X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    which just further proves death wouldn't be certain
    That doesn't make any sense. If there was even a small chance that jumping to a planet would cause catastrophic damage to said planet, and thus occupants of the planet - one should not jump to that planet. There was another option, Rush took it. That's what makes sense, potentially sacrificing 80 for the majority is the greater good.

But at least jumping through the gate using the 9th chevron gave them a fighting chance - if only for a moment.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I refer you Jel, to my point that dragging a gate address of a known empty world, whilst under attack and threat of the planet blowing up, from memory wouldnt have been as simple as you make out. Sit and trawl though addresses until you get one, or go for the safest, quickest alternative.
      sigpic
      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
        They stayed, they died. They went through the gate to any uninhabitated world that is the unkown. Thus, cerain death vs unknown.
        And the hundreds of uninhabited planets we do know about
        Originally posted by Deevil View Post
        That doesn't make any sense. If there was even a small chance that jumping to a planet would cause catastrophic damage to said planet, and thus occupants of the planet - one should not jump to that planet. There was another option, Rush took it. That's what makes sense, potentially sacrificing 80 for the majority is the greater good.

But at least jumping through the gate using the 9th chevron gave them a fighting chance - if only for a moment.
        As far as we know the risk of gate jumping would be the same 9th chervon vs normal gating. It makes more sense to go to a known location then unknown.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

And the hundreds of uninhabited planets we do know about
          You mean the addresses no one would have likely known because that gate was not set up for exploration of other more 'local' planets?

As far as we know the risk of gate jumping would be the same 9th chervon vs normal gating. It makes more sense to go to a known location then unknown.
          Stargate canon tells me that this is not a known fact at all.

So, it does make sense if Rush had a legitimate concern to dial the 9th chevron.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

You mean the addresses no one would have likely known because that gate was not set up for exploration of other more 'local' planets?
            If only we have a database that differnate safe from unsafe and uninhabited from inhabited?
            Stargate canon tells me that this is not a known fact at all.

So, it does make sense if Rush had a legitimate concern to dial the 9th chevron.
            Then where does it say that gate jumping would be different from normal dialing from 9th? Unless proven otherwise its more reasonable to assume the status quo.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

If only we have a database that differnate safe from unsafe and uninhabited from inhabited?
              If only there was any reason for that information to even be present on Icarus.

Then where does it say that gate jumping would be different from normal dialing from 9th? Unless proven otherwise its more reasonable to assume the status quo.
              And the status quo that you keep on discussing is not as black and white as you pretend it to be. That status quo is neither status nor quo, as a whole multitude of stuff has messed with it and continues too.

Comment

If only there was any reason for that information to even be present on Icarus.
                I'm sure Rush has the ability to memorize countless addresses . I'm quite sure his brain could have remembered one or two safe places. It seems He had plenty of brain time to evaluate the situation he was in, and decide to do what was best for Rush.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

Oh come one some of them you'd know by memory. Any Milkyway Address would do.

Comment

Why would you memorise useless addresses of empty worlds? Any useful worlds, with minerals etc of any value would have research teams or camps, like in Enemy Mine. It would be useless to memorise an empty world of no value.
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Why would you memorise useless addresses of empty worlds? Any useful worlds, with minerals etc of any value would have research teams or camps, like in Enemy Mine. It would be useless to memorise an empty world of no value.
                      This is true...seems like a waste of brain power to commit useless addresses of works without resources to memory.
                      sigpic

Comment

Glad we agree on something!
                        sigpic
                        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

So they have a few addresses at hand in case the uique planet they are on will blow up and take the destination world with it.....yea. More likely they have emergency addresses to safe worlds with copius backup stored, just in case.
                          It would make sense to have the address to an uninhabited planet one could evac to if it were to dangerous to return earth, the alpha site on any other base. They've seen that explosions can travel through the gate before, plus there's always the risk of people being infected with contagions while travelling offworld, I'd say its very likely they keep a few uninhabited addresses handy for situations where people need to be evacuated but they cant risk anywhere else.

Comment

I know that would be the context you're working in but I'm just talking any other world except Earth. Even the Alpha cite would be better suited.

Comment

No, Saq, because then your risking the lives of hundreds of US scinece and military personnel if you go to Alpha site
                              sigpic
                              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

No, Saq, because then your risking the lives of hundreds of US scinece and military personnel if you go to Alpha site
                                So you have a backup empty world as I said. Can we maybe credit the personnel at the SGC with some intelligence? They aren't a bunch of idiots, as I said their are plenty of situations that might require them to evac a planet without risking anyone else, so you'd stick aside a deserted planet for that specific use.

Comment

Working...
                                X