No announcement yet.

The Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so we know it is either a repository or a control chair or both... many have said "this tech predates the ATA gene" and while that is true, if we remember from Gen. O'Neill having the ATA gene allows you to receive all that info without dying! At a point Thor says "without [his particular gene] he would not have survived the repository of knowledge" ... soooo if they put someone in the chair that has it, they therefore increase that persons chance of survival.
    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Here's my theory that ties in to the Lucian Alliance.

The Lucian Alliance is concerned in the long term of earth's military might. The Lucian Alliance just broke free from the Go'uld and none of the planets they occupy have the industrial capacity or advanced technology that earth possesses. The Tok'ra, the Ori, the Jaffa, and the Go'uld are all dead in the long term. The Lucian Alliance is the only viable power able to compete against against earth and they can do nothing.

I think the Lucian Alliance knew about the chair. I think they believed it was their one last chance of leveling the playing field and they didn't want earth to obtain it. They know that earth has access to both Ancient and Asgard databases (the Go'uld knew about Atlantis so it's not too far fetched to assume the Lucian Alliance knows about it too).

Comment

Seems a little bit familiar to me

If we look at the chair in that light, it could be used to extract knowledge from rather then download it into someone's brain.

It could have been used to build up a complete working knowledge of the explorations made by the Ancients and more nefariously used as a kind of interrogation method for hostile species. It certainly beats writing mission reports and it could take stock of things that a written report might omit and immediately incorporate it into the ships database.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
          Here's my theory that ties in to the Lucian Alliance.

The Lucian Alliance is concerned in the long term of earth's military might. The Lucian Alliance just broke free from the Go'uld and none of the planets they occupy have the industrial capacity or advanced technology that earth possesses. The Tok'ra, the Ori, the Jaffa, and the Go'uld are all dead in the long term. The Lucian Alliance is the only viable power able to compete against against earth and they can do nothing.

I think the Lucian Alliance knew about the chair. I think they believed it was their one last chance of leveling the playing field and they didn't want earth to obtain it. They know that earth has access to both Ancient and Asgard databases (the Go'uld knew about Atlantis so it's not too far fetched to assume the Lucian Alliance knows about it too).
          There is one big hole in your theory.

The only thing they know of was that there was a 9 chevron address, it was in Atlantis' database only, noone knew what was at the other end of the wormhole, not even the humans with their Ancient, Ancient++ (Atlantis) or Asgard databases, it's highly unlikely the Lucians knew about the 9 chevron address, let alone that there was a repository chair at the other end of it, cause let's face it, they'd NEED a repository to get that kind of info.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
            LOL

If he was really cleaver its what he should said from the start. "I'm not sure what it is, but I think its a control chair mr Young".

"Hey Greer I think its a control chair like in Antartica and Atlantis. Do you want to sit on it and save everybody? Young is ok with it. Good luck, friend!".

Instead of all this fake Icarus planet scheme.
            Rush's basic problem is that he's too honest. He says what something is, Young does his usual dummyspit because he hates Rush, and then Rush is forced to improvise.

Comment

I don't know...it seems kinda retarded Rush can't access the main systems but he can somehow make entries into the database. Pretty serious entries about planets and their properties. Something isn't matching up. So he badly wants someone else to sit in the chair. But not himself. Seems sorta like a rats plan but after thinking about it maybe he thinks he's the only one that can respond or help whoever sits in the chair. If Rush sits in the chair and things go bad who will help him?

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                I don't know...it seems kinda retarded Rush can't access the main systems but he can somehow make entries into the database. Pretty serious entries about planets and their properties. Something isn't matching up. So he badly wants someone else to sit in the chair. But not himself. Seems sorta like a rats plan but after thinking about it maybe he thinks he's the only one that can respond or help whoever sits in the chair. If Rush sits in the chair and things go bad who will help him?
                Given how he's constantly putting out fires elsewhere and how useless everyone else seems to have turned out, I'm hardly surprised he thinks that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                  I don't know...it seems kinda retarded Rush can't access the main systems but he can somehow make entries into the database.
                  Its better to turn your brain off when you watch SGU. Things happen not in a realistic way, but only to advance the plot.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Since we're speculating, since Rush was able to access the database of the seeder ships from that room that the chair was in, the chair is a means of automating that process. It's neither a control chair for the Destiny, nor an "ancient repository" of their knowlege (why would they put that on their own ship anyway?). I think it's specific to that ship, and that mission.

It was meant so that the Ancients who boarded Destiny, thousands of years after it's launch, could have instant access to the knowledge collected thus far. Also, I think the speculation that it would provide detailed working knowledge of the Destiny's systems is highly likely, though not control per se, the assumption might have been that the control codes could be lost (good supposition given that the Atlantis database had a mention of the 9 chevron address, but apparently no entry talking about where it goes, what it does, or what to do when you get there...)

I would even further speculate that it might offer some measure of control of the seeder ships (wouldn't that be cool) so that they could be accessed or repaired, perhaps even programmed to seek out a specific kind of planet?

IMHO, what it would do to a human physiology is completely dependent on how different the Ancients were from current humans, when the Destiny was launched, millions of years ago? Were they highly evolved, pre-Ascension level Ancients? Probably not, but how far along, and how different were they... The closer to "us", the less likely the thing would be to be lethal.

Comment

+1 with ThePlut

I think the chair will be built up and up and then be a huge disappointment. It will give the user instant access to a "map" of where the seeder ships are or where they have been, there will be a huge mental interactive 3d display of the universe as seen by the combined navigation of the ships and where they dropped gates. They will be able to see "red" gates for dangerous "do not go here" planets and "green" gates that indicate planets with water, food, air, etc essential for Destiny.

Lastly, I think they will throw a curve ball in there, they will make contact with other "Destiny" ships in far far regions of the galaxy. They will be able to communicate with the other ships. This will be done just as Earth finds a way to power another gate to connect to Destiny, they will be dropped on another ship and the two will be able to communicate with each other. There have to be other ships out there, the anceints would not send out MULTIPLE seeder ships in what is assumed every direction if they were just going to send Destiny out in a straight line. Maybe the seeders are following the same path and there are many that are seeding the Galaxies on Destiny's path to the edge of the Universe.

Comment

I'm going to throw my vote in with the command chair crowd. Even if it were a repository I think when Destiny was launched the ancients weren't much more biologically advanced than we are now. So I doubt it would be in anyway dangerous, well aside from the fact it is a device designed to directly interact with your brain, and its hasn't been serviced since well, ever.

Those restraints do worry me though, I don't think using the chair is going to be a very pleasant experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          stick chloe in it. she can be the ai of destiny
                          Are you sure you want to do that? Really sure?..

Comment

I've seen several people asking the question "Why would the ancients build a repository on Destiny if they were the ones planning on going there."

I think the answer is fairly simple... The ancients knew that Destiny would need millenia to complete it's mission. The people that designed Destiny would be long dead when the intended crew finally got there, so they would have left information for their ancestors on how to repair the Destiny. As society progresses and various technologies fall out of use the knowledge of how to repair those technologies will become less and less common.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                              Uh... that's the point. This is how everyone on the ship feels as well. The point is, Rush is constantly saying stuff, and no one knows how he does it or if he's telling the truth.
                              And yet nobody on the ship musters the curiosity to ask "Why do you say that?" or "How did you come to that conclusion?" I mean, we're not asking for major blurbs of technobabble here, but a bit of an explanation or discussion from all of the scientists on board would seem a tad more realistic than the "Rush said it, so it must be so" we appear to be getting from them so far, particularly given the trust issues he seems to have.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoLL's View Post
                                And yet nobody on the ship musters the curiosity to ask "Why do you say that?" or "How did you come to that conclusion?" I mean, we're not asking for major blurbs of technobabble here, but a bit of an explanation or discussion from all of the scientists on board would seem a tad more realistic than the "Rush said it, so it must be so" we appear to be getting from them so far, particularly given the trust issues he seems to have.
                                But it isn't 'Rush said it, so it must be so'. He's always disbelieved, made out to be a liar, or undermined. They blame him for getting them stranded there but there was a valid scientific reason for dialling the nineth chevron instead of Earth or anywhere else in the Milky Way. So far, no one has said 'Why did you do that?' They just seem to assume that he did it maliciously.

Comment

Working...
                                X