Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else feel kinda bad for Spencer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect it's because Spencer himself would deny he needed any help. I've been listening to news articles over the past couple of years about the problems admitting and getting mental health help in the military. Spencer was someone, IMHO, who would be loathe to ask for help if he was lying on the ground with his legs blown off. He'd be doing the whole, "It's a flesh wound!" kinda thing.

I think after Spencer pushed Franklin that Young could've said he shouldn't get a weapon, but maybe he just thought Spencer was blowing off steam? Any of the people I've peripherally known who've committed suicide it came as a surprise to their families and friends, even when they've known they were troubled. With the struggle just to live another day, I suppose everyone on Destiny was too busy to notice how far Spencer had fallen.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

no
      Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

What Jill said.

I do agree with some of what you're saying Prion. I think there's a lot of mistakes or things not being done by Young that could be done. He's not the person who would have been chosen for this mission if they'd had a choice. I don't think that he can be replaced as the command though, unless it is by the IOA. I don't think that Wray is up to it - yet. I think she will be soon though once she finds her feet. *THEN* I think things will get interesting.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
          What Jill said.

I do agree with some of what you're saying Prion. I think there's a lot of mistakes or things not being done by Young that could be done. He's not the person who would have been chosen for this mission if they'd had a choice. I don't think that he can be replaced as the command though, unless it is by the IOA. I don't think that Wray is up to it - yet. I think she will be soon though once she finds her feet. *THEN* I think things will get interesting.
          jill said.
          I think after Spencer pushed Franklin that Young could've said he shouldn't get a weapon, but maybe he just thought Spencer was blowing off steam? Any of the people I've peripherally known who've committed suicide it came as a surprise to their families and friends, even when they've known they were troubled. With the struggle just to live another day, I suppose everyone on Destiny was too busy to notice how far Spencer had fallen..
          I sometimes think people could be devoured by the stowaway Martian and nobody would notice missing people until the tally got a bit large many people who are suicidal are good at hiding the indicators; happens a lot in the military too, but one of my points is that they've got a limited amount of people on the ship, who must get their act together and work together as a cohesive unit, at least to a degree, in order for them all to survive. if one of your military unit is exhibiting anger mangement issues, as was Spencer, it was Young's job to make sure the man didn't have a weapon. I'm still uneasy with Greer having a weapon as he's definitely got issues he needs to get a handle on.

But the manner in which Spencer was portrayed to the audience, I think it's hard for the audience to exhibit too much sympathy probably until they saw the farewell video, and if they realized he was depressed, otherwise, most will go 'eh, he's gone', sorta like Riley has vanished into the woodwork and nobody thnks or says anything about those two that went through the gate on the desert planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            The show is realistic.....except for all the logical things that would probably happen in real life but don't happen on the show, like the stones being used so a psych can get on board.

But back on topic...

No I don't feel sorry for Spencer. He took the easy way out and ended his life leaving no doubt as to what kind of person he was. Selfish.
            It didn't make sense.
            Spenser's behavior was not in accord with an individual that would take his life.
            His aggression toward others doesn't equate well with the depression that is so very common in those...bipolar or depressed.

He was a plot device...
            Just like the Senator

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
              I suspect it's because Spencer himself would deny he needed any help. I've been listening to news articles over the past couple of years about the problems admitting and getting mental health help in the military. Spencer was someone, IMHO, who would be loathe to ask for help if he was lying on the ground with his legs blown off. He'd be doing the whole, "It's a flesh wound!" kinda thing.

I think after Spencer pushed Franklin that Young could've said he shouldn't get a weapon, but maybe he just thought Spencer was blowing off steam? Any of the people I've peripherally known who've committed suicide it came as a surprise to their families and friends, even when they've known they were troubled. With the struggle just to live another day, I suppose everyone on Destiny was too busy to notice how far Spencer had fallen.
              My experience tells me that most people....especially family are blind to troubling behavioral changes. In fact family is usually where the last signs are portrayed.

My Cousin Lorenzo exhibited all the classic signs. His family ignored them. They didn't want to acknowledge the problems because that would first require them to admit something is wrong and most people would prefer to believe their family is fine no matter how dysfunctional it is.

Lorenzo invited his best friend over to tell him how he felt. He had a gun and shot himself in the head. Lorenzo had cut the phone lines so no one could call for help

I remember the funeral, all the people, all the crying and boo-hooing...
              I wonder where all those people were when he needed them.

Edit: Lorenzo was 17 when he died.
              Suicide was the 8th leading cause of death for males, and 19th leading cause of death for females in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                Did they ever mention if Rush used the stones (except in the pilot?)
                I mean, I don't think he would have, most likely. I don't think he has anyone on Earth he'd go visit, especially not if it meant giving up time studying his Destiny.

Still, if they are going to use this plot device (which I don't particularly care for after they over-did it in "Life",) I'd love to see him use it eventually. Surely there is someone on Earth that he'd want to see.
                It's not impossible to imagine he has a child (grown, of course) that he's estranged from. I had kind of thought that from the way he treats Chloe and Eli: he is a better version of himself when he tries to talk to them, very sympathetic.
                I think Rush has no interest in returning to earth, so he has no interest in leaving the Destiny. However if he were forced to go back via the stones it might be very interesting as I think his actions would be very different to everyone else that visited.

Comment

I actually did feel really bad for Spencer. And the saddest part is that no one did anything about his instability. I mean, wasn't T.J. supposed to be doing psych evals? Spencer just needed a hug and an "Everything's gonna be alright".

Comment

Originally posted by Byakuya Truelight View Post
                    I actually did feel really bad for Spencer. And the saddest part is that no one did anything about his instability. I mean, wasn't T.J. supposed to be doing psych evals? Spencer just needed a hug and an "Everything's gonna be alright".
                    As nice as that might seem, when someones depressed enough to commit suicide, giving them a hug isn't going to work.
                    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 30 March 2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                      As nice as that might seem, when someones drepressed enough to commit suicide, giving them a hug isn't going to work.
                      And we're not 100% sure it was just depression, or if he was coming off some kind of drug addiction.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                        And we're not 100% sure it was just depression, or if he was coming off some kind of drug addiction.
                        Its possible it was something else but the signs all point to withdrawl.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Its possible it was something else but the signs all point to withdrawl.
                          I'd say a mixture of withdrawal, stress, depression, and probably PTSD all contributed to it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                            I'd say a mixture of withdrawal, stress, depression, and probably PTSD all contributed to it.
                            Withdrawl tends (not always though)to produce a depression as a side effect. As for stress thats a given on the Destiny
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Withdrawl tends (not always though)to produce a depression as a side effect. As for stress thats a given on the Destiny
                              Or really any active assignment in the military. I have to say though I saw nothing that even resembles PTSD in Spencer... but he wasn't overly fleshed.

As for someone commenting that TJ did a psych eval and should have picked up on Spencer's depression and suicidal tendancies. While she is a doctor, she is not a trained psychologist - she may not know how to diagnose psychatric problems.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                                Or really any active assignment in the military. I have to say though I saw nothing that even resembles PTSD in Spencer... but he wasn't overly fleshed.

As for someone commenting that TJ did a psych eval and should have picked up on Spencer's depression and suicidal tendancies. While she is a doctor, she is not a trained psychologist - she may not know how to diagnose psychatric problems.
                                I don't event think TJ is considered a doctor. But you are correct knowing the symptoms of psychlogical disorders and recognizing are two separate things
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X