Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Rush really do what Young thinks he did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    Mmm. Well, it's pretty simple to me. Sometimes, there IS a spoon.
    Sure, and most of us have stated something to the effect of conspiracy theories are wild speculation. We are snatching at clues just to imagine what the answers might be if there isn't a spoon. So far, the evidence says there is one, like you say. But I always like to try to figure out all possibilities for shows like this, where the writers seem to want to pull the rug out from under you once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      Mmm. Well, it's pretty simple to me. Sometimes, there IS a spoon.

Well my point and opinion is that if they take the simple route, I'll be disappointed. Why hide the footage from the audience if they're going to make it so predictable. I mean, I didn't read any spoilers for the episode, and I found it so predictable. I would like more. Plus with such a long hiatus, it gives us something to discuss.

Originally posted by Daro View Post
      Sure, and most of us have stated something to the effect of conspiracy theories are wild speculation. We are snatching at clues just to imagine what the answers might be if there isn't a spoon. So far, the evidence says there is one, like you say. But I always like to try to figure out all possibilities for shows like this, where the writers seem to want to pull the rug out from under you once in a while.
      THIS.

Comment

Did you mean to say that so far there is not one?

Do you really think there is a conspiracy or are you having fun speculating?

If yes why?

IMO there is no evidence to indicate everything isn't exactly as it appears on the surface. Again imo, the show is going to have enough tension for drama when Rush reappears and they face each other without adding a conspiracy to the fray.

Once Rush returns it will be interesting to see where Eli’s loyalties end up. I would expect that Eli sided with Young after he found out that Rush tried to frame him but now that he suspects that Young left Rush to die and tried to cover it up he may have a real problem with him. Given Eli’s extreme intelligence who he sides with Rush or Young will have a huge effect on the balance of power. Rush and Eli are highly respected. The other scientists look up to them. If they sided against or chose to be less cooperative to Young it could really undermine his mandate to command. He would still have the military supporting him but without the scientists’ support they would be in trouble. It will be interesting to see if the show develops along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
          Did you mean to say that so far there is not one?

Do you really think there is a conspiracy or are you having fun speculating?

If yes why?

IMO there is no evidence to indicate everything isn't exactly as it appears on the surface. Again imo, the show is going to have enough tension for drama when Rush reappears and they face each other without adding a conspiracy to the fray.

Once Rush returns it will be interesting to see where Eli’s loyalties end up. I would expect that Eli sided with Young after he found out that Rush tried to frame him but now that he suspects that Young left Rush to die and tried to cover it up he may have a real problem with him. Given Eli’s extreme intelligence who he sides with Rush or Young will have a huge effect on the balance of power. Rush and Eli are highly respected. The other scientists look up to them. If they sided against or chose to be less cooperative to Young it could really undermine his mandate to command. He would still have the military supporting him but without the scientists’ support they would be in trouble. It will be interesting to see if the show develops along those lines.
          I mean to say that I think there are things that might indicate alternatives to what we're lead to believe at first glance. I have nothing that makes me able to say that I have a unified alternate theory that I believe is what's really going on. I have enough to argue for the possibilities there could be. I disagree that the plot doesn't have room for a bit of misdirection.

And yes, I enjoy speculation immensely for the sheer creative exercise of it.

I agree with your assessment of the importance of Eli. He's....almost like a mascot, in a way. Everyone likes him. He helps keep other characters going.

It was once suggested in the show that Wray form a 'third camp', throwing her loyalty behind neither Rush or Young. Wouldn't it be awesome if Eli ended up forming the third camp? I bet if he developed more leadership qualities and opinions of his own, he'd be an even better force for uniting the crew. A sort of diplomat, so to speak. Able to see both Young and Rush for their flaws, and to perhaps, someday, reason with both of them.

Comment

The only thing that is strange is why would Rush go into Spencer's room in the first place.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              The only thing that is strange is why would Rush go into Spencer's room in the first place.
              because he heard the gunshot
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                Rush said he heard a gunshot and went to investigate.

Comment

I mean to say that I think there are things that might indicate alternatives to what we're lead to believe at first glance. I have nothing that makes me able to say that I have a unified alternate theory that I believe is what's really going on. I have enough to argue for the possibilities there could be. I disagree that the plot doesn't have room for a bit of misdirection.

And yes, I enjoy speculation immensely for the sheer creative exercise of it.

I agree with your assessment of the importance of Eli. He's....almost like a mascot, in a way. Everyone likes him. He helps keep other characters going.

It was once suggested in the show that Wray form a 'third camp', throwing her loyalty behind neither Rush or Young. Wouldn't it be awesome if Eli ended up forming the third camp? I bet if he developed more leadership qualities and opinions of his own, he'd be an even better force for uniting the crew. A sort of diplomat, so to speak. Able to see both Young and Rush for their flaws, and to perhaps, someday, reason with both of them.
                  I think his importance to Destiny will be much more than as a mascot.

Eli has been billed by the MGM SGU website as:

“A technology wunderkid with an inability to apply himself, Eli spends most of his time playing on his computer. He catches the attention of the Icarus program after solving an embedded code in a particular video game. Eli finds himself beamed aboard a spaceship, recruited to solve the 9th Chevron power dilemma. A sarcastic pop culture nerd, he immediately connects with Chloe Armstrong, the beautiful political aide. His genius is a valuable commodity once stranded aboard the Destiny and leads him to being pulled between the many camps and players on the ship. While torn with leaving his single mother behind, he realizes that he may be part of the most important discovery mankind has ever made.”

The Wikipedia SGU website said about his character:

"David Blue as Eli Wallace– Named Eli Hitchcock in the casting call, Eli Wallace is a "total slacker" in his early twenties and an "utter genius" in mathematics, computers and other fields. He is a social outcast with an "acerbic sense of humor", and lacks confidence in his intelligence. The character breakdown compares him to "Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in" He will be the main source of comic relief in the show David Blue, a self-declared fan of the science fiction series, has seen all SG-1 and Atlantis episodes."

Eli lacks confidence in his intellectual abilities. I think as he grows and takes on more responsibilities he will start to make contributions that may start to rival Rush’s. He obviously won’t have the depth of knowledge that Rush has but imo he may make isolated highly insightful and valuable leaps that will lead to very important discoveries and difficult problems solved; very much in the manner he did before when he solved the imbedded game problem that Rush and others were unable to do.

We will have to wait and see what the writers have in store for us... If there is a conspiracy involving the whole Rush/Young frame up/marooning, it will be interesting to see if you guess right about what it is?
                  Last edited by Blackhole; 15 December 2009, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I think his importance to Destiny will be much more than as a mascot. Eli has been billed by the MGM SGU website as:

“A technology wunderkid with an inability to apply himself, Eli spends most of his time playing on his computer. He catches the attention of the Icarus program after solving an embedded code in a particular video game. Eli finds himself beamed aboard a spaceship, recruited to solve the 9th Chevron power dilemma. A sarcastic pop culture nerd, he immediately connects with Chloe Armstrong, the beautiful political aide. His genius is a valuable commodity once stranded aboard the Destiny and leads him to being pulled between the many camps and players on the ship. While torn with leaving his single mother behind, he realizes that he may be part of the most important discovery mankind has ever made.”

Eli lacks confidence in his intellectual abilities. I think as he grows and takes on more responsibilities he will start to make contributions that may start to rival Rush’s. He obviously won’t have the depth of knowledge that Rush has but imo he may make isolated highly insightful and valuable leaps that will lead to important discoveries and difficult problems solved; very much in the manner he did before when he solved the imbedded game problem that Rush and others were unable to do.

We will have to wait and see what the writers have in store for us... If there is a conspiracy involving the whole Rush/Young frame up/marooning, it will be interesting to see if you guess right?
                    Eli indeed is a natural genius. He is, I think, as vital to the survival of the crew as Rush. And Rush, for all his vast knowledge and his workaholic tendencies, hasn't been trained for all of this. SGU being a different situation than has been faced before, Rush and Eli are almost on equal footing.

Comment

Eli indeed is a natural genius. He is, I think, as vital to the survival of the crew as Rush. And Rush, for all his vast knowledge and his workaholic tendencies, hasn't been trained for all of this. SGU being a different situation than has been faced before, Rush and Eli are almost on equal footing.
                      I agree with you completely.

I have really grown to enjoy this show. I feel sorry for all the fans of the Stargate franchise that couldn’t get past how different SGU is from SG-1 and SGA and abandoned it prematurely. If they had given it a chance to develop I think many would have been as pleasantly surprised as I have been.

I am not sure how good the ratings have been; hopefully high enough to garner it a second season.

Comment

I agree with you completely.

I have really grown to enjoy this show. I feel sorry for all the fans of the Stargate franchise that couldn’t get past how different SGU is from SG-1 and SGA and abandoned it prematurely. If they had given it a chance to develop I think many would have been as pleasantly surprised as I have been.

I am not sure how good the ratings have been; hopefully high enough to garner it a second season.
                        S2 has always been greenlit by MGM and SyFy
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          S2 has always been greenlit by MGM and SyFy
                          Thanks I didn't know that; it is great news! Do you know how the ratings have been compared to SGA at the same point in its first season?

Comment

Thanks I didn't know that; it is great news! Do you know how the ratings have been compared to SGA at the same point in its first season?
                            considerably lower then SGA's first season. But a lot of things have changed in 5 years. Kind of like I have this dollar. Its value has changed since 2004.
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I believe that NBC actually does consider online ratings (Hulu, for example) unlike many other networks and their branches, so I'm not sure if the ratings of the 2 series are comparable, since SGA hadn't been legally posted online back then.

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
                                I believe that NBC actually does consider online ratings (Hulu, for example) unlike many other networks and their branches, so I'm not sure if the ratings of the 2 series are comparable, since SGA hadn't been legally posted online back then.
                                That is very interesting I didn't know that. I assume the SyFy Channel is a subsidiary of NBC?

Comment

Working...
                                X