No announcement yet.

Kinda like BSG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess now i'm glad i never watched a single episode of BSG or Lost or Defying Gravity or Law and Order or Caprica (is that even a show?).... .... serious!

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
      Hah, apparently people get pissed when you compare SGU to BSG. But, as someone who is pretty new to the SG fandom, and watched BSG....they are a lot alike. There are of course a whole different cast of characters, but the basic premise and some of the plot devices used are very similar. I'm not saying it's a BSG clone. The technology in this, the setting, is different pretty much entirely. No cylons, but plenty of paranoia still (for some reason I can't quite grasp; maybe it's just cabin fever.)
      We're a little sick of it, is all.

I've been a fan of Stargate for quite a while now, and watched BSG from the beginning. Frankly, the comparison is ridiculous.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        We're a little sick of it, is all.

I've been a fan of Stargate for quite a while now, and watched BSG from the beginning. Frankly, the comparison is ridiculous.
        I've watched both. I've liked both. So do my friends, my father, and my roommate. We all agree that this show drinks liberally from the BSG koolaid.

Comment

Maybe that's the danger, then, of following a famous act. Because BSG was one of the first shows where the characters were absolutely stuck, a large number of them, and it only just ended a few months ago, people see that SGU has characters stuck against their will on a ship and draw comparisons. It's natural and bound to happen. They did the same to the fans of Babylon, Farscape, etc. Genre fiction is vicious like that.

Comment

Battlestar Galactica is not the origin of the universe.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

They'd do themselves a world of service if they just dropped the shaky-cam, zoom-in-and-out-a-bunch cinematography...THAT was pretty much a hallmark of BSG's visual style, and contributes a lot to why SGU can seem so viscerally "like" BSG.

Plus, its just annoying and gimmicky at this point and kinda sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by droid327 View Post
                They'd do themselves a world of service if they just dropped the shaky-cam, zoom-in-and-out-a-bunch cinematography...THAT was pretty much a hallmark of BSG's visual style, and contributes a lot to why SGU can seem so viscerally "like" BSG.

And how!

Comment

Originally posted by droid327 View Post

hand held camera effect is not bsg exclusive hell a whole bunch of shows use it now and more will use it in the future now that camera are lighter and people want that you are there feeling..

Comment

Kinda like BSG? NO! Its nothing like BSG IMO.

Comment

I agree with the comments about the filming style. BSG didn't invent that style, but it was one of the first and most well-known sci-fi series to use it. Add that to "we're stuck on a ship and no one trusts anyone else." and it does seem to be, on the surface, similar to many people.

Comment

I thought we agreed a few weeks ago BSG is the origin of all society. Anything and everything is a BSG ripoff
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

when i watch SGU i dont really even think of it as stargate and i enjoy it..any other time i mention/post abotu SGU i am thinking about stargate......if you think of it as a stand alone show and analyse it, its very good.....but i think as part of the SG universe its F**KING FANTASTIC!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Battlestar Galactica is not the origin of the universe.
                            Just the origins of Humanity, right?

If anyone would like to say that SGU is like BSG because they both have crews trapped on a ship due to unfortunate circumstances, I'd like to point you to Star Trek: Voyager, which ended its' 7-year run before BSG even began. Still not convinced? Lost in Space aired from 1965-1968. Yes, the "marooned on a starship far from home" thing has been around for 45 years.

Just because there are some similarities doesn't mean they're ripping off the last guy to do it. If that were the case, I guess every show here is a rip off of Homer's Odyssey.

If you like SGU then great; watch it. If you don't like it, don't watch it. No need to bring up all this muck.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                              I agree with the comments about the filming style. BSG didn't invent that style, but it was one of the first and most well-known sci-fi series to use it. Add that to "we're stuck on a ship and no one trusts anyone else." and it does seem to be, on the surface, similar to many people.
                              Farscape would like to have a word with you.....

not shaky cam, but hand held style and darker visual tones, definitely totally ripped off from farscape. /snark

Comment

Firefly would also like a word.

Comment

Working...
                                X