This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
    Maybe because up till Justice Young had been a bit less of a bad boy?
    Not true at all. I think that Rush is a little more closed off that just arouses peoples suspicions - where as Young is obviously unstable.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      Why a go? What are you trying to prove? First you would say he is grey, you can't have grey without questionable actions and decisions. If he has done nothing remotely questionable than he is Black and white, not Grey.
      Except that you're accusing him of being all black not grey. Were you saying he was grey you would be saying the same thing as I am: that what he's not is not provable.

He hasn't been anywhere near cooperative with the other scientists for starters, he is arrogant, full of himself, and disobeyed orders in dialing the 9th chevron. Before that he never, implied by him refusing to eat with Eli and the gang, shown interest in others.
      He didn't refuse to eat with Eli and the others because HE WASN'T INVITED TO EAT WITH ELI AND THE OTHERS. Colonel Young comes in, asks Eli to have dinner in the officer's mess. All Rush says is that he'd prefer Eli to keep working. Young takes Eli out AND AT NO TIME DOES HE INVITE RUSH TO EAT WITH THEM NOR DOES RUSH REFUSE TO GO.

Yes, I'm shouting because what you accuse him of didn't happen.

He also seems to make hard decisions with out hesitation whatsoever...It would pass for a military commander who lives making those decisions but not a civilian scientist.
      Yes, he makes decisions that the weak Young will not. He's a pragmatist, which appears to be a crime now, too.

Comment

Maybe because up till Justice Young had been a bit less of a bad boy?
        Not bad just unstable and weak.

No you’re just going to beat around the bush and complain that were all so unfair that we aren’t seeing the wonderfulness that is Rush, he that has the right to do what he wants to who he wants. Frankly Deevil if Rush started demanding human meat you’d probably be chastising the rest of the crew for not offering themselves up to him. I have had it with people on both sides of the Rush/Young debate, the sun does not shine out of either of their arses and they both have their own deeply unpleasant flaws. If there’s one good thing that can come of this it’s this, God help any SGU hater who comes to the forum when the new half of the season starts up, because they’ve got nothing on the vitriol that the Rush v Young debate causes.
        No, what the pro-Rush people have said over and over and over and over is that what the anti-Rush crowd constantly accuse him of (see aretood2's post above for a flight of fantasy) is either unevidenced by the series or cannot be proved. No one of us has said he's a great guy who has everyone's best interests at heart. He may not have but some of the stuff he's been accused of is just fantasy unbacked up by anything on the screen.

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        Not true at all. I think that Rush is a little more closed off that just arouses peoples suspicions - where as Young is obviously unstable.
        YOUNG: It could be that Rush is just starting the fire so he can put it out, or it could be that he's so far ahead of us, he can see problems that none of us can see.

Young is not just unstable, he's stupid.
        Last edited by EllieVee; 17 March 2010, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Oh and Rush, the man who dragged them off to the arse end of the universe isn’t a little unstable? This scene from the extended pilot sums it up. Who cares about the fact there in the middle of a crisis, Dr Rush needs to bathe in the glory of dialing the 9th chevron.

Comment

Oh and Rush, the man who dragged them off to the arse end of the universe isn’t a little unstable? This scene from the extended pilot sums it up. Who cares about the fact there in the middle of a crisis, Dr Rush needs to bathe in the glory of dialing the 9th chevron.
            Rush might be wanting to 'bask in the glory' but he possibly also saved their lives. He had a valid reason for dialling the ninth chevron outside of your 'basking in the glory' (though there doesn't seem to be much glory for him to bask in given they're unlikely to get home).

The anti-Rush crowd's problem is that they can't see the wood for the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
              Rush might be wanting to 'bask in the glory' but he possibly also saved their lives. He had a valid reason for dialling the ninth chevron outside of your 'basking in the glory' (though there doesn't seem to be much glory for him to bask in given they're unlikely to get home).

The anti-Rush crowd's problem is that they can't see the wood for the trees.
              Oh please, he saved their lives? He’s just made their fate drawn out, if he was interested in saving lives then as O’Neill said he would have dialled a milky way gate.

Comment

Oh please, he saved their lives? He’s just made their fate drawn out, if he was interested in saving lives then as O’Neill said he would have dialled a milky way gate.
                See all previous discussions about the dangers of dialling another Milky Way gate.

Comment

First of all, are those deleted scenes from the SGU 1.0 DVD? Thanks for posting (for those of us who hadn't seen them).

I guess I would say, oh yes, Rush is more than a little unstable (the world "obsession" comes to mind). And Young has shown us that he can be pushed to be more than a little unstable himself (beating up a fellow officer? leaving someone to die?).

I read a review that said Carlyle and Ferriera had an onscreen chemistry "like fire and gasoline", and I think that sums it up well. Rush and Young are both unstable, and they are bringing out the worst in each other, and frankly, I'm having a grand ol' time watching it.

Pass the popcorn.
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                    See all previous discussions about the dangers of dialling another Milky Way gate.
                    All of that was total conjecture, indeed this scene invalidates it. If there was some danger that Rush knew about why didn’t he defend himself with that when O’Neill attacked him for not dialing the milky way gate?
                    Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                    First of all, are those deleted scenes from the SGU 1.0 DVD? Thanks for posting (for those of us who hadn't seen them).

I guess I would say, oh yes, Rush is more than a little unstable (the world "obsession" comes to mind). And Young has shown us that he can be pushed to be more than a little unstable himself (beating up a fellow officer? leaving someone to die?).

I read a review that said Carlyle and Ferriera had an onscreen chemistry "like fire and gasoline", and I think that sums it up well. Rush and Young are both unstable, and they are bringing out the worst in each other, and frankly, I'm having a grand ol' time watching it.

Pass the popcorn.
                    The scenes actually aren’t “deleted” per say, they were cut for time in the tv release and reinserted in a longer dvd cut. There were a few more but unfortuantly these are the only ones up on youtube.

As for Rush and Young imo they’re both as bad as each other and being around each other brings out the worst characteristics in both. However as characters they wouldn’t be half as much fun without one another and I think their conflict is a key part of the show. Like you I enjoy watching them squabble for power

Comment

The scenes actually aren’t “deleted” per say, they were cut for time in the tv release and reinserted in a longer dvd cut. There were a few more but unfortuantly these are the only ones up on youtube.
                      Oh, yes, sorry, the better term would be "extra scenes".
                      sigpic
                      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                        Oh, yes, sorry, the better term would be "extra scenes".
                        No need to apologise, for some reason the person who posted the vid labelled them as deleted scenes when they aren’t.

Comment

All of that was total conjecture, indeed this scene invalidates it. If there was some danger that Rush knew about why didn’t he defend himself with that when O’Neill attacked him for not dialing the milky way gate?
                          It's also pure conjecture that he dialed the 9th chevron for his own personal gain. Let's not pretend that there is proof on either side of the argument, because there is none.

As for Rush and Young imo they’re both as bad as each other and being around each other brings out the worst characteristics in both. However as characters they wouldn’t be half as much fun without one another and I think their conflict is a key part of the show. Like you I enjoy watching them squabble for power
                          Except, Rush doesn't want power - he wants to be left alone. It's interesting that he has to make a powerplay in order to try and get some work done though .
                          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

No need to apologise, for some reason the person who posted the vid labelled them as deleted scenes when they aren’t.
                            Technically they are deleted scenes. Any scene that does not make the initial release (which was the television broadcast) is deleted, irrespective of whether or not they are gobbled in at a later dates.

Comment

It's also pure conjecture that he dialed the 9th chevron for his own personal gain. Let's not pretend that there is proof on either side of the argument, because there is none.
                              Except, Rush doesn't want power - he wants to be left alone. It's interesting that he has to make a powerplay in order to try and get some work done though .
                              Whatever Rush’s motives, that scene clearly shows that saving the lives of the people on the base and returning them to earth was not on his agenda. As for Rush wanting power he clearly wants enough to do his “work,” you know get those pesky people to sit in dangerous chairs, that sort of thing.

Comment

Technically they are deleted scenes. Any scene that does not make the initial release (which was the television broadcast) is deleted, irrespective of whether or not they are gobbled in at a later dates.
                                Are you contractedly obliged to nitpick all of my posts? These aren’t just excised scenes that they decided to cut for creative reasons, this is more akin to the extended additions of Lord of the Rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X