Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Dr. Rush doesn't die, it's attempted marooning. ;-)
    No it's not. It's attempted murder.

If there are supplies in the ship, it wouldn't make a difference since Young did not know there were supplies. It's still attempted murder.

Deevil, I wanted to comment on why I think Wray may have a personal bias against Greer, or why they may have a personal bias against each other. It's not just what necessarily said, but I just get a feeling on how the characters seem to react to each other in scenes, even if they aren't just interacting with each other. I pick up on these subtle nuances, and I find them magnified on the rare occasions that they do interact. It might be nothing, it might just be because Greer is currently my favorite main character, and Wray is a close second (in terms of character interest, satisfaction based on acting, and characteristics that I like) that I watch the 2 of them. Or it could be something important. Something that'll make sense if/when whatever it is is revealed.
    Last edited by natyanayaki; 10 December 2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
      Deevil, I wanted to comment on why I think Wray may have a personal bias against Greer, or why they may have a personal bias against each other. It's not just what necessarily said, but I just get a feeling on how the characters seem to react to each other in scenes, even if they aren't just interacting with each other. I pick up on these subtle nuances, and I find them magnified on the rare occasions that they do interact. It might be nothing, it might just be because Greer is currently my favorite main character, and Wray is a close second (in terms of character interest, satisfaction based on acting, and characteristics that I like) that I watch the 2 of them. Or it could be something important. Something that'll make sense if/when whatever it is is revealed.
      See, I get if you are picking up on something that you are seeing. The problem is, while I don't think they like each other much doesn't mean that Wray acted out of personal bias against Greer.

I think she had a legitimate concern and acted on it. Nothing more or less.

That being said, I think their relationship has the potential to interesting to watch in future.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        Young left Rush to die - there is no way to talk around this. It is just what happened. How Rush survives doesn't absolve Young of his actions. He beat up Rush and left him on a planet, alone, without supplies... to well, you guessed it die. The fact that Rush is unliekly to die is just unfortunate for Young.
        Wow, such absolutes. Young marooned Dr. Rush. Whether Dr. Rush is able to survive his predicament is up to him.

If Col. Young put a bullet in Dr. Rush's head before returning to Destiny, that would be murder. As it stands now, it's marooning.

If Dr. Rush found a way back to Destiny, then, it would be attempted marooning.

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
          Wow, such absolutes. Young marooned Dr. Rush. Whether Dr. Rush is able to survive his predicament is up to him.
          That's because it is an absolute. *headdesk*

Young left Rush to die. The End.

There is no way to talk around that cold, hard reality.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
            And you accuse others of having double standards?!
            See, let me explain the difference that you're missing.

Nobody is above the law. Dr. Rush is not above the law. He's subject to punishment for his crimes. If he were brought back to Destiny, he would certainly feel he's above punishment, and therefore, above the law.

Col. Young is in command, For all intent and purposes, he is the law.
            When he confronted Dr. Rush with the truth about the KINO footage, Dr. Rush confessed to the deed. And when Col. Young asked him "Are we done?", Dr. Rush was un-repentant by replying "we'll never be done." Based on Dr. Rush's response, Col. Young carried out the sentence of banishment. While this process didn't take weeks and months, it was a process.

And for what it's worth, if you locked someone in a cupboard with no food or water and walked away forever, you would be charged with attempted murder if they survived, or murder if they died. That's basically what Young did to Rush, only it was a planet in the middle of a distant galaxy, instead of a cupboard.
            I agree. Except for the fact that the term is Marooning Dr. Rush on the planet. If he makes his way back, then it would be attempted marooning.
            As to whether Dr. Rush dies or not, it's up to Dr. Rush.
            Last edited by Misfits; 10 December 2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Rush vs Young wars aside for a moment...

Is it me, or did Wray suffer some serious character assassination this episode? I know that's kind of hard to say so early in the series, but to about-face in one episode from being the ideal leader to being terrible, and completely unreasonable...it threw me for a loop when I watched it.

What? Is the drama from Young vs Rush, or the problems that Young's ineptitude will cause as a leader so important, we must eliminate all chance of anyone else taking control, no matter the cost? Feels a bit cheap to me.

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post

If Dr. Rush doesn't die, it's attempted marooning. ;-)
                No it's not. It's attempted murder.

If there are supplies in the ship, it wouldn't make a difference since Young did not know there were supplies. It's still attempted murder.
                In your opinion.

In my opinion it's marooning and attempted marooning. :-)

Comment

And back on the YvsR...I gotta say, given the extreme circumstances they're in, and the kind of planet he dumped Rush on...he didn't drop him there expecting him to live out the rest of his life on the planet. He left him there to die. Perhaps not with the express interest of *killing* him, but he did *know* he would die (except for the MC save Rush will make). Thus, given his intentions, attempted murder is valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Yusagi View Post
                    Rush vs Young wars aside for a moment...
                    Is it me, or did Wray suffer some serious character assassination this episode? I know that's kind of hard to say so early in the series, but to about-face in one episode from being the ideal leader to being terrible, and completely unreasonable...it threw me for a loop when I watched it.
                    What? Is the drama from Young vs Rush, or the problems that Young's ineptitude will cause as a leader so important, we must eliminate all chance of anyone else taking control, no matter the cost? Feels a bit cheap to me.
                    There's always... Chloe. I'm serious.
                    I felt the same way re: Wray. To be honest, she started off nasty, got nicer [Light, Life], then turned nasty again. It must be when she's working that she turns into the HR manager from Celestis.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
                      In your opinion.

In my opinion it's marooning and attempted marooning. :-)
                      One last thought: He DID succeed in marooning Rush. The Destiny left without him, and we can safely assume some time will pass before Rush escapes the planet/gets back. Whether or not Rush escapes after the fact, it's successful marooning.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                        That's because it is an absolute. *headdesk*

Young left Rush to die. The End.

There is no way to talk around that cold, hard reality.
                        Col. Young left Dr. Rush on the planet to fend for himself. Which is marooning.

Let's say, since this is sci-fi, an alien race showed up in the planet and actually killed Dr. Rush. Then the aliens would have murdered Dr. Rush, who was marooned on the planet by Col. Young.

I mean, you couldn't possibly argue that Dr. Rush was murdered by two different entities that resulted in one instance of death, could you?
                        Last edited by Misfits; 10 December 2009, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I think she had a legitimate concern and acted on it. Nothing more or less.
                          I understand that POV, I disagree...there was just something more to the confrontation, IMO. Let's just agree to disagree??

No I don't think so. I actually thought it fit her character. We know she was passed over for promotions, and we're left to assume why. I think some posters indicated they thought it's because of her sexual orientation, or they felt that that's what she was insinuating. But I think this episode was to show why she hadn't been promoted. I think previous episodes showed that she's good at playing leaders, or advising them...not necessarily being the one in command. Also, considering the emotional roller coaster she went through in "Life," her joy over seeing Sharon, her sadness over leaving her and not being able to fully be with her, her joy over the Icarus-type planet, then her sadness over it being a lie could easily have lead to a "current" emotional state that lead her to this place. I think her current situation is very similar to Young's, except I think she recognizes her flaws and her limitations, and I'm not sure that Young does anymore...though he might have at one point.

I mean, you couldn't possibly argue that Dr. Rush was murdered by two different entities that resulted in one instance od death, could you?
                          No. But you would argue that Young attempted to murder Rush, but was not able to complete his attempt and the aliens murdered Rush.

Comment

You maroon someone somewhere with supplies and give them some means of defending themselves, if only a gun with a single bullet. Rush had no weapons and no supplies apart from an unknown alien ship.
                            Rush isn't Captain Jack. Sparrow, that is.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              There's always... Chloe. I'm serious.
                              I felt the same way re: Wray. To be honest, she started off nasty, got nicer [Light, Life], then turned nasty again. It must be when she's working that she turns into the HR manager from Celestis.
                              I could accept the idea of Chloe eventually, since she's got experience with politics already, but it's something they'd have to work toward for awhile, first.

That's terrible. XD Maybe she needs coffee when she's working?

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                                You maroon someone somewhere with supplies and give them some means of defending themselves, if only a gun with a single bullet. Rush had no weapons and no supplies apart from an unknown alien ship.
                                Rush isn't Captain Jack. Sparrow, that is.
                                Agreed. From what we saw, Young left Rush in a desert, without food, without water, without a weapon.

I could accept the idea of Chloe eventually, since she's got experience with politics already, but it's something they'd have to work toward for awhile, first.
                                I think Chloe would work because Wray, Young and Rush would see her as an easy target for their manipulations and it would be an interesting story to see how she navigates through them, and how she struggles to out-wit each of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X