• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag+1
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Telford +1

(Would have votet for Tamara, but alas, there's the baby issue in limbo...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kelara View Post
        Telford +1

(Would have votet for Tamara, but alas, there's the baby issue in limbo...)
        Sorry I should have said that this is assuming that all the characters are in a position to take command. In other words, alive and physically fit. If you meant that you don't think TJ will be psychologically fit because of having/losing/almost losing her baby then fair enough.

Oh and who is BAG? Brian Austin Green?
        "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
          Oh and who is BAG? Brian Austin Green?
          I'll pretend you didn't say that.

How can anyone be ignorant of BaldingAsianGuy
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Sorry I should have said that this is assuming that all the characters are in a position to take command. In other words, alive and physically fit. If you meant that you don't think TJ will be psychologically fit because of having/losing/almost losing her baby then fair enough.
            Heh, if you're asking for psychological fitness, then Young might disqualify as well (or just-out-of-brainwashing-Telford, for that matter). Don't make it too complicated .

But no matter, physiologically and psychologically the loss will hit too deep with TJ to put her in command just now. Much to my regret.

Comment

Per request, here's your poll

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...and-of-Destiny
              sigpic

Comment

thanks
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I'll pretend you didn't say that.

How can anyone be ignorant of BaldingAsianGuy
                  This sounds like a running joke that I am completely unaware of.

Thanks to the mod for putting up the poll on a seperate thread, but unfortunately it's not being taken as seriously as the ongoing discussion we've been having on this thread, with people suggesting temporary commanders, oh and the ship.
                  "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Yeah, I'm the first one to make a choose in the new created poll!

I voted for Camille! Surprise?

Reasons are easy to explain. I'm used to live under democratic structures, responsibilities to rule people should be in different hands.

The group as a whole should be under civilian authority. The military people keep their CO, which should be, IMO, shared between Telford (in case he'll make it in season 2) and Young, until Young is stable enough again to go in the first position like he was from the beginning. With a few exceptions (the first days on Destiny, the alien encounter, and now the LA) I don't see the necessity to keep the people on Destiny the whole time under the law of war. It is not necessary, even for a group of 70 something people, where the not military part is the majority.

Furthermore, we have a third party on Destiny, the scientists, who are part of the civilians, but with a competence of their own. Rush should be in charge for this team, because he's the most qualified person to do it.

All three parties, civilians, military, and scientists should also start to work together, they should make decisions together, not against each other. Every single one of the group has his/her competence to go that way. Camile Wray is able to lead the group as a whole, she can listen to people, she can compromise if necessary (the two men are not that good in doing this), from all the people we've seen so far, she's the one with the most experience to do the job.

To sum up: I go with separations of power, with a civilian leader.
                    sigpic

Comment

There's no 'None of the above' choice, which is mine.

* Col Everett Young (pyschologically unsound)
                      * Dr Nicholas Rush (would prefer to be in charge of the science team; not interested in much else)
                      * Camille Wray (wants to be in charge - see Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
                      * Lt Matthew Scott (too inexperienced)
                      * Eli Wallace (sure, if it's about video games, documentaries and spying, he's your guy)
                      * Lt Tamara Johanson (has no real authority now outside of being the medic)
                      * Col David Telford (untrustworthy)

The only possible choice of those on the ship (or not because he is everywhere) is BAG.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post

* Dr Nicholas Rush (would prefer to be in charge of the science team; not interested in much else)
                        * Eli Wallace (sure, if it's about video games, documentaries and spying, he's your guy)

The only possible choice of those on the ship (or not because he is everywhere) is BAG.
                        Thanks to the power that be (is) that has put a more limited poll at the top of this thread. I am glad that there is no "other" or "none of the above" because that is not an option that the Destineers themselves have, and that is exactly the kind of result that I am looking for.

The crew have to decide if having the wrong leader (in some circumstances) is worse than having no leader and they have to choose from the pool of personnel that they have available to them. It is obvious that Gen O'Neill would make a better commander, but that is not a practical option. Even if they were willing to tie up a communication stone and accept the power drain there would be times (like everytime they go in and out of FTL) that they would temporarily lose him, or maybe when he is saying "almost...wait for it, timing on this has to be just right...ready....fi- what the hells going on?"

So yeah, you may think that Young's mistakes make him due for replacement, but the question is not whether someone else could do a better job but whether someone else who is already there could do a consistantly better job.

Which also rules out deified dead people named after portable containers.

Comment

Thanks to the power that be (is) that has put a more limited poll at the top of this thread. I am glad that there is no "other" or "none of the above" because that is not an option that the Destineers themselves have, and that is exactly the kind of result that I am looking for.

The crew have to decide if having the wrong leader (in some circumstances) is worse than having no leader and they have to choose from the pool of personnel that they have available to them. It is obvious that Gen O'Neill would make a better commander, but that is not a practical option. Even if they were willing to tie up a communication stone and accept the power drain there would be times (like everytime they go in and out of FTL) that they would temporarily lose him, or maybe when he is saying "almost...wait for it, timing on this has to be just right...ready....fi- what the hells going on?"

So yeah, you may think that Young's mistakes make him due for replacement, but the question is not whether someone else could do a better job but whether someone else who is already there could do a consistantly better job.

Which also rules out deified dead people named after portable containers.
                          Except, these limitations were not mentioned in your original post about an election. Can't be adding rules when you don't get the answers you want. And if it's limited to people on Destiny, then why is Greer and Chloe and random redshirt number ten not there?

Comment

Point... if Eli makes the possible leaders list, Chloe, Volker, Park, James, Brody and even Becker could be on there as well. Oh yeah, Greer, well, for completeness' sake .

I'm also starting to wonder how many times this poll will be restarted. The vote for Tamara and at least one Wray vote was lost . Plus Telford (why is his name in italics anyway) was on par with Young when I voted in the last thing.

Edit: Ah, I see, we have now 2 quite similar votes going. That's a little confusing.
                            Last edited by Kelara; 24 June 2010, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post

What's wrong with Telford? Since being released from the brain washing he's shown why he was chosen to be the leader of the original expedition. He's competent, calm, collected and can think on his feet. Not likely that he's going to be put in charge in season 2, even if if survives his gunshot wound, he'd make things too easy for the crew. But of all the people at the end of season 2 he is most suited for command.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                                What's wrong with Telford? Since being released from the brain washing he's shown why he was chosen to be the leader of the original expedition. He's competent, calm, collected and can think on his feet. Not likely that he's going to be put in charge in season 2, even if if survives his gunshot wound, he'd make things too easy for the crew. But of all the people at the end of season 2 he is most suited for command.
                                I agree that he's the most suited but I don't think he's going to live and I get the feeling that he defers to Young in any case. If he did live, I can easily see it becoming much like it did on Icarus, with Young in charge of the base (Destiny) and Telford in charge of anyone going through the gate. But I don;t think the writers want anything nearly that clean
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X