This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live from the very post you quoted
    Greer (angry black man apparently) and Scott ready/willing to (I guess) declare martial law, process be damned, establish power by force. Also , why does Greer speak like Christian Bale, and for that matter, why does Christian Bale need to speak like Christian Bale. Gritty.
    Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    Um... they're stranded out in the universe. Young has every right to be judge, jury, and executioner. Have you ever heard of "martial law"? God forbid the military is depicted as anything but angels who do no wrong...
    Nope, can't say that I have.

Comment

Um... they're stranded out in the universe. Young has every right to be judge, jury, and executioner. Have you ever heard of "martial law"? God forbid the military is depicted as anything but angels who do no wrong...
      agreed young does have the authority to decided these things
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
        Sigh. There are moments when I feel like the show might have something, and then without fail, something makes me wince every episode. Oh well...
        No episode is ever going to be perfect. I'm sure you realize that by now

So, more conduct unbecoming from the military. Young acting as judge, jury and executioner and for the second time in as many episodes beating someone up, this time a wuss scientist. What appears to be (thus far) becoming a murderer. Taking it upon himself to decide what should be done with the crew's possibly most valuable member.
        It's an interesting predicament. While I understand why Young did what he did, I don't look at it as the best course of action. Yes, Rush is actively and admittedly undermining Young's authority on the ship. Still, I'm not sure I think it's fair of Young to have done what he did. Perhaps there was a better way.

On the other hand, this way provides a much more dramatic tool for further storytelling.

Greer (angry black man apparently) and Scott ready/willing to (I guess) declare martial law, process be damned, establish power by force.
        I can't tell if you think this is a bad thing or good thing by the structure of your sentence. I'm going to assume you didn't like how they were so ready to take back control of the ship by force? If so, then I agree. On the plus side, I really liked how Lt. Scott reacted to Young's reasoning for not doing that.

We're slowly seeing how Scott has to encounter new situations and learn the best way to act in them. And it's cool to see that his rookie instinct is to forcefully take control, but the veteran (Young) knows better. Very interesting dynamic, I think, and I think it's especially prominent when Young says something to the effect of "If I had wanted to do it that way, I would." Young is a complex character for me, and I am not sure if I think he's a great leader or just has his great moments. Time will tell more.

Yay! Chloe has a purpose. Space lawyer That was the payday for all this 'character drama'? The 'trial' thing seemed forced. When they had the trial on BSG, I got it, I understood why, I understood why everyone acted the way they did. I don't get that here.
        Well, it wasn't really a trial if you ask me. Young wasn't even present in the "courtroom", as we saw him just listening in on the proceedings only to walk away through part of it. It was rather informal, and not really comparable to the reasoning behind the trial on BSG. They were vastly different circumstances, as well as procedures.

Finally, the tech. The chair and an alien ship got a small cameo in this episode. We don't know what the chair did, and we didn't see inside the alien ship. That has got to be some kind of sci-fi-entertainment equivalent of a ****block
        Indeed. I was actually hoping for something a bit more epic to happen when the final scene switched back to Rush waking up on that planet. On the plus side, it's almost a guarantee that something will come from both of those in the episode when SGU returns.
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

I can't say I agree with this, at least in context of his single-handed decision to strand Rush on that planet. Rush is not innocent, but Young could have thought his actions through a bit more in that instance.

Martial law has its place (albeit a small one), but I don't think any event that occurred throughout "Justice" would have warranted such, and we see this in Young's refusal to resort to such measures while the younger officers (i.e. Scott and Greer) seemed to think it was the better choice.

That said, I am definitely not mad that the writers went in this direction. In fact, I find it quite interesting both from a dramatic perspective and a character perspective (for Young) as well.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            Oh yes, Greer is an angry black man.
            Did you happen to catch what his reasoning to go all martial law and take over by force? Or did I imagine it?
            Forget that it was Young beating the snot out of civilians and that Greer didn't touch anybody, and hasn't since Water.
            Yeah, its been like a month and he hasn't beaten anyone. Give him a cookie.
            So even though the chair got used in this episode
            He sat in it. We didn't even get to see him do it and we don't know what it did.
            , the whole Kino deletion debacle
            Video editing is NOT Sci-Fi. He did it on his Mac
            , the alien ship, the Stargate use and all that... that was a small cameo?
            Yep. Why don't you time how much of the episode was spent showing those things. Heaven forbid, if I complained about some sex the math gurus would come out of the woodwork to tell exactly how long sex was on the screen for, percentage breakdown and all.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              It may be realistic, but I that doesn't mean that I want to watch it. These folks are on a race to the bottom while people are depending on them for their lives. They're not just flawed, they're appalling. You'd find more ethical behavior and better governance in a grade six student council.
              Of course you would. Children aren't nearly as cynical and corrupt as adults.

At this point the only main characters with any kind of moral compass and leadership potential are TJ, Eli and Chloe. That's just ridiculous. I seriously don't buy that more than 50% of any given group are this immoral.
              I envy your faith in humanity. Seriously.

Probes in the brain? Really? Wrist restraints? Bah! That had nothing to do with the Ancients, and everything to do with 'what can we do to make this look really awful?
              Probes? Restraints? Ancients?

Oh, that reminds me...

Comment

Sigh. There are moments when I feel like the show might have something, and then without fail, something makes me wince every episode. Oh well...

So, more conduct unbecoming from the military. Young acting as judge, jury and executioner and for the second time in as many episodes beating someone up, this time a wuss scientist. What appears to be (thus far) becoming a murderer. Taking it upon himself to decide what should be done with the crew's possibly most valuable member.

Greer (angry black man apparently) and Scott ready/willing to (I guess) declare martial law, process be damned, establish power by force. Also , why does Greer speak like Christian Bale, and for that matter, why does Christian Bale need to speak like Christian Bale. Gritty.

Yay! Chloe has a purpose. Space lawyer That was the payday for all this 'character drama'? The 'trial' thing seemed forced. When they had the trial on BSG, I got it, I understood why, I understood why everyone acted the way they did. I don't get that here.

Finally, the tech. The chair and an alien ship got a small cameo in this episode. We don't know what the chair did, and we didn't see inside the alien ship. That has got to be some kind of sci-fi-entertainment equivalent of a ****block
                First of all....

I agree with everything you said.
                Second...I have nothing more to add.

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                So is this strange, E.E. Cummings-esque narrative your way of saying you liked "Justice"?
                Whats even more surprising that I would ever like anything SGU did was SGU actual have a story...that was MOST surprising at all.
                What wasn't surprising is that the presence of a story actually caused me to like the episode....who'da'thunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post

Whats even more surprising that I would ever like anything SGU did was SGU actual have a story...that was MOST surprising at all.What wasn't surprising is that the presence of a story actually caused me to like the episode....who'da'thunk?
                  Maybe because SGU always had a story.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                    Correction: That's subjective.

Fact: Waiting for Space is going to be nuts.
                    We finally get to see the A game and it's comes with a month interlude....
                    ...figures.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      but it's going to be more long drawn out then previous series. and with rush being left on the planet it gto more interesting

Comment

Did you happen to catch what his reasoning to go all martial law and take over by force? Or did I imagine it?

Yeah, its been like a month and he hasn't beaten anyone. Give him a cookie.

He sat in it. We didn't even get to see him do it and we don't know what it did.

Video editing is NOT Sci-Fi. He did it on his Mac

Yep. Why don't you time how much of the episode was spent showing those things. Heaven forbid, if I complained about some sex the math gurus would come out of the woodwork to tell exactly how long sex was on the screen for, percentage breakdown and all.
                        I caught the martial law thing, thanks. I think he wasn't doing it out of anger, just what he saw as necessity.

Compared to Spencer, Greer's a saint. My problem was with you calling him the 'angry black man'. Tsk tsk. Perpetuating your own stereotypical views on angry people? Why can't the angry man be white?

Yeah fine, whatever. I will say that the time spent having sex on SGU is far less than the time taken for the fandom to type and post/***** about it.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          but it's going to be more long drawn out then previous series. and with rush being left on the planet it gto more interesting
                          I prefer the term complex but the fate of Rush is interesting. How will he get saved? Obviously the alien ship will be a factor.
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Always...no.
                            Today, yes...

Well now that you mention it maybe you're right...I should question that analysis shouldn't I. I mean really it's far too soon to say....the story isn't complete...it may end up like the SGU episodes before. The ship solving the problems or no resolution at all....

You're right, sir, I should hold off proclaiming it was finally a story in SGU.

Comment

I prefer the term complex but the fate of Rush is interesting. How will he get saved? Obviously the alien ship will be a factor.
                              how will he eat drink and survive the conditions. should be a interesting tale once he pops back

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                                how will he eat drink and survive the conditions. should be a interesting tale once he pops back
                                I want to see what kind of continued tension Young and Rush after this ordeal
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X