LRC stones discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobertF View Post
    1) Crewmembers on the Destiny getting so fed up with life shipboard that they exchange bodies with someone on Earth and then go AWOL, stranding some poor airman on the Destiny in a stranger's body.
    As far as we know the communication can be disrupted from both sides. So the poor airman just takes the stone from the Destiny device and switches back.

2) Or ... one of the more unscrupulous crewmembers on Destiny who is mortally injured on a mission, or suffering from a fatal illness, decides to switch bodies with a healthy person back on Earth and go AWOL.
    As established in Earth: When a person dies both participants of the communication die. A body cannot survive without a mind and a mind cannot survive without a body.

3) As the Destiny crew gets more strung out, someone screws up the LRC exchange program queue, and people end up switching back to the wrong bodies. Person A switches with Person B, and then switches back to Person C instead of B. Humorous situations could develop (for example, men swapping bodies with women - Eli and Chloe comes to mind...).
    Could be a nice one

4) How about exchanging bodies with an animal, or is that not possible? I can see Telford, out of spite, hooking up a worm to the LRC device when he knows it's Young's turn.
    Or Telford switches into one of the sandflies

Comment

Originally posted by Killfetzer View Post
      As established in Earth: When a person dies both participants of the communication die. A body cannot survive without a mind and a mind cannot survive without a body.
      A body can. If the mind goes, the body is comatose. People don't "think" how to breathe, so, well, if someone died, hope he/she signed organ donor card...

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but have been posting on the SG:Worlds site till recently. I started a thread over there about the stones never going cross gender, I haven't had the opportunity to read through all the posts here on the stones, but has someone brought that up yet? <snip, the topic is the communication stones, not other fans>

Comment

If someone were to go AWOL, once discovered, the SGC would simply have to turn the device off and everyone is back to where they belong, though I'm sure there would be disciplinary actions against the offender.

Comment

The question has been posed towards one of the producers (Joe Mallozzi), and he seems to indicate that the gender of the "arrivals" would be told to the Earth people beforehand to avoid genderbending, as it were.

Comment

BTW, you don't "swap back", you just return to normal when the connection ends. So you can't swap back into the wrong body.
              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                BTW, you don't "swap back", you just return to normal when the connection ends. So you can't swap back into the wrong body.
                And Stargates can't tunnel through suns to deposit an exotict heavy element which let the star go nova...

The Ancient version most likely had such a saftey protocol to prevent a "critical failure". The Earth version won't have this saftey if the writers ever need such a body swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                  yes, we see an officer at their house, while the swapper is waiting in the car.
                  He must explain the situation in 5 minutes, then make them sign a paper, and here we go. They just have no problem believing what is extreme science fiction for the common people.
                  I don't buy it.
                  I am pretty sure if my partner was a high ranking army dude on secret missions for months on end, then one day another high ranking army dude came over and told me that he had body swapped, that I would believe it.

The loved ones perhaps are not so closed minded to believe they know everything about everything.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    I am pretty sure if my partner was a high ranking army dude on secret missions for months on end, then one day another high ranking army dude came over and told me that he had body swapped, that I would believe it.

The loved ones perhaps are not so closed minded to believe they know everything about everything.
                    Perhaps.. they're really in an emotional state that make them think with their heart rather than their brain.. But I continue to find it strange how fast they accept the situation without saying "what kind of bullshxxx you're telling me?".
                    I like how they handled Eli's mother; that was realistic; Eli knew she wouldn't believe/understand so easily. But I'd like to see a case where the "loved one" doesn't believe any word of it and shout " it's all lies, that's crazy, stop lying to me and tell me what really happened to X, and stop taking me for a fool; soon you'll tell me that little green men exist, and that you can beam me up to your spaceship! I'm not that gullable"!
                    I used to like in SG1 when they revealed the truth to someone, especially Carter's dad. I believed it more. I didn't ask myself so many questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Griele View Post
                      Hey everyone, I'm new here, but have been posting on the SG:Worlds site till recently. I started a thread over there about the stones never going cross gender, I haven't had the opportunity to read through all the posts here on the stones, but has someone brought that up yet? <snip, the topic is the communication stones, not other fans>
                      Vala took over Daniel's body in an episode of Sg1 to warn them the Ori were coming so it's possible for gender switch.
                      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I want to know who Telford called to get Young disconnected? Telford, as far as we know, isn't in charge of anything. So how does he have the authority to just "make a call" and get someone disconnected just because he doesn't like what's happening?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          The question has been posed towards one of the producers (Joe Mallozzi), and he seems to indicate that the gender of the "arrivals" would be told to the Earth people beforehand to avoid genderbending, as it were.
                          I would like to know how??

Comment

Originally posted by Killfetzer View Post
                            And Stargates can't tunnel through suns to deposit an exotict heavy element which let the star go nova...

The Ancient version most likely had such a saftey protocol to prevent a "critical failure". The Earth version won't have this saftey if the writers ever need such a body swapping
                            No, I'm saying that the method the stones use - making a connection and then breaking the connection - precludes the possibility of 'going back to the wrong body'. Just like taking the key out of my car's ignition won't make it go into reverse gear.
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              I would like to know how??
                              Someone uses the stones to tell Earth.

So yeah, there could be some genderbending in that first instance, but that's just a way to get across a message. After telling Earth, they'll assemble the right gendered people for the actual session.

This is all speculation, of course.

Comment

Gender bending hey... Why does my mind race immediately to the gutter.

Stupid brain. Do something useful for once.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X