This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    In comparison, SGA didn't really pick up for me until the mid-season 2 parter. SG1 fared better though; I found the first big splash to be The First Commandment.
    This.

I had myriad complaints about SGA until The Storm, etc. I would sit there and shout at Teyla, 'Tie your hair back!' and then was Dr Weird. Were it not for Sheppard, I'd have given it up.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
      You know what, pal, way way way too much information.
      Couldn't agree with you more.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      The point is the hypocrisy.
      Even though it's the EX-boyfriend I still have to point out the peculiar behavioral rules that some abide to about not dating a friends ex...
      So, it had nothing to do with the clearly inaccurate comment that Chloe is sleeping around? Good, glad we got that sorted.

This is so made for the teenage world. You know I watched it this and assumed that someone was that worked up about something it had to be because someone cheated on them....Instead it's begrudging someone else's happiness?

It's very selfish.
      You don't date a friends ex. It's cheap and it's tacky.

I don't like Chloe. I don't hate her. Like many of the characters she seems immature. I could take every chance to point out an error but I haven't Chloe really isn't really worth the time. She's emotional and she needs comfort from men. I look forward like many others of her finding something more useful to do. I don't really like most of the characters.
      No one is trying to do what's right on this show if they do it seems to happen by chance.
      She's young, she's human and she makes mistakes. She doesn't need to comfort of men, she needs to have friendship. She, like everyone on board needs company. It's a lonely place, made even more lonelier by knowing they aren't getting home any time soon.

As for what's 'right' - it depends on what you consider 'right'. They are human, so they aren't going to be perfect. They aren't going to be the larger then life heroes we are used to from the previous series' (thank god). They are gonna be human.

This.

I had myriad complaints about SGA until The Storm, etc. I would sit there and shout at Teyla, 'Tie your hair back!' and then was Dr Weird. Were it not for Sheppard, I'd have given it up.
      LOL, I so get what you mean. But, for me it was McKay. I have an unnatural love for the awkward geek.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

You don't date a friends ex. It's cheap and it's tacky.
        That's not always true. It depends on the scenario, situation, and the individuals involved. Chloe's friend indicated she'd been trying to contact Chloe, perhaps if she had been able to talk to Chloe, she may have had a different perspective.

She's young, she's human and she makes mistakes. She doesn't need to comfort of men, she needs to have friendship. She, like everyone on board needs company. It's a lonely place, made even more lonelier by knowing they aren't getting home any time soon.

As for what's 'right' - it depends on what you consider 'right'. They are human, so they aren't going to be perfect. They aren't going to be the larger then life heroes we are used to from the previous series' (thank god). They are gonna be human.
        I don't expect her to perfect, I don't like perfect characters. But it's very hard for me to find anything to like about her. I find her clingy and a little bit selfish, which I wouldn't even mind, except I get the feeling that the writers don't want us to see her that way, so that makes me dislike her. And I'm tired of people saying she's young, as if that's an excuse. I don't know very many girls who are 23, and who are graduates of awesome Universities who are as clingy as she is. I do know a lot of 16 year old who would fit her description though.

But anyway, I disagree that all we've been getting are "noisey crickets". It's only been 9 episodes, and IMHO we've already had some brilliant, big episodes like Air III, Light, and Time. I'm not sure how much bigger things can go at this point in the series. They've had the big off-world episode; they've had the big shoot out; they've had the big "ship is going to be destroyed!!" episode; and these aren't even the moderate-sized guns?
        I agree with this to a degree. But I would say the reason I'm disappointed with SGU at this point isn't because of the episodes, but because out of 9 primary characters, it's continuously focused on the same people. Greer, TJ and until recently Wray aren't given the same amount of time as Young, Scott, Chloe and Eli (maybe if I saw less of Chloe, she wouldn't get on my nerves so much). And while Rush is given screen-time, he's not given much development. I wish they'd balance time and development among the primary characters, and donate more time on the ship, they should be on the ship longer than on Earth, and I think in many episodes the opposite is true.

But, for me it was McKay. I have an unnatural love for the awkward geek.
        Me too. McCay and Beckett. I know all the reason not to love McCay, but...I love him for those reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
          That's not always true. It depends on the scenario, situation, and the individuals involved. Chloe's friend indicated she'd been trying to contact Chloe, perhaps if she had been able to talk to Chloe, she may have had a different perspective.
          Sorry, it is always true. And really, I suspect it's true that her boyfriend cheated on her with her friend.

I don't expect her to perfect, I don't like perfect characters. But it's very hard for me to find anything to like about her. I find her clingy and a little bit selfish, which I wouldn't even mind, except I get the feeling that the writers don't want us to see her that way, so that makes me dislike her.
          I don't think she is clingy. I think she is human and a little bit lonely. That being said she isn't like a lost puppy clingy to everybody and everything. Furthermore, I don't know when or how she has ever been selfish. People say that all the time, but I haven't seen it.

Me too. McCay and Beckett. I know all the reason not to love McCay, but...I love him for those reasons.
          I agree.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Sorry, it is always true. And really, I suspect it's true that her boyfriend cheated on her with her friend.
            I don't think it's always true. I've seen many instances in which it occurred and all parties were totally fine with it. And I do think the writers will go in that direction, that the boyfriend cheated on Chloe, it'll continue the "Chloe is the damsel in distress victim" theme they seem to have, and it would be the easy thing to do to make Chloe in the right. But it would be far more interesting if the BFF and the ex-BF bonded over their inability to reach Chloe for however long it had been (6 weeks or so). The 2 of them connecting because they miss Chloe, are worried about her, and because they don't know what actually happened, because they feel neglected by her. (Those are the types of stories I'd expect/want from SGU)...

For me to see her as lonely, I'd have to see her alone and crying every once in a while, I haven't seen that. Maybe it's true, maybe she is lonely, but personally I do not think the writers, editors nor the actor are doing a great job to convey that.

Comment

I've checked, you're a girl. So it's rather hard for you to imagine yourself in Telford's place, or if they would "have any interest". But calling Young petty, for assuming Telford's having ulterior motives is, dunno, what. Biased? Even if we know that what Telford did was worse then just boinking the wife, he was fabricating lies about Young and TJ. And that's grand, and sex is petty.
              Don't assume to know what I'm capable of imagining. We don't know exactly what Telford said. All we know is what Young's wife picked up from what Telford said. Whatever he said could very well have been what he thought was the truth. Telford, iirc is an Air Force Colonel. He's in decent shape, and not hideous. With the exception of Young, and perhaps other random Destiny crewmembers, I haven't seen anyone overly dislike him. It is completely implausable that he would have difficulty finding a sexual partner, should he want one. Therefore, the only reason he would choose to pursue Young's wife (who is not in any way exceptional looking, and who is already involved, thus less available for wooing) would be as a petty strike at Young for the events of Earth. Thus, Young assuming Telford is petty.

Also, I really don't care about what the networks think; I only care about how I feel and so far I'm loving it. They're taking their time and the pace for me is perfect.
              I do care. Because if the network gets bad reviews, or the ratings aren't shiny enough for it, they'll kill it. While, currently, I won't weep for the loss of SGU, I worry that another Stargate cancelling will just have the Enterprise effect, and we'll have no more Stargate at all. But that's a bit OT from Life.

Comment

The 2 of them connecting because they miss Chloe, are worried about her, and because they don't know what actually happened, because they feel neglected by her. (Those are the types of stories I'd expect/want from SGU)...
                So we are meant to care why it happened? Seriously, Chloe had just found out that at least one of her friends were with her because of the power her father had... her other friend and boyfriend acted in a way that points to the same.

And really, in the end, I don't need to see her friends position on SGU at all. I really think all that scene proved is that apart from her mother, she has no reason to come home.

For me to see her as lonely, I'd have to see her alone and crying every once in a while, I haven't seen that. Maybe it's true, maybe she is lonely, but personally I do not think the writers, editors nor the actor are doing a great job to convey that.
                Lonely people don't cry all the time. And hell, if she did that she'd just be considered a needy, whinging, clingy and selfish little cry baby. Mind you, I'm still waiting to find out why she is considered selfish...

Comment

I don't expect her to perfect, I don't like perfect characters. But it's very hard for me to find anything to like about her. I find her clingy and a little bit selfish, which I wouldn't even mind, except I get the feeling that the writers don't want us to see her that way, so that makes me dislike her. And I'm tired of people saying she's young, as if that's an excuse. I don't know very many girls who are 23, and who are graduates of awesome Universities who are as clingy as she is. I do know a lot of 16 year old who would fit her description though.
                  <shallow moment> I'm sure I'd like her better if she did her hair differently. </shallow moment>

I think she's been a spoilt little Daddy's girl and now that she's been dumped in the deep end, she's coping as best she can.

I agree with this to a degree. But I would say the reason I'm disappointed with SGU at this point isn't because of the episodes, but because out of 9 primary characters, it's continuously focused on the same people. Greer, TJ and until recently Wray aren't given the same amount of time as Young, Scott, Chloe and Eli (maybe if I saw less of Chloe, she wouldn't get on my nerves so much). And while Rush is given screen-time, he's not given much development. I wish they'd balance time and development among the primary characters, and donate more time on the ship, they should be on the ship longer than on Earth, and I think in many episodes the opposite is true.
                  This is the problem with episodes that are character-centric, as I've said before. Each has to have a 'turn' at development. What I liked about Time, for instance, was that we learnt snippets about characters just in general conversation. Same as in Life. Rush, I think, you can learn far more about if you observe him rather than listen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Yusagi View Post
                    I do care. Because if the network gets bad reviews, or the ratings aren't shiny enough for it, they'll kill it. While, currently, I won't weep for the loss of SGU, I worry that another Stargate cancelling will just have the Enterprise effect, and we'll have no more Stargate at all. But that's a bit OT from Life.
                    But there's nothing we can do about that; right now the most important thing is that we enjoy it; and I do.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      But there's nothing we can do about that; right now the most important thing is that we enjoy it; and I do.
                      Same here. I have enough faith in TPTB that they know where they are taking this show. They didn't let me down with SG-1 or Atlantis, so I don't see them starting now with SGU.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think she's been a spoilt little Daddy's girl and now that she's been dumped in the deep end, she's coping as best she can.
                        I too think she has been spoilt... I'm just glad she doesn't come across as the spoilt rich kid that is above getting her hands dirty or anything like that.

Comment

It is completely implausable that he would have difficulty finding a sexual partner, should he want one.
                          Improbable maybe, completely implausible? Not necessarily.

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                          So we are meant to care why it happened? Seriously, Chloe had just found out that at least one of her friends were with her because of the power her father had... her other friend and boyfriend acted in a way that points to the same.

And really, in the end, I don't need to see her friends position on SGU at all. I really think all that scene proved is that apart from her mother, she has no reason to come home.
                          No I don't care about what happened between them, BUT I do think she seemed way to self-involved to find out what happened before judging. She had every right to be angry, but IMO a real friend (especially a friend who is apparently lonely) would find out the actual scenario before jumping to conclusions. I would also think, that considering this may be the last time she'll see her friends, and because she feels lonely, she'd want to find a reason to not hate her friend, and for that reason alone, she'd want to find out her friend's side of the story.

Lonely people don't cry all the time. And hell, if she did that she'd just be considered a needy, whinging, clingy and selfish little cry baby. Mind you, I'm still waiting to find out why she is considered selfish..
                          You're right, she doesn't need to cry, there are other ways to convey loneliness. But for me to see her as a lonely individual I need to see her alone, in an emotional scene, which I don't recall seeing. And I didn't know that I had to answer your non-question about her being selfish, but I'll explain the main reason I thought so. In Dark, when she's in the "shower" and the lights go out, her need for Eli to be there. I am slightly sympathetic to her, because it's a horrible situation, but I did find it selfish that when something bigger and more important than her was going on she basically demanded "Math-boy's" attention. All this might be because she's a spoiled, rich Daddy's girl as EllieVee said, but it doesn't feel like that's what the writers want us to see, based on editing, dialogue, acting...

Rush, I think, you can learn far more about if you observe him rather than listen to him.
                          I agree, I think that's also true for Greer as well as many of the secondary characters (props to the majority of the actors) but I do think that's Carlyle plays Rush in a much more positive/sympathetic light than the writers seem to have intended. So while the writers want Rush to look as nothing more than the selfish scientist, and Young as the flawed hero, Rush often looks like the man who made one selfish decision, but many more fair decisions, and Young looks like a paranoid man.

You know, maybe I should be happy that not all characters are focussed on so much, because overall those are the characters I seem to enjoy. It's just sad though, that the characters I enjoy aren't on as much.

I'm just glad she doesn't come across as the spoilt rich kid that is above getting her hands dirty or anything like that.
                          As much as I dislike Chloe (or more accurately am bored by Chloe), I can agree with that, that is one thing I can appreciate about the character.

Comment

I got that from her character in the very first episode. She seemed very much like her father in her resolve, her standing up to Rush, her being as strong as she could be for herself and her mother following her father's death, the way she faced death in 'Light'... Then she started going down hill. Maybe it was Scott. Maybe it was Eli, her BFF, maybe it was seeing her vapid friends and former life. I want that strong young woman from the first episode back.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              I got that from her character in the very first episode. She seemed very much like her father in her resolve, her standing up to Rush, her being as strong as she could be for herself and her mother following her father's death, the way she faced death in 'Light'... Then she started going down hill. Maybe it was Scott. Maybe it was Eli, her BFF, maybe it was seeing her vapid friends and former life. I want that strong young woman from the first episode back.
                              I didn't dislike her as much in Air1/2...so maybe you're right...or maybe, she's just overexposed?
                              Last edited by natyanayaki; 29 November 2009, 07:48 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Comment

She has the makings of a potential leader, I think. She certainly has the history... though being daughter/assistant of the Gov. of California is a bit iffy on the 'leader' scale.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X