Now that is one sweet potato!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
    Who else thinks that scene was a bit racist? It looked like they were experimenting on the black guy Greer. You had this black guy being asked to eat this alien vegetable while all these white scientists surrounded him and observed his reaction.
    I think for that scene to be racist, Greer would have had to been tied up and whipped for not eating the forced fed food into his mouth.

You really thought that was racist? The guy.. willingly.. ate it.. and got them to realize that food is food.

Comment

Originally posted by UniGater View Post
      I think for that scene to be racist, Greer would have had to been tied up and whipped for not eating the forced fed food into his mouth.

You really thought that was racist? The guy.. willingly.. ate it.. and got them to realize that food is food.
      Yes he kind of turned the tables on them Actually its a subtle kind of racism. The fact that he volunteered is actually a part of it. It makes him look stupid. And then again maybe its expected of a soldier to take risks with his life. Courageous or stupid

Comment

Yes he kind of turned the tables on them Actually its a subtle kind of racism. The fact that he volunteered is actually a part of it. It makes him look stupid. And then again maybe its expected of a soldier to take risks with his life. Courageous or stupid
        It was clearly established that he wasn't risking his life, just his taste buds. Since everyone's sense of taste is different, Greer and all those guys could hate it but, say, Volker or Wray, could love it.

I don't see how it makes Greer stupid. Maybe he just trusts Eli enough to believe him when he says it's safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
          Man, if it would taste like onions or/and cheese, that would be the only things i would eat!
          Fried onions on molten cheese...
          I had the same reaction! YUM!

Who else thinks that scene was a bit racist? It looked like they were experimenting on the black guy Greer. You had this black guy being asked to eat this alien vegetable while all these white scientists surrounded him and observed his reaction.
          I think as the "Top" it's kinda in his job description. Like he's the one whose supposed to take the risks etc to motivate the crew by example. And also because of his position, he would be the first one to take one for the crew. I know nothing of the military, but that just makes sense to me. Does that make sense to anyone with military knowledge/experience. It also fits well with his established character traits I think, his willingness to put the people on the Destiny above himself.

Comment

If you're joking then I'm laughing at a good joke. If you're not joking then I shouldn't say what I think of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
              Dammit, I'm gonna have to make perogies now!
              Save me some. I love perogies.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                Save me some. I love perogies.
                I've never heard of a perogie

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                  Pierogies are one of my favorite Polish foods ever. So delicious.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    Pierogies are one of my favorite Polish foods ever. So delicious.
                    You know, one of them are called "ruskie pierogi", which means russian pieroges, technically those wouldnt be polish
                    Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

I used to think they were a type of Ravioli...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                        ooo-rah!

yeah, greer is one BAMF'ing Marine. and i would very much like to see him since he's an NCO to do some "master seargent'ing" on SGU

it's one thing that SG1 and SGA never did, and one thing i thought they should do: engage the enlisted personnel more

i found it particularly interesting that most of the offworld teams consisted solely or mostly of officers. instead of 1 officer and the rest enlisted.
                        You just saw Greer Master Sergeanting. Tasteing the food and telling the cook to fix it up. Writting the duty schedule and tracking down the dead Sergeant Sheppard who was tought to be AWOL. Col Young or Comissioner Wray may be in command but Master Sergeant Greer is in charge.

Perhaps bbecause of whatever happened with Col Telford, First Sergeant Greer became Master Sergeant Greer? It is the same paygrade but Master Sergeants have a different role, First Sergeants serve the troops as Greer is shown on the show. What you are looking for whould be First Sergeanting, not Master Sergeanting in my opinion.

The Gate teams are mostly officers because we have seen mostly SG-1. A small team of scientist with a commander and native guide/soldier. Enlisted normally don't have the formal educational background to perform the scientist role where Captain Carter did. Also the command is USAF dominated which has a history of having its officers take most of the risk. Even where education is not needed as with the pilot corp. So more officers are being sent to the enlisted combat arms, the PJs, and Combat Controllers were once so heavily NCO it was sepeculated exactly what kind of special forces was Col O'Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiko View Post
                          You just saw Greer Master Sergeanting. Tasteing the food and telling the cook to fix it up. Writting the duty schedule and tracking down the dead Sergeant Sheppard who was tought to be AWOL. Col Young or Comissioner Wray may be in command but Master Sergeant Greer is in charge.

Perhaps bbecause of whatever happened with Col Telford, First Sergeant Greer became Master Sergeant Greer? It is the same paygrade but Master Sergeants have a different role, First Sergeants serve the troops as Greer is shown on the show. What you are looking for whould be First Sergeanting, not Master Sergeanting in my opinion.

The Gate teams are mostly officers because we have seen mostly SG-1. A small team of scientist with a commander and native guide/soldier. Enlisted normally don't have the formal educational background to perform the scientist role where Captain Carter did. Also the command is USAF dominated which has a history of having its officers take most of the risk. Even where education is not needed as with the pilot corp. So more officers are being sent to the enlisted combat arms, the PJs, and Combat Controllers were once so heavily NCO it was sepeculated exactly what kind of special forces was Col O'Neil.
                          yes, we've seen some MS'ing... i'd like to see more as the series goes on
                          also, a MS would never be bumped to a FS.... nor would an FS be bumped to an MS they are the same rank.
                          if an E-8 were to get bumped due to conduct, it would be down one grade to E-7, aka, Gunnery Sergeant. a Master Sergeant and a First Sergeant are on 2 different career paths at that point and are not entirely interchangeable....

at least i think that's how i remember it from ROTC days
                          Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                          Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                          Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                          Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                            if an E-8 were to get bumped due to conduct, it would be down one grade to E-7, aka, Gunnery Sergeant. a Master Sergeant and a First Sergeant are on 2 different career paths at that point and are not entirely interchangeable...
                            AFAIK from my current research, a First Sergeant actually is primarily used for NCO's that are working on college credits to become officer promotable nowadays. I could be wrong, I will try to get a chance to reread some literature today.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                              AFAIK from my current research, a First Sergeant actually is primarily used for NCO's that are working on college credits to become officer promotable nowadays. I could be wrong, I will try to get a chance to reread some literature today.
                              I think you are way off there. A First Sergeant is an E8 who is the "Top" enlistedman in the company. A Master Sergeant is an E8 in other duties, say like the operations sergeant on the brigade staff. Now the enlisted advisor to a ROTC unit, the "Top" enlistedman might just be a First Sergeant. I've only seen Staff Sergeants and Sergeants First Class in that role though.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiko View Post
                                I think you are way off there. A First Sergeant is an E8 who is the "Top" enlistedman in the company. A Master Sergeant is an E8 in other duties, say like the operations sergeant on the brigade staff. Now the enlisted advisor to a ROTC unit, the "Top" enlistedman might just be a First Sergeant. I've only seen Staff Sergeants and Sergeants First Class in that role though.
                                i know the FS's will promote to Sergeant Majors, and they're the guys in charge of the troops

whereas the MS's will promote to Master Gunnery Sergeants and are more typically billeted for staff/advisory/administrative roles...
                                Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                                Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                                Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                                Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X