This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Whatever Rush’s motives, that scene clearly shows that saving the lives of the people on the base and returning them to earth was not on his agenda. As for Rush wanting power he clearly wants enough to do his “work,” you know get those pesky people to sit in dangerous chairs, that sort of thing.
    It doesn't matter if he did only to save his own life. It's pure conjecture that the only reason that he dialed the 9th chevron was the serve his own purposes, even with that scene. Just like it's pure conjecture that he made the only choice possible. We don't know!

And I think someone should have sat in the chair long before Franklin decided too, so, your sarcasm is lost of me here .

Are you contractedly obliged to nitpick all of my posts? These aren’t just excised scenes that they decided to cut for creative reasons, this is more akin to the extended additions of Lord of the Rings.
    They are still deleted scenes. Even if they put them in additionally, they were still initially deleted for the original release (and the why's of the deletion do not matter). And the only reason I commented was because you corrected someone who said it right in the first place.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I just re-watched Justice today (the reason I'm on this thread) - and one thing that I picked up on the second watching that I didn't fully appreciate on the first was how subtle the switch was on the planet when Young went from smiling and asking Rush to explain away framing him to the moment when he just exploded. Rush literally didn't see it coming.

As much as I like Young (I do, I think his character is compelling) - that's terrifying to watch. If you've ever experienced a violent person in your life (here's hoping you haven't, and that you won't), that's just a really scary thing, to see someone move from words to physical violence like that. I will say this - I wouldn't want to date Colonel Young.

I have a serious appreciation for Ferriera's abilities as an actor. He is a great foil for Carlyle (or Carlyle is a great foil for him).
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        It doesn't matter if he did only to save his own life. It's pure conjecture that the only reason that he dialed the 9th chevron was the serve his own purposes, even with that scene. Just like it's pure conjecture that he made the only choice possible. We don't know!
        He’s certainly not serving anyone else’s purpose otherwise he might actually tell people the reason he dragged them off to a rusty space ship at the arse end of nowhere.
        They are still deleted scenes. Even if they put them in additionally, they were still initially deleted for the original release (and the why's of the deletion do not matter). And the only reason I commented was because you corrected someone who said it right in the first place
        What would you call the Lord of the Rings Extended addition then? The line where extended scene and deleted scene begin and end are blurry and we could argue about it for hours, but are you really going to have a go at me for telling someone that the scenes were used to create an extended episode rather than in the traditional deleted scene format?

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
          I just re-watched Justice today (the reason I'm on this thread) - and one thing that I picked up on the second watching that I didn't fully appreciate on the first was how subtle the switch was on the planet when Young went from smiling and asking Rush to explain away framing him to the moment when he just exploded. Rush literally didn't see it coming.

As much as I like Young (I do, I think his character is compelling) - that's terrifying to watch. If you've ever experienced a violent person in your life (here's hoping you haven't, and that you won't), that's just a really scary thing, to see someone move from words to physical violence like that. I will say this - I wouldn't want to date Colonel Young.

I have a serious appreciation for Ferriera's abilities as an actor. He is a great foil for Carlyle (or Carlyle is a great foil for him).
          It’s a great moment with brilliant acting, definitely my favourite moment from the first 10 eps. I also love the irony of the scene, Rush says Young doesn’t have the stomach to make life or death decisions, then suffers when Young promptly makes a life or death decision.

Comment

He’s certainly not serving anyone else’s purpose otherwise he might actually tell people the reason he dragged them off to a rusty space ship at the arse end of nowhere.
            And he did. He did it because it was too dangerous to dial a gate in the Milky Way. Now, it's up to personal opinion whether or not you believe it - but there is no proof refuting this. No real proof proving it either. Just a lot of hot air.

What would you call the Lord of the Rings Extended addition then? The line where extended scene and deleted scene begin and end are blurry and we could argue about it for hours, but are you really going to have a go at me for telling someone that the scenes were used to create an extended episode rather than in the traditional deleted scene format?
            I call the extended Lord of the Ring's even more boring then the initial 3hr film.

No, the lines aren't blurry. The initial release deleted the scene. They were subsequently added back in. It's great marketing and money making to do so. The word deleted applies here no mater which was you try and cut it.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

No, the lines aren't blurry. The initial release deleted the scene. They were subsequently added back in. It's great marketing and money making to do so. And I call the extended Lord of the Ring's even more boring then the initial 3hr film.

And seriously mate, you challenged someone's semantics, I just happened to correct you. There is no martyrdom here, let's not be dramatic.
              I’m going to martyr myself for the cause of extended scenes and there’s nothing you can do about it

Comment

I’m going to martyr myself for the cause of extended scenes and there’s nothing you can do about it
                I hope you enjoy your crucifixion, but I heard tell that it didn't tickle. Kinda of perminent too for something that you are blatenly wrong about .

Comment

I hope you enjoy your crucifixion, but I heard tell that it didn't tickle. Kinda of perminent too for something that you are blatenly wrong about .
                  The crack suicide squad will show you

Comment

All of that was total conjecture, indeed this scene invalidates it. If there was some danger that Rush knew about why didn’t he defend himself with that when O’Neill attacked him for not dialing the milky way gate?
                    I don't think it invalidates it at all. In fact, doesn't Rush say so? I'm at work (shhhh) so can't actually see the scene until I get home. As to it being conjecture, well, in the absence of actual evidence conjecture is what we have and my conjecture is valid: We. Don't. Know. Nor do we know that he did it for his own personal gain. That's conjecture.

Whatever Rush’s motives, that scene clearly shows that saving the lives of the people on the base and returning them to earth was not on his agenda. As for Rush wanting power he clearly wants enough to do his “work,” you know get those pesky people to sit in dangerous chairs, that sort of thing.
                    Once again, I will disagree with you. *shock* Rush appears to me to be the sort of person to whom phatic communication is unimportant. It doesn't have to be said that getting people back is important, it's simply understood. He doesn't have to say he's trying to save lives, it's understood. See extra scene with Eli where he says 'Why wouldn't I do that?' about returning all the useless people (my term) and getting the 'right people' there.

It’s a great moment with brilliant acting, definitely my favourite moment from the first 10 eps. I also love the irony of the scene, Rush says Young doesn’t have the stomach to make life or death decisions, then suffers when Young promptly makes a life or death decision.
                    Glad you found it funny. I found it yet more evidence of Young's whackjobness.
                    Last edited by EllieVee; 17 March 2010, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen
                      As was discussed in another thread, that switch was probably partly why Rush said they would never be done, since Young basically proved Rush's worst suspicions about him.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                        As was discussed in another thread, that switch was probably partly why Rush said they would never be done, since Young basically proved Rush's worst suspicions about him.
                        My thoughts in that regard is that Rush said it in reaction to being beaten up. He's otherwise too pragmatic to play 'wind up the crazy person'. Said it in the heat of the moment.

Comment

I think you are right - it is actually out of character for Rush to stand up directly to Young like that (in their previous confrontations, he always backs down, backs away). But he's just been beaten bloodly - you aren't thinking logically in that type of situation. The logical thing is to say whatever you think will get the person to stop hitting you - here he says the thing most likely to keep the beating going.

Like I said, a scary scene.
                          sigpic
                          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                            Rush tried to give the crew a morale boost, soething to aim towards. Young, in his idiotic vendetta, blows it apart to try and make Rush look bad. Not only does this demoralise the crew, it undermines Rush and it causes emnity and distrust towards Rush, biasing the crew to the Colonels opinions and not the merits(or lack thereof) of the prof's actions. Its petty, vindictive and conduct unbecoming any officer, even in the US military.
                            I don't know if I can exhibit enough nativity to take Rush's actions at face value considering the negativity of his previous antagonistic actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                              I don't know if I can exhibit enough nativity to take Rush's actions at face value considering the negativity of his previous antagonistic actions.
                              Like? I mean, antagonistic actions. Not the inevitable whine of 'he dialled the nineth chevron' but ones where he's been deliberately antagonistic.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                                Like? I mean, antagonistic actions. Not the inevitable whine of 'he dialled the nineth chevron' but ones where he's been deliberately antagonistic.
                                How much more deliberate do you need?
                                He did it and had a very poor reason for stranding them there. All he could think about was never seeing what's on the other side.
                                They didn't even send a Malp through. They had no idea what they were walking into.

They could have stepped into vacuum,under an ocean, black hole, miles under ground in solid rock. He was massive presumption. And frankly the most unbelievable thing about the pilot..

It was contrived the moment he started dialing it. It would have been better if they had come under attack after already establishing the wormhole with people on the other side already exploring.

Aside from that you've seen the same episodes I have. Rush has arrogantly withheld information lied, framed and verbally assaulted his on team as well as the military.

Comment

Working...
                                X