Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rush's actions, situation and how will he get out of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    Wouldn't that depend on how you define murder?
    I was going by the law definition
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Ethically. Morals apply to the indvidual.

Anyway what Young did was murder. But their are times with murder is accpeatable.
      And Rush basically talking Franklin into sitting in the chair wasn't murder? I remember people were up in arms about Sheppard "presenting the situation" to Wallace in Millers Crossing which lead to Wallace letting Todd feed on him. But for some reason people are giving Rush a pass on doing exactly the same thing.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
        And Rush basically talking Franklin into sitting in the chair wasn't murder? I remember people were up in arms about Sheppard "presenting the situation" to Wallace in Millers Crossing which lead to Wallace letting Todd feed on him. But for some reason people are giving Rush a pass on doing exactly the same thing.
        Never said it wasn't. What Rush did was just as bad and I probably blame hime more then Young. Rush did what he did out of greed. Its still a little murky why Young did what he did. The reason makes all the difference why murder can be accpeatable.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Ethically. Morals apply to the indvidual.

Anyway what Young did was murder. But their are times with murder is accpeatable.
          Murder has a very definite definition. The very nature of the word says it's never okay. It's killing in a way that law has said "Not that way" to. Murder is never acceptable, especially for one so hypocritical that he betrayed his own principles.

What Young did was Murder, for all intents and purposes. Of course, he'll get off scott-free since Rush is a main character and thus won't actually die.

Never said it wasn't. What Rush did was just as bad and I probably blame hime more then Young. Rush did what he did out of greed. Its still a little murky why Young did what he did. The reason makes all the difference why murder can be accpeatable.
          You have a very flimsy definition for murder and greed. Rush being greedy could apply to everyone else who is greedy to continue living and survive. Murder is by definition wrong according to society.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Murder

The John Sheppard wraith feeding thing is an interesting comparison. John did just as much, if not more, to convince someone to actually die. In that case, death was assured. In Rush's case, there was a chance for survival, and the action could save everyone else aboard the ship. It's no different than what happened with the Senator in the shuttle. I don't see people harping on John for his actions, or Rush for the senator-shuttle incident.

Makes protesting now a bit hypocritical.

Comment

I personally think Young did it to protect the crew. Rush said "we'll never be done". Meaning I'm going to keep putting other people's lives at risk to further my goals. Rush did was he did for selfish reasons, Young did what he did to protect the crew, imo.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
              Murder has a very definite definition. The very nature of the word says it's never okay. It's killing in a way that law has said "Not that way" to. Murder is never acceptable, especially for one so hypocritical that he betrayed his own principles.

What Young did was Murder, for all intents and purposes. Of course, he'll get off scott-free since Rush is a main character and thus won't actually die.
              Once again I ask for legal precedents to attest to this.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Once again I ask for legal precedents to attest to this.
                I gave a definition above. If you want a technical word: Negligent Homicide. If I knowingly put you in a situation which could very plausibly lead to your death, then I am criminally responsible for my actions. Even if you survive, I can still be guilty of intent to cause harm.

Comment

I gave a definition above. If you want a technical word: Negligent Homicide. If I knowingly put you in a situation which could very plausibly lead to your death, then I am criminally responsible for my actions. Even if you survive, I can still be guilty of intent to cause harm.
                  I want a legal case where something similar happened in real life and the perp was charged with Murder. That's what I meant by legal precedent.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

I want a legal case where something similar happened in real life and the perp was charged with Murder. That's what I meant by legal precedent.
                    You can't possibly be serious... this is like asking if water is wet. Study up on actual law.

Better yet, I want you to lock someone in a room where the temperature is either very hot or very cold. And don't let them out. And please try to tell me with a straight face, that you would have done nothing wrong.

Comment

You can't possibly be serious... this is like asking if water is wet. Study up on actual law.

Better yet, I want you to lock someone in a room where the temperature is either very hot or very cold. And don't let them out. And please try to tell me with a straight face, that you would have done nothing wrong.
                      1. Law is open to interpretation. I do not see marooning some one as murder. Thus I ask for a case to see what the professionals think.
                      2. Your situation is apples to oranges, I am pulling a trigger to a gun.
                      3. Calling a marooning murder is like accusing parents of murder if their kids die at preschool, after all they dropped their kids there,
                      4. Just cause I say it is not murder, it does not mean that I am exonerating Young of any wrongdoing.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Rush is the voice of the gates fans who wanted to do more exploration of the city of Atlantis and now the Destiny. He's just tired of Young fixation for love triangle stuff and adultery soap opera storylines. I'm on his side.
                        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

1. Law is open to interpretation. I do not see marooning some one as murder. Thus I ask for a case to see what the professionals think.
                          2. Your situation is apples to oranges, I am pulling a trigger to a gun.
                          3. Calling a marooning murder is like accusing parents of murder if their kids die at preschool, after all they dropped their kids there,
                          4. Just cause I say it is not murder, it does not mean that I am exonerating Young of any wrongdoing.
                          I'm sorry, but this has to be a troll. You're comparing parents dropping their kids off at a preschool to be the equivalent of what Young did. There can be no debate with such a viewpoint.

Comment

I still can't believe that guy killed himself.
                            My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I'm sorry, but this has to be a troll. You're comparing parents dropping their kids off at a preschool to be the equivalent of what Young did. There can be no debate with such a viewpoint.
                              *Face palm*

you know what, forget it. Fine Young is a cold blooded murder for looking after the well bieng of the crew by marooning, I mean, Viciously murdering a man who would risk the well being of others with no second thoughts and possibly a sociopath wannabe.

-----------edit-------------------
                              oh, if you think I am trolling, report me.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

*Face palm*

you know what, forget it. Fine Young is a cold blooded murder for looking after the well bieng of the crew by marooning, I mean, Viciously murdering a man who would risk the well being of others with no second thoughts and possibly a sociopath wannabe.

-----------edit-------------------
                                oh, if you think I am trolling, report me.
                                I can understand why he thinks you are a troll, i mean what Young did was the same as this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_the_plank

"It was said that forcing loyal seamen to walk the plank was supposed, by the perpetrators, to "avoid the penalty for murder"[5] (by not actually killing the victims), but this would hardly have worked. Not only would most lawmen have not hesitated to prosecute any person who forced another to his death, but piracy and mutiny were also capital crimes. However, a plank-walking may have been easier on the perpetrators' consciences."

He beat him up and left him on a desert planet with no supplies and no way of getting to civilisation (to his knowledge).
                                He might as well pushed him out the airlock in a spacesuit/defunct shuttle.

Nowadays even IF you murdered someone on a ship, you get thrown in the brig, not thrown into the water or left on an island with no way back!

Point is, Young behaved exactly the same as Rush did in the end. He compromised his ethics, everything that made him different from Rush.
                                Bottom line, Rush would do anything for his own good, Young would do anything for the greater good.
                                Both are now corrupt to the core and should be thrown in the brig, also both are not fit to lead.

PS: Btw this is exactly the same discussion i had with a friend considering the new Star Trek movie since Spock put Kirk in a pod and let him strand on a hostile frozen planet. Spock should have been tried for attempted murder at the end of the movie.
                                Last edited by AdamTM; 05 December 2009, 11:36 AM.
                                Later, AdamTM

I swear a lot, just take it as my attempt at honesty.

Stargate Atlantis Unlimited

Stargate Universe - BSG Style

Stargate Universe - Monk Style

SGU SUCKS

Comment

Working...
                                X