Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone else feel kinda bad for Spencer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    But this does not take away from him being used by the writers as a plot device. Had he actually made freinds, had we actually liked him, Justice would have been a lot more impacting. Had they made spence for us to love and pitty, this would have sent a better image and released him from plot devicehood.
    Yeah it would have been nice if we got to know and love him, for sure. But this was definitely a step in the right direction.

Perfecto!

Comment

I had expected them to do interesting things with Spencer. Even just leaving the audience in suspense a little longer -- wondering what the would do when he finally went postal -- might have been good. But then, they have succeeded in being unpredictable so far.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
        Not at all. I'm just not the softy type. Need more gore, violence and sex please.

This would probably be the first Stargate personal to commit suicide in the entire franchise? Change is good.
        Shepperd seemed to want to get killed throughout 5 seasons of Alantis!
        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
          Yeah it would have been nice if we got to know and love him, for sure. But this was definitely a step in the right direction.
          I just wanted to know him...love him, eh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
            Shepperd seemed to want to get killed throughout 5 seasons of Alantis!
            Danny boy kept getting killed throughout 10 seasons of SG-1
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              But this does not take away from him being used by the writers as a plot device. Had he actually made freinds, had we actually liked him, Justice would have been a lot more impacting. Had they made spence for us to love and pitty, this would have sent a better image and released him from plot devicehood.
              i agree. further more, what bugs me is the glaring way "the plot device" was thrown in there. Chloe and Eli get to go clubbing via the stones. We get to see Chloe whine and Eli pine over her. Spencer clearly has issues, everyone knows it. Yet he doesn't get priority access to the stones to see a psychiatrist/psychologist? The show writers can't show one minute of him talking about his problems via the stones? Even something that small would add a lot more of depth to his character. Instead, we get a cardboard character and a cliched death.

The premise was great, but the execution was just horrible.

Comment

I don't see how he's a plot device.

This guy had this own story thread running throughout the entirety of the first 10 episodes; sure, he could've gotten more friends and been more sociable at the beginning, but that's not a defining thing for him to not be a plot device; that's just writing his story thread differently.

The fact is, we touched base with him every once in a while and checked up on him. Through a fairly natural evolution of his character, he ended up commiting suicide. How's that different from any other story or character arc?

Yes, his death made this episode possible; that's what's called the payoff of a character arc. The fact that this episode was made possible because of the payoff of a character arc just shows that SGU is very much character driven.

And yeah, I felt sorry for Spencer. I felt for his plight from Darkness onwards, when he revealed that he didn't want to stay on the ship. I can totally understand his position; during times when I'm forced to stay in the city to go to school, I dream of travelling throughout the American West, feeling that freedom. Being trapped against your will is not fun, especially if you have other issues.

I would've liked to see him deal with these issues and come out stronger, but realistically there are a few who don't make it that far, and I was sorry to see him go out the way he did.

I will miss him.

Comment

I feel bad ,beacuse Spencer probably die without joining Dr Lisa Pak's book club.
                  Everybody hated him, but the way of Dr Pak's speed reading , Spencer probaby can join in a few more week.

Spencer probably would not need to kill himself after one reading session with Dr Pak.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post
                    I feel bad ,beacuse Spencer probably die without joining Dr Lisa Pak's book club.
                    Everybody hated him, but the way of Dr Pak's speed reading , Spencer probaby can join in a few more week.

Spencer probably would not need to kill himself after one reading session with Dr Pak.
                    I hope Dr. Park is using reading glasses.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                      I hope Dr. Park is using reading glasses.
                      I hope so too. Otherwise, there are going to be some serious issues related to her reading so much on-board Destiny.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I hope so too. Otherwise, there are going to be some serious issues related to her reading so much on-board Destiny.
                        We wouldn't want any short stories on the Destiny.

Perfecto!

Comment

Poor Spency-poo couldn't handle the pressure. I feel so bad for him that I held my own little one person candlelight vigil.

Comment

Originally posted by ARealArchaeologist View Post
                            I just wish we would have explored his character more. Now that he is dead will we ever know his story, or was his character just a plot device? I for one, wanted to know more about him.
                            I think his character was a plot device, but I still would have liked to know more about him. To be honest, I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea that a character is used as a plot device on a show that's supposed to be character driven, I'm also uncomfortable with the idea that nobody liked Spencer and they were OK that he was gone? I'd think that more people would mourn the fact that he's dead, whether they liked him or not, they worked with him, they knew him. But mostly, as I already said, I'm not OK with the fact that he was used as a plot device on this show.

Originally posted by ne0phyte View Post
                            i agree. further more, what bugs me is the glaring way "the plot device" was thrown in there. Chloe and Eli get to go clubbing via the stones. We get to see Chloe whine and Eli pine over her. Spencer clearly has issues, everyone knows it. Yet he doesn't get priority access to the stones to see a psychiatrist/psychologist? The show writers can't show one minute of him talking about his problems via the stones? Even something that small would add a lot more of depth to his character. Instead, we get a cardboard character and a cliched death.

The premise was great, but the execution was just horrible.
                            My thoughts exactly.

Comment

I agree, in a character show like this I thought we would get more background on him. I know he isn't major, nor deserves a lot of screen time, but it just seems he was given a problem, made himself a pain to everyone, and then died. I figured he had a reason for taking those pills, just a small story for them to flesh out a little, maybe in the kino he could have said what his reason for the pills were, or a bit about his history....just something so it didn't seem like he was some random psycho set out to bother the Destiny crew for a few episodes.

Comment

Actually, I now feel quite cold. I didn't even spare a thought to the fact he was gone really, just moved on with the Rush/Young storyline.

Comment

Working...
                                X