Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could very well be possible. It is a very interesting idea, I'm just a little wary of it too. Not sure why though.
    If they do it wrongly it could either come off as a cheap (either in its opportunity or in why they couldn't get them all through), or if done too often, defeat the purpose of them being stuck out there. Which would be a bit of a double whammy with the stones already allowing them to see things they'd otherwise be losing (such as Wray seeing the rowboat she'd started to forget, or Chloe seeing her friend was with her ex-bf.)

And will also deal with the power struggle Rush and Young have. But I can just imagine them being little puppies trying to get Wray's attention and love.
    Indeed. It could be an interesting dynamic.

Comment

Also, with the numbers that they need to man the different bases and ships, their standards have dropped. There just aren't that many best and brightest out there...
      There's a wide berth between best-and-brightest and skin-of-their-teeth officers, though. I'm not saying that SGU's crew is that, mind. I'm just making an observance.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        I don't disagree with this. But I think Scott, Greer and James wouldn't remove him of command... they seem to trust him. Don't know why though. He must have been a good commander on the Icarus base.
        Scott Maybe...I think he'd follow orders.
        Greer no.
        James...I think so.

You see there is back ground we're not getting, I wish we got it before hand.

I agree, I think Young could be in a world of trouble. I also think a court martial could be on the horizon for him, if they can do it (especially after the Telford incident).

I didn't mean to imply there weren't repercussions for your actions.
        Gotcha.

I agree with you here too. I think that's why we potentially will see and uprising on board. Young is to irrational to gain the trust of anyone but the military. The military are outnumbers, and the scientists have a lot of power...
        But if that were true...if the scientist have the numbers and power....(like questioned ColdFuzz) why are they cooperating with the military in the midst of this rivalry...I say it should have broke already but I'm pretty sure that's next week episode.

I don't think he was on duty. I think he was in stand down waiting for the next thing to happen - hence the radio. But, we weren't really told... so none of us can be sure .
        I'm sure but I'll let it lie. I understand the gap of certainty.

I think they do, otherwise Jack wouldn't be a 3 star General.

Also, with the numbers that they need to man the different bases and ships, their standards have dropped. There just aren't that many best and brightest out there...
        I was hoping you wouldn't get that particular angle. I should give you more credit but I'll say this....

They'll take those guys as grunts on ships but not like the Icarus projects. Projects are always hand picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yusagi View Post
          If they do it wrongly it could either come off as a cheap (either in its opportunity or in why they couldn't get them all through), or if done too often, defeat the purpose of them being stuck out there. Which would be a bit of a double whammy with the stones already allowing them to see things they'd otherwise be losing (such as Wray seeing the rowboat she'd started to forget, or Chloe seeing her friend was with her ex-bf.)
          That could be why I am uncomfortable with it Cheers!!! Green for you.

Indeed. It could be an interesting dynamic.
          One I really really want explored now.

There's a wide berth between best-and-brightest and skin-of-their-teeth officers, though. I'm not saying that SGU's crew is that, mind. I'm just making an observance.
          I couldn't agree with you more. Thankfully I don't think we have those types. We have middle of the range.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
          Greer no.
          James...I think so.

I think we'll get that brackground, it's just coming piecemeal. You could be right and Scott and James may follow orders, but Scott was so reticent when Telford was giving orders in opposition to Young that I'm not really sure.

But if that were true...if the scientist have the numbers and power....(like questioned ColdFuzz) why are they cooperating with the military in the midst of this rivalry...I say it should have broke already but I'm pretty sure that's next week episode.
          Because they fell into their comfortable positions like they had on Icarus. But, when it looks less and less liekly they are getting home, and the military continue to be the irrational mess Young is making them, that'll change.

I'm sure but I'll let it lie. I understand the gap of certainty.
          It's just one of those things that look one way and sound another. I really think it's got a lot to do with set design and that, but that's a complaint probably more suited for another thread .

I was hoping you wouldn't get that particular angle. I should give you more credit but I'll say this....

They'll take those guys as grunts on ships but not like the Icarus projects. Projects are always hand picks.
          I don't think they were all intended to go through the gate... Then again, I could be wrong there.

All in all, I don't think they were all that bad before they ended up on Destiny. Sometimes these kinds of challenges show us who a person really is. Scott and Greer are really rising to the challenge as in James, the others seem to be falling apart.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Greer no.
            James...I think so.

I think you can only do so much. You need a balance of plot and character development. Fans are already complaining their is to much character development. Think what would happen if you added more?

Because they only have the numbers. The military are the ones with the power. That much is obvious with the way Young orders everyone around. But I think we can all see a munity breaking out

Grunts are grunts. Rather its a top secret ship or a top secret base the job is the same so I see no idea why the criteria would be different. Its not like the soldiers are particpating in the science behind the Icarus project
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Greer no.
              James...I think so.
              I don't know who James is, but Earth clearly illustrates that, as things stand, Greer would defy any order relieving Young of Command. Scott would obey the order, but would look for any loopholes he could.

Because they're frightened and need someone to say "Okay, I know what's going on. Go this way and everything will be fine." Eventually, they'll acclimate, be given another option, or Young's version of this won't be enough.

Comment

That could be why I am uncomfortable with it Cheers!!! Green for you.
                Heyy, yay for green!

One I really really want explored now.
                I think it's very worthy of exploration, as well. Right nw, Rush and Young are jut two alpha males butting heads and disagreeing on who's in charge. (IIRC even Earth can't decide) Wray being clearly set above them would actually allow them to operate, despite their friction.

Comment

I guess you've never heard of being alone in a room full of people have you? Everyone on that ship, in way way or another is lonely. Slowly, some of them are pulling together so they have people to depend on... it's what happens.
                  In reality that happens, but she must have had some time alone, all I'm saying if it had been included it would have been more clear, and I wouldn't have found Chloe to be so bland. I want to like her, she's a young woman, a recent graduate of a University, wanting to find herself, I should be able to relate to her but I can't, not yet at least.

It's McKay with a Kay with a k, ok?
                  Eww, I hate that I did that...TWICE...oopsies...and sorries...

You seem to be assuming what the writers expect us to feel - rather then just 'feeling' what you do. I think Rush is meant to be sympathetic. I don't think he is just meant to be a selfish scientist. And I do think that Young is meant to be considered somewhat... unhinged. There is nothing in the writing to suggest otherwise.
                  Sorry, I thought it was obvious that these are all my opinions, I didn't think that I have to repeatedly say over an over again that "I feel the writers are" or whatever. Having said that, I have read the same sentiment from other people in other forums, other threads, so I'm not the only one so I guess I'm not totally insane to think that. And, I do hope I'm wrong, I want the writers to pleasantly surprise me, it's why I'm sticking to the show.

Yes, but clearly you aren't Chloe... and clearly you aren't female either. Women can have a tendency (there are many exceptions I know) to believe in this quite a lot. You don't date your friends ex.
                  Have you ever heard of the bro's code, or whatever that is? It's generally considered a bad thing by males and females. Having said that, I agree with Saquist to a degree, I'd need to know more before I condemn people I care about. Again, that's me.

I do think Scott is probably the best Officer on board (minus the sex thing, but given we don't know he was on duty either time... I don't know how much it counts). And there is a part of me that thinks Young was a great officer.... but he is unraveling . Whether or not that's because of his injury, or being lost from home I dunno.
                  It's hard for me to think of an officer who sleeps with another officer "below" him as a good officer (regarding Young and Scott). Just protocol and all that.

but you know it's interesting to see these "liberal" people that name call labels like homophobic which is only really prejudice against someone else values, fall right in line when social conditions stay exactly as they have for the last 2000 years.
                  What does that have to do with anything? Why the attack on liberals? What?

Telford was right to stick Greer in a brig, striking a superior officer is a court-martial offense
                  Right, so Young should have left him in the closet when they were attacked and the world was about to explode? And seriously, how are they going to court martial Greer while he's billions of light years away from home?

Guy here who says he was an E-7 before he retired in the navy, says that General Hammond is the only one that really acted like he was in the service. He barked, talked down if you got out of line but had a personality but first and foremost this character followed orders. (I note the first episode of SG-1)
                  This is a television franchise, about Stargates and Asgards, and Ancients and Wraiths and Sandaliens, I don't expect too much reality. Plus, would it really be interesting to watch characters who always followed orders?

What I am saying is, that the SGC doesn't have any control over them out there. What they have is a superficial link, nothing more or less. A link that can easily be perminately severed.
                  Agreed. My biggest problem with Telford, and many individuals on Earth is that they seem to be incapable of understanding that, when I find it so simple to grasp.

Indeed. Assuming Greer can work on his anger problems, and Young can pull himself back together and act like a reasonable officer, I can see how they managed to get to their position. It's the mass of unnamed that I worry about, more. They've had moments that made me go :/
                  Greer actually keeps his anger in check. He responds with violence but he controls his emotions, if not he could do a lot more damage than possible. I don't know if the writers will explore this with Greer, but I think there are many signs that he's far more experienced as a soldier than Scott, although so far Greer hasn't taken issue with having to follow Scott's orders due to Scott's inexperience, it would be interesting for them to explore that. Greer being beneath Scott in terms of rank, but above Scott due to experience, it probably would trigger interesting motivational questions, especially when the outranking officer, makes dumb decisions due to his inexperience. Which according to my (limited) research, is a good (and common) trait for a marine.

They could still put someone else in command...even courtmartial Young and put Scott Greer or James in command...the point is they don't tolerate insubordination.
                  And how could they enforce anything? Scott, TJ, James and Greer all seem loyal to Young. They could issue orders, but without having the ability to enforce it, what kind of control do hey actually have?

The one person I am worried about is Spencer. I wonder what he is up too, and what his problem is.
                  I am too. And it slightly bothers me, that more people aren't worried. Yes we had one scene in which TJ expressed her concern to Young, but why aren't more people worried. I assume they all know Spencer, I assume that some of these people were on friendly terms with him, why aren't they more concerned that he's constantly eating alone, that he's edgy?

(especially after the Telford incident).
                  Is that a court martial-able offense? I'm confused as to how the military would deal with a situation like this between two equal ranking officers, would it just be dealt as if two men were fighting? I guess they could court martial Young for impersonating another individual, but again, what can they actually do about it?

I think they do, otherwise Jack wouldn't be a 3 star General.
                  Exactly. This is the Stargate reality, not our reality. :-D

I don't think they were all intended to go through the gate... Then again, I could be wrong there.
                  They weren't part of the expedition crew, that's why we keep hearing they're the wrong people.

Fans are already complaining their is to much character development. Think what would happen if you added more?
                  That's funny, because I would say that about 5 of the 9 primary cast members have gotten the majority of the attention, while the remaining primary cast members seem like they are on part with the secondary cast. I wish the writers would balance this more.

I don't know who James is, but Earth clearly illustrates that, as things stand, Greer would defy any order relieving Young of Command. Scott would obey the order, but would look for any loopholes he could.
                  I think Scott would only obey the order for as long as a superior officer was on board to enforce it. I don't understand why people see Scott as such a model officer, a perfect, model officer, who always follows orders, wouldn't sleep with an officer, of lower rank, who is under his command. 2nd Lt. James is the woman Scott was boinking in the closet when we first met Scott.

Comment

It's hard for me to think of an officer who sleeps with another officer "below" him as a good officer (regarding Young and Scott). Just protocol and all that.
                    Good point. I forgot about that part.

Is that a court martial-able offense? I'm confused as to how the military would deal with a situation like this between two equal ranking officers, would it just be dealt as if two men were fighting? I guess they could court martial Young for impersonating another individual, but again, what can they actually do about it?
                    Officially, Telford is his superior, even though they're of equal rank. They would have to prove that Telford was impersonating someone, which Telford and Young's wife both would deny.

I think Scott would only obey the order for as long as a superior officer was on board to enforce it. I don't understand why people see Scott as such a model officer, a perfect, model officer, who always follows orders, wouldn't sleep with an officer, of lower rank, who is under his command. 2nd Lt. James is the woman Scott was boinking in the closet when we first met Scott.
                    Okay, let me rephrase, then. Scott would do whatever it took to make sure he didn't get in trouble. Anything he felt wouldn't get reported, he probably wouldn't.

Comment

You're right I'm definitely not Chloe but you know it's interesting to see these "liberal" people that name call labels like homophobic which is only really prejudice against someone else values, fall right in line when social conditions stay exactly as they have for the last 2000 years.

So yeah, it's not me. Not everyone is meant to move forward.
                      1. When you get carried away, you get incoherent.
                      2. This is totally the wrong place for you to preach your political and religious beliefs.
                      3. I'd edit this post if I were you...
                      sigpic

Comment

Officially, Telford is his superior, even though they're of equal rank.
                        How do we know that? I thought on Icarus at least, Young was his superior. Young was in command of the base, and Telford was supposed to be in command of the expedition that never went through to the 9th Chevron destination (Destiny).

Comment

How do we know that? I thought on Icarus at least, Young was his superior. Young was in command of the base, and Telford was supposed to be in command of the expedition that never went through to the 9th Chevron destination (Destiny).
                          IIRC in Earth, they assigned Telford as the official leader of the expedition. Effectively, Young is acting leader. Thus, Telford is his superior (since he was using the stones, and thus was exercising a part ofthe exped anyway)

Comment

IIRC in Earth, they assigned Telford as the official leader of the expedition. Effectively, Young is acting leader. Thus, Telford is his superior (since he was using the stones, and thus was exercising a part ofthe exped anyway)
                            I still don't really understand since Young was in command of the base. Thanks for answering though!

Comment

I still don't really understand since Young was in command of the base. Thanks for answering though!
                              NP. If I understand correctly, they felt he was unfit to lead the expedition.

Comment

NP. If I understand correctly, they felt he was unfit to lead the expedition.
                                I remember that Young was Jack's first choice to lead the expedition, but Young didn't want to. Then they gave Telford command because Young refused to follow "orders" which Jack followed grudgingly. Then I assume after it seemed the test in Earth backfired, command was given back to Young by the end of Earth for several reasons. So Telford is no longer in charge of the expedition. So I'd assume Telford and Young are equals at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X