This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
    Whats even more surprising that I would ever like anything SGU did was SGU actual have a story...that was MOST surprising at all.
    What wasn't surprising is that the presence of a story actually caused me to like the episode....who'da'thunk?
    I dunno, aside from the fact that SGU has always had a story, some of the more action-packed ones include "Air", "Light", "Time", and "Water".

If anything is surprising right now, it's that "Justice" is considered a "story" for you, but previous episodes (especially "Time" and "Light") were not
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

As a mid-season episode "Justice" wasn't as spectacular as other Stargate mid-seasoner's for my liking. Yet I still liked it.

What I really liked was the discovery of the ship, the ending with Young and Rush, but most importantly the end scenery with Rush looking up at the alien night sky. I guess that's just my penchant for pretty scifi visual's coming through.

The character scene's I liked most were, unsurprisingly for me, anything with Rush or Greer or Young. Yes, blatant fanboyism from me; these character's will never go wrong in my eye's That's not to say that the other character's or plot-points were bad, these just seem to appeal to me more.

Can't wait to see what happens with Rush and the ship, plus what happens to the scientist who sat in the Ancient repo chair.

So basically Justice lacked the "spectacular-ness" (if that's even a word) of a mid-season cliffhanger episode, but I was still entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
        Compared to Spencer, Greer's a saint. My problem was with you calling him the 'angry black man'. Tsk tsk. Perpetuating your own stereotypical views on angry people?
        Originally posted by Greer
        This is what they used to do to guys like me looking at white women the wrong way. I'm not going to hang back and let this go.
        Don't know what I was thinking. You must be right, I have a problem. Same time on the couch next week Doc?

Or wait... how about Greer is being written (lamely) as a stereotypical something or other and I am observant?
        Why can't the angry man be white?
        They can.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          I dunno, aside from the fact that SGU has always had a story, some of the more action-packed ones include "Air", "Light", "Time", and "Water".

If anything is surprising right now, it's that "Justice" is considered a "story" for you, but previous episodes (especially "Time" and "Light") were not
          Consistent Logic: Optional.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

We finally get to see the A game and it's comes with a month interlude....
            ...figures.
            It's what I dub the Dollhouse Syndrome. The producers are filled with overconfidence in what they produce, so they save the best for the last, thinking that the audience will stay til them. When it comes to bite them in the ass and the audience falls off, they blame other factors or spin the numbers.
            These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

All these episodes had a problem of some kind or some development of season long arcs. By that merit alone they are stories. Now good or bad is up to viewers
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                Nope, can't say that I have.
                Then why couldn't you put 2 & 2 together?

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                Yep. Why don't you time how much of the episode was spent showing those things. Heaven forbid, if I complained about some sex the math gurus would come out of the woodwork to tell exactly how long sex was on the screen for, percentage breakdown and all.
                They were either in a spaceship or on an alien planet the entire episode...
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

If by fact you mean, the scantest standard of a plot...I suppose you're right, sir.

Air 1-3 was a story...a thin one but a story.

Darkness was not a story
                  Light is a resolution to darkness. If an exposition is not a full story then a resolution on it's own isnt either.

Water: Another very thin story. Once again the characters couldn't find their way out of the paper bag.

I don't remember Earth.
                  Time was a story.
                  Life was not a story.

Comment

If by fact you mean, the scantest standard of a plot...I suppose you're right, sir.

Darkness was not a story
                    Light is a resolution to darkness. If an exposition is not a full story then a resolution on it's own isnt either.

Water: Another very thin story. Once again the characters couldn't find their way out of the paper bag.

I don't remember Earth.
                    Time was a story.
                    Life was not a story.
                    Do you even know what a story is?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

If by fact you mean, the scantest standard of a plot...I suppose you're right.

Darkness was not a story

I don't remember Earth.
                      Time was a story.
                      Life was not a story.
                      Well, it's a good thing I had an idea of what you considered a "story" then, as I never mentioned "Darkness", "Life" or "Earth".

As an interesting corollary, if "Light" is considered a proper resolution (albeit, not a story in and of itself to you), then you have to concede that "Darkness" and "Light" together (as they were a 2-parter) was a story as well.

So the issue lies less in what you consider "a story" and more what you consider good and/or bad. If so, then the miscommunication is resolved and I understand what you initially meant.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                        It's what I dub the Dollhouse Syndrome. The producers are filled with overconfidence in what they produce, so they save the best for the last, thinking that the audience will stay til them. When it comes to bite them in the ass and the audience falls off, they blame other factors or spin the numbers.
                        NICE.....
                        I'd say you were correct.
                        You may not agree with that...but for some reason I got the same sensation...(not as strong) from Babylon 5.

Comment

Well this was never supposed to be the mid-season episode. When "Fire" got split into "Darkness" and "Light" it pushed the whole schedual back an episode. We likely would have learned what happened in the first part of the midseason 2-parter. I actually prefer this to having a 1/2 episode with a 5 month interlude.....

Comment

Hello all, I am a first timer to this board but a long time SG fan, circa 1994.

At first, I worried that SGU was going to be a well budgeted but disgustingly "soapy" style sci-fi attempt. I now feel that it's just Stargate that has matured and am happy to have another window into that world.

IMO; Regarding the Eli comments - Eli is a sheltered soul. The kid has heart, but lacks life experience with which to tap into and marry with his genius. That said, if he had the years of SGC experience and some astrophysics background, he might have given Rush a run for his money as being considered the big brain on the ship.

Carlyle's is my favorite character in this series because of his depth being buried on the surface by his obsession with Destiny. I do have a tendency to dig the "evil genius" in the bunch. Being that he is a rather well-known actor, I can't see his tenure on the show being one season in length. I cannot seem to wrap my head around how he will return. I too hope that the writers come up with something more than the blatantly obvious routes to bring Rush back. I did however love the color, simplicity and shooting of the final frames. What an excellently sick and befitting "end" to Rush.

Anyone remember Begbie?

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                              Then why couldn't you put 2 & 2 together?

They were either in a spaceship or on an alien planet the entire episode...
                              Clever, but you know what I meant on both counts.

Comment

Well, it's a good thing I had an idea of what you considered a "story" then, as I never mentioned "Darkness", "Life" or "Earth".

As an interesting corollary, if "Light" is considered a proper resolution (albeit, not a story in and of itself to you), then you have to concede that "Darkness" and "Light" together (as they were a 2-parter) was a story as well.

So the issue lies less in what you consider "a story" and more what you consider good and/or bad. If so, then the miscommunication is resolved and I understand what you initially meant.
                                I thought it best that I give you complete concept of what episodes established an actual story rather than just a meandering narrative. I think standards are a good thing. I don't expect everyone to like the standards but at least I didn't make the standards.

I would say if this were any other series that Light and Darkness appear to be a parted story. However I have gotten the concept from the beginning of this series that this is rather the norm of the story telling method and if that's true then one must rely on the greater ensemble of episodes to watch, in other words the whole saga, rather than an episode.

24 Does this, but with far more effectiveness. The expositions are often so CLEAR and the Resolutions are equally clearly defined. It's much much harder to do with a character drama.

Comment

Working...
                                X