The Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Count View Post
    Can i point out that the repository was DESIGNED to "overwhelm" an average human? For all intents and purposes it dumped every piece of knowledge in existance that the Ancients knew into a person's head and started assisting the user in ascending, the only reason it failed was because humans weren't advanced enough to figure out how to ascend before they were killed by the machine...
    And when was that stated? The Ancient repository had nothing to do with ascension but with passing on their knowledge and their experience. That's why it was called "the place of our legacy (or leg, whatever)"
    "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

Originally posted by Darynlxm View Post
      How about next time you dont just mine part of the quote?

See that part? Thats the important part of everythin he said.
      He seemed to state that rush's assessment was indisputable.

Do you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by coZma View Post
        And when was that stated? The Ancient repository had nothing to do with ascension but with passing on their knowledge and their experience. That's why it was called "the place of our legacy (or leg, whatever)"
        It was never directly stated, but here's the evidence.

On three occasions, a human whose looked into this thing has ended up developing "superpowers", telekinesis, clairvoyance, advanced knowledge, healing, all the precursors to ascension as descibed and documented throughout SG-1 and Atlantis.

The asgard said the device was designed for people with more advanced brains then humans, but they were amazed that humans in that state were capable of even processing the knowledge.

Not to mention in every mythology around the ancients, their legacy is the "gift of ascension", mainly in pegasus, but Kheb and the rest, they leave behind information telling them how to attain ascension as well.

So "The Place of our Legacy" is their final production development of the ancient database technology AND an auto-ascender.

Tho one can argue that the knowledge simply started to re-write the brains of humans in patterns the ancients had documented and stored in the device, which were precursors to ascension, not force ascension itself.. that's only a side affect of O'neill's or Daniel's subconscious minds processing the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
          Right so the chair is the predecessor to the head sucker rather than a chair.
          If you think you know more than Rush fine... If you think you know more than the writers however....

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
          I'm sure it will play a major role. I'm curious about Youngs comments about the chair being dangerous and almost killing Jack, yes it may have but surely they know that not all the chairs work that way. I'm surprised Rush didn't mention that the Atlantis chair has been used repeatedly with no ill effects.
          There were no head suckers on Atlantis, at least as far as I can remember. The chair didn't kill nearly Jack, the head sucker did. This chair, despite being a chair, is not like the Lantean control chairs, it's more like a head sucker because it downloads information into your brain
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Count View Post
            It was never directly stated, but here's the evidence.

On three occasions, a human whose looked into this thing has ended up developing "superpowers", telekinesis, clairvoyance, advanced knowledge, healing, all the precursors to ascension as descibed and documented throughout SG-1 and Atlantis.

The asgard said the device was designed for people with more advanced brains then humans, but they were amazed that humans in that state were capable of even processing the knowledge.

Not to mention in every mythology around the ancients, their legacy is the "gift of ascension", mainly in pegasus, but Kheb and the rest, they leave behind information telling them how to attain ascension as well.

So "The Place of our Legacy" is their final production development of the ancient database technology AND an auto-ascender.

Tho one can argue that the knowledge simply started to re-write the brains of humans in patterns the ancients had documented and stored in the device, which were precursors to ascension, not force ascension itself.. that's only a side affect of O'neill's or Daniel's subconscious minds processing the information.
            From what I understand this device downloads such a vast amount of data into your mind that in order for it to be processed your brain pushes itself beyond its limits, not unlike overclocking your processor. Anyway this only happens because we're not advanced enough. From what we know this device has no effects on ancients for whom it was intended. The ascension machine on Atlantis did not download any information into McKay's mind and as of the ancients leaving us information on how to ascend, well, the one that were not ascended obviously didn't know how and the ones that did ascend were not allowed to interfere.I don't think it was created to help one ascend it was just as it's called a library of knowledge
            "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              My first reaction was that it was a predecessor to the Ancient Control Chairs, rather than the repositories.

Judging from what happened/was said in this episode though, I'm thinking that at some point Rush and Greer will agree to put him (Greer) in the chair. Whether that results in Greer dying or not, I'm not prepared to speculate just yet.
              Yes me too.
              Since when the ancient repository interface looks like chairs?
              O'Neill got his head sucked in a strange machine.
              just look at this page from the Gateworld Omnipedia
              http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Ancien...y_of_knowledge

And aren't they supposed to have the Asgard's knowledge? They're the ones who could turn O'Neill's brain back to normal.
              So just use the damned stones for something useful for a change, and get the Asgard's knowledge...

Comment

maybe it doenst download information but connects the user to the ship, they can access the information, control the ship etc but as soon as they are out they have only what they can remeber in there head but it takes a toll on the user and they slowly lose memory

Comment

I honestly believed that it was the same as the chair platform "chair" rather than anything else.

Perhaps they've jury rigged the interface to allow the transfer of knowledge into children or the like?

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                  : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    maybe it doenst download information but connects the user to the ship, they can access the information, control the ship etc but as soon as they are out they have only what they can remeber in there head but it takes a toll on the user and they slowly lose memory
                    yes, we don't know for sure that it is a device to download knowledge, they only assumed that. It could be just a way to control the ship by thought.
                    We have no idea of its purpose.
                    We'll probably discover it later..

Comment

I also not sure why they assumed it was an download archive chair. It look much more like an Atlantis-like control chair with electrodes reading your mind to know what to do on it. Since they don't show how Rush and others arrived to that conclusion, we can't know for sure.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Maybe the electrodes are the old version of the gene-commanded controls, and the sort of gel substance where they put their hands on..
                        If I was Rush, I'd say I found out it's not a download interface but only a simple harmless helm's chair... But his credibility has gone down lately....

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                          Maybe the electrodes are the old version of the gene-commanded controls, and the sort of gel substance where they put their hands on..
                          If I was Rush, I'd say I found out it's not a download interface but only a simple harmless helm's chair...
                          LOL

If he was really cleaver its what he should said from the start. "I'm not sure what it is, but I think its a control chair mr Young".

"Hey Greer I think its a control chair like in Antartica and Atlantis. Do you want to sit on it and save everybody? Young is ok with it. Good luck, friend!".

Instead of all this fake Icarus planet scheme.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

How about we trust the scientists to know how to do their own jobs?
                            If they said it was a download device; then it's a download device.

-frank

Comment

Originally posted by frankr View Post
                              How about we trust the scientists to know how to do their own jobs?
                              If they said it was a download device; then it's a download device.

-frank
                              Trust is earned. The scientist in question has earned very little thus far in the series. He's proven time and time again that he's willing to either flat out lie, omit or bend/stretch the truth in order to suit his own personal agenda. The writers have succeeded in getting me to question the accuracy of literally every word that comes out of his mouth.

Blindly trust him if you like, but I'll need a good deal more evidence before I do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
                                Trust is earned. The scientist in question has earned very little thus far in the series. He's proven time and time again that he's willing to either flat out lie, omit or bend/stretch the truth in order to suit his own personal agenda. The writers have succeeded in getting me to question the accuracy of literally every word that comes out of his mouth.

Blindly trust him if you like, but I'll need a good deal more evidence before I do the same.
                                And I don't know why Rush would be so in hurry to have someone trying the chair if it had the potential to download the ancient database with potentially the knowledge to make another power unit, like O'Neill before, to gate back directly to earth.

Comment

Working...
                                X