Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure they were. Telford still acts like it's his command, and technically, Telford did nothing wrong in his command, so I'd guess its still his command. But it's impossible to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Yusagi View Post
      I'm not sure they were. Telford still acts like it's his command, and technically, Telford did nothing wrong in his command, so I'd guess its still his command. But it's impossible to say.
      I think Telford acts like a bitter man who is upset that he didn't get to go through the gate. And I wonder if it is true that he did nothing wrong, there was something about the way Jack played his line about Telford being ordered to evacuate. But you're right, it's impossible to say right now...

Comment

I think Telford acts like a bitter man who is upset that he didn't get to go through the gate. And I wonder if it is true that he did nothing wrong, there was something about the way Jack played his line about Telford being ordered to evacuate. But you're right, it's impossible to say right now...
        Oh I suspect he really was ordered to evacuate. There's no reason he would have been expected to stay, especially not with the other sharp minds he had with him.

Comment

Oh I suspect he really was ordered to evacuate. There's no reason he would have been expected to stay, especially not with the other sharp minds he had with him.
          I don't know. I agree that the scientists were probably advised to evacuate, but from what I understand about the military, I don't think he'd have been ordered to evacuate. It doesn't fit, a captain isn't supposed to abandon ship, when he's risking the lives of the soldiers he'd commanding. As I understand it, that's the core of the trust between and officer and the officers beneath him.

Comment

I don't know. I agree that the scientists were probably advised to evacuate, but from what I understand about the military, I don't think he'd have been ordered to evacuate. It doesn't fit, a captain isn't supposed to abandon ship, when he's risking the lives of the soldiers he'd commanding. As I understand it, that's the core of the trust between and officer and the officers beneath him.
            But at the same time, Telford dying on the ship would mean Young dying, too. Given the implied source of the orders, they'd be more concerned about efficiency and the possibility of salvaging something, than anything else.

Comment

But at the same time, Telford dying on the ship would mean Young dying, too. Given the implied source of the orders, they'd be more concerned about efficiency and the possibility of salvaging something, than anything else.
              But Young would die not matter what. I understand your point, but how would a soldier be able to trust a commander who would abandon his command? I can understand that maybe he was advised to evacuate by the IOA, but not ordered to by the military, if that makes sense. I just feel like it would go against the ideals of the military, and that if Telford was advised to evacuate, the military commanders above him, would hope that he wouldn't ditch.

Comment

But Young would die not matter what. I understand your point, but how would a soldier be able to trust a commander who would abandon his command? I can understand that maybe he was advised to evacuate by the IOA, but not ordered to by the military, if that makes sense. I just feel like it would go against the ideals of the military, and that if Telford was advised to evacuate, the military commanders above him, would hope that he wouldn't ditch.
                It is possible, but I get the feeling we're supposed to see Earth military as jerks, too, so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd ordered it. Regardless, we won't know until they mention it.

Comment

It is possible, but I get the feeling we're supposed to see Earth military as jerks, too, so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd ordered it. Regardless, we won't know until they mention it.

I think we're supposed to see Telford as a jerk, but not necessarily Earth military, and say that only because Jack or is in charge of the Stargate faction of the military has been shown to actually understand the implications of the fact that the Destiny crew is billions of light-years away from Earth, and essentially alone. I see Young as the man who could have been in command, if he had been prepared, who has unfortunately lost this ability due to the boring Earth-related stuff (not a fan of seeing Earth so much on a show that I thought would focus on the Destiny) as well the fact that he apparently supposed to go home and work on his marriage some time after the launch of the expedition (though I think we're supposed to see him as the caring commander who should be sympathized with, but I can't sympathize with him at this point).

Comment

I think we're supposed to see Telford as a jerk, but not necessarily Earth military, and say that only because Jack or is in charge of the Stargate faction of the military has been shown to actually understand the implications of the fact that the Destiny crew is billions of light-years away from Earth, and essentially alone. I see Young as the man who could have been in command, if he had been prepared, who has unfortunately lost this ability due to the boring Earth-related stuff (not a fan of seeing Earth so much on a show that I thought would focus on the Destiny) as well the fact that he apparently supposed to go home and work on his marriage some time after the launch of the expedition (though I think we're supposed to see him as the caring commander who should be sympathized with, but I can't sympathize with him at this point).
                    I currently hope to be proven wrong on that aspect. I wouldn't like being expected to dislike Jack. Frankly, I also hope Young can pull himself together and become a better commander for the Destiny.

Comment

I currently hope to be proven wrong on that aspect. I wouldn't like being expected to dislike Jack. Frankly, I also hope Young can pull himself together and become a better commander for the Destiny.
                      I think the biggest mistake the writers could do would be to suddenly write the SG1 characters negatively. Plus I think there's a reason they had Jack mention that he didn't like the way he was forced to "ground" Young. It would be completely out of character for Jack to not sympathize with Young (even if his actions may have to go against Young, due to his new position. I do love the parallels between Jack and Hammond). You know what though, I think we're supposed to see Young as a Jack-like character in the making, and I think that could be true to a degree, but in my biased opinion, I'd say Greer is a Jack-like character in the making. His loyalty, his need to save/protect his people, his willingness to risk his own life if it'll mean sending these people home (his comments on the Chair). But again, I'm biased, I think the actor is amazing at portraying Greer, with less attention than many of the other primary characters, we gotten so much from his expression and delivery of lines...OK I'll shutup now...

Comment

I have no doubt we're meant to see Young as the Jack archetype, just as Rush is the Daniel-Rodney one, given his position, but I'd say you're right. He doesn't really fit Jack as well as Greer.

Comment

I just have so much trouble about how we're supposed to read Rush, something's missing I just don't know what it is, or if it's supposed to be missing.

Comment

I just have so much trouble about how we're supposed to read Rush, something's missing I just don't know what it is, or if it's supposed to be missing.
                            For me, it's the counterpoint to his selfishnes and his general...rudeness. We haven't really even gotten glimmers of that yet, so he feels a bit 2-D. Life did not help with that. At least to me.

Comment

For me, it's the counterpoint to his selfishnes and his general...rudeness. We haven't really even gotten glimmers of that yet, so he feels a bit 2-D. Life did not help with that. At least to me.

I think that's true. I also still feel that he's being written one way, and portrayed/directed in another direction so on paper he seems to be one thing, while when you watch him it's very different.

Comment

I think that's true. I also still feel that he's being written one way, and portrayed/directed in another direction so on paper he seems to be one thing, while when you watch him it's very different.
                                Which makes for unpleasant confusion whilst viewing.

Comment

Working...
                                X