This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    I know you have to respect what SGA did, but I understand bringing him back kinda ruined the whole drama to Carson dying in the first place. If you think about it, SGA was the only SG show to date to kill off a main character. Bringing him back is just a totally different discussion. I loved the Kindred, but did not care for him in Season 5 as much.

If they kill off a main in the next season or so, and leave them dead, I will be very impressed. But I don't think they will because of this fandom.
    I don't count that as killing off a main character due to chickening out and reviving them. Killing off a main character means they stay no resurrection machines
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I don't count that as killing off a main character due to chickening out and reviving them. Killing off a main character means they stay no resurrection machines
      I asked you to overlook the revive part and think about it. Well blame the fans and their petition not the creativity.

Just so we know we are on topic, we are talking about SGU killing off main characters, and if they will do it or not. So it makes it a more powerful cliffhanger if we think that no one is safe.
      sigpic

Comment

I know you have to respect what SGA did, but I understand bringing him back kinda ruined the whole drama to Carson dying in the first place. If you think about it, SGA was the only SG show to date to kill off a main character. Bringing him back is just a totally different discussion. I loved the Kindred, but did not care for him in Season 5 as much.

If they kill off a main in the next season or so, and leave them dead, I will be very impressed. But I don't think they will because of this fandom.
        I have to admit, Carson dying did not sit well with me because I liked him; so I was glad to see "him" back, but I can admit it lessened the effect of his death, which had the effect on me that the writer's were obviously going for. Weir's death and Ford's death weren't quite as well done, but they were "killed" and it worked decently. SG-1 had Janet dying.

Ironically, the "darker and edgier" SGU hasn't really killed a main person yet. The biggest so far being Senator Armstrong, but it was only his death that made me like him. They have yet to kill someone that people really liked before. Yes, I know, most shows, the main cast has plot armor, but that really needs to change.

If I were writing this, then the only "safe" people I'd have would be Rush, Eli, and Wray; that's it. Somewhere along the lines, I'd kill off people like Young, Scott, Greer, having them give their lives in the course of their duty. I'm tempted to kill off Brody or Volker, but they kinda have a "those two guys" vibe, and we're short on scientists as it is. I'd then have Varro step up as a second, with Wray taking charge. A changeover of military rule to civilian rule, which would really shake things up, and give Wray a chance to shine more. Young is just too.... depressive and stupid.

Instead, we get Red-shirt Rivers, and perhaps a red-shirt baby; which fails as an attempted shock value.

Comment

I asked you to overlook the revive part and think about it. Well blame the fans and their petition not the creativity.

Just so we know we are on topic, we are talking about SGU killing off main characters, and if they will do it or not. So it makes it a more powerful cliffhanger if we think that no one is safe.
          I can't. Killing off a main character has to stay dead for it to count for me. Like what they did to Janet.

We'll we know they aren't going to kill off the SGU main characters. Its just very rarelly is done in TV. Unless contracts become an issue
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I can't. Killing off a main character has to stay dead for it to count for me. Like what they did to Janet.

We'll we know they aren't going to kill off the SGU main characters. Its just very rarelly is done in TV. Unless contracts become an issue

Thats also the problem with this episode, there is no tension going into the next episode, cause they arent going to be killed in the 3rd part of a trilogy, and lets be honest, some of these characters need to be killed off, the quicker the better.
            Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
            Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by mparsons1981 View Post
              Thats also the problem with this episode, there is no tension going into the next episode, cause they are going to be killed in the 3rd part of a trilogy, and lets be honest, some of these characters need to be killed off, the quicker the better.
              I think too many people got shot. It should of been one person and shot by someone else. Like look at BSG, when Boomer shoots Adama. Did not see that coming, that was a WTF! type moment. With SGU, as soon as the crossfire happened in the Infirmary, I said, TJ is going down.

Like I said above, if Kiva shot TJ, that would of been WOW!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mparsons1981 View Post
                Thats also the problem with this episode, there is no tension going into the next episode, cause they arent going to be killed in the 3rd part of a trilogy, and lets be honest, some of these characters need to be killed off, the quicker the better.
                That can be said about any season finale though. We all know no one is going to kill Jack for example. And no I don't think any of the main cast needs to be killed off. They all bring their own dynamic. Some may need some more screentime. I'm looking at you TJ
                Jelgate is right

Comment

That can be said about any season finale though. We all know no one is going to kill Jack for example. And no I don't think any of the main cast needs to be killed off. They all bring their own dynamic. Some may need some more screentime. I'm looking at you TJ
                  What about Greer? He has become wallpaper. It's funny about Greer, I actually now hate him, and like Scott now. Scott stood up to Young, where as Greer is Young's puppet. I also loved Rush's comment when someone was killed. Young got upset but he was thinking the same thing as Rush. So these characters have their moments. Sadly some have them more than others.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think too many people got shot. It should of been one person and shot by someone else. Like look at BSG, when Boomer shoots Adama. Did not see that coming, that was a WTF! type moment. With SGU, as soon as the crossfire happened in the Infirmary, I said, TJ is going down.

yes i agree, that was a great cliffhanger, because it was unexpected and at odds with the scene so to that point.

There was nothing unexpected about this episode, and unlike adama none of the characters are that well done for me to care.

Of course, i am bias about galactica...
                    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

What about Greer? He has become wallpaper. It's funny about Greer, I actually now hate him, and like Scott now. Scott stood up to Young, where as Greer is Young's puppet. I also loved Rush's comment when someone was killed. Young got upset but he was thinking the same thing as Rush. So these characters have their moments. Sadly some have them more than others.
                      I disagree. With that assessment of being wallpaper. He has his scenes of standing out and saying what he believes in. Thats not wallpaper to me
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I'd green you for mentioning my favorite season finale ever, but I can't Still, kudos. I also agree with you, had it been Kiva who had for some reason suddenly turned around and shot TJ in the belly out of anger or something, now that would have gotten to me a bit more. But she got shot by one of her own men, and a stupid man at that. I re-watched that scene many times, and every time it strikes me that the guy never thought about his own people in the room and how he shot all of them along with the enemy. Sure, he maybe thought they were all going to be executed, but still.

We know everyone will survive in the main cast, so there's not much suspense. In First Strike, I'm not sure if we knew that Higginson was out as a main cast member, when it aired. But that would have made it a lot less sure that she survived, and well at that time it was a bigger cliffhanger to me. Not as much as say, Crossroads Part II from BSG, or the scene Brigante mentioned. But still very well done.

Comment

I do agree in that greer has become the most interesting character alongside rush in the series.

Getting away from episode discussion but characters that i would keep are,

Eli, Rush, Greer, Young, TJ,

Everyone else can be blown up for all i care.

Comment

Originally posted by Utitan View Post
                            Did they seriously Just kill TJ??? Chloe too??!! I cant effin believe it just ended like that... with you still on the edge of your frackin chair!! No That wasn't fair at all.. brilliant writing. And one big HooRah to the marine blasting everyone.. maybe except for TJ. I'm damn glad Kiva got one, looks like her replacement is worse.
                            No. They didn't kill TJ. She's either wounded or has somebody else's blood on her and passed out from some kind of shock. She did tell Varro she was very tired ... before the shooting started. And she was shown on an infirmary bed in the previews.

Originally posted by SciFiRick View Post
                            More likely TJ will survive but lose the baby. Chloe just passing out due to blood loss. I thought the bald guy was more a body guard, follower and killer “on command” and then he takes command? I didn't see that coming. Of course he is almost as evil as Kiva so maybe nobody would dare challenge him. Varro would have been the one I would have expected to take charge especially since we know now that his recuperative powers are off the scale. It seems to me that would make him super human or he is a snake head.
                            Maybe they'll have a face-off for control and Varro will win. I'm thinking he'll stop Young & Co. from being killed.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            WEll, we know Telford is dead, as that LA guy felt his neck and left him there..
                            No. Not dead. The LA guy felt for a pulse and did walk away. But I don't think the LA care about Telford, since they seemed to gather around Kiva and carried her to the infirmary. If Telford was dead, they would have left him there, and yet he wound up on the floor in the infirmary. So somebody dragged him in there and left him on the floor.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            He also played the Gou'ald hired Bounty hunter in an earlier ep of SG1.. forgot the eps name.
                            That would be SG1, Season 10, "Bounty".

He also played a Russian officer in SG1, Season 8, "Full Alert".

Comment

That's what I absolutely loved about 24. It's the only show I can think of, where TRULY nobody but Jack Bauer was safe. Main cast characters died all the time, almost every season. You couldn't possibly know who was going to survive or die, because unlike Stargate or other shows, 24 show runners were never afraid to kill anyone and nobody was safe. And heck, they were pretty damn creative when it came to ways to kill main characters off. It's fun to see red shirts die, but it's simply not the same.
                              Last edited by Demerzel; 12 June 2010, 09:08 AM. Reason: Removed spoiler

Comment

Gotta say, that First Strike was much more of a cliffhanger, because you really thought Weir was not going to make it since the actress did not sign onto the next season as a full time cast member. Heck was chatting with Alaina Huffman tonight,
                                Spoiler:
                                and she will be back full time next season, lol.

The baby, I don't think will make it.
                                While normally I would let it slide, I want to ask you to please spoiler tag stuff like this. You casually revealed a major plot point that I was on the edge of my seat waiting to be resolved. But now I know how it turns out <_<

Thanks.
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X