Young is Clearly Not a Villain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
    Indeed, something Rush reminded him of later. He let his feelings for a friend that he just regained get in the way.
    So then do you think he believes in 'the greater good' or not? You seem to want to have it both ways now.

Perfecto!

Comment

So then do you think he believes in 'the greater good' or not? You seem to want to have it both ways now.
      rofl, what are you talking about? All I've been doing is relating to you exactly what Young has been doing for the past two episodes. My thoughts on Young's perspective are being guided by what he says and does. In Subversion he claims to Telford that it would be ok if he died and Rush died because it would be for the greater good. In the very next ep we see that when that axiom is truly put to the test, Young is not able to go through with it, a theme perpetuated in the episode by his shouting match with Rush and the scolding he gets from Jack. If you want to interrogate someone about having it both ways, ask Young, since that is want he is trying to do in the episode.

The comment itself I made with relation to his treatment of Rush, since based on what he has done to Rush both directly and indirectly even up until recently, tells me that while he may suspend the 'greater good' reasoning for his friends, he will not do it for Rush. Rush is only spared by virtue of the fact that Telford was at risk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
        rofl, what are you talking about? All I've been doing is relating to you exactly what Young has been doing for the past two episodes. My thoughts on Young's perspective are being guided by what he says and does. In Subversion he claims to Telford that it would be ok if he died and Rush died because it would be for the greater good. In the very next ep we see that when that axiom is truly put to the test, Young is not able to go through with it, a theme perpetuated in the episode by his shouting match with Rush and the scolding he gets from Jack. If you want to interrogate someone about having it both ways, ask Young, since that is want he is trying to do in the episode.

The comment itself I made with relation to his treatment of Rush, since based on what he has done to Rush both directly and indirectly even up until recently, tells me that while he may suspend the 'greater good' reasoning for his friends, he will not do it for Rush. Rush is only spared by virtue of the fact that Telford was at risk as well.
        His use of the term 'the greater good' seems to be more to make viewers think Young is venting the atmo as some sort of torture to get information than anything the character meant. But he never intended to permanently kill Telford, he was trying to unbrainwash him. What you're talking about is actually killing two members of his crew (so he thought) for 'the greater good' which is clearly something he's not comfortable doing, hence why he turned down the opportunity to lead the Destiny mission in the first place.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
          No one but Rush and Telford knew that the stones connections were severed when Telford's body came through the gate.

TJ knew Rush was back in his body. I found it odd that she didn't get on the radio and inform Young about it.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

What you're talking about is actually killing two members of his crew (so he thought) for 'the greater good' which is clearly something he's not comfortable doing, hence why he turned down the opportunity to lead the Destiny mission in the first place.
            No, what I'm talking about is justification for hypothetical consequences. When he vented the atmosphere, he did so with the intention of undoing brainwashing which he couldn't be absolutely certain Telford was under. He took a major risk there and he bet the lives of both Telford and Rush on the Telford that he remembered as his friend. Had he been wrong, he would either have a dead friend or a true to life traitor on his hands. He could base that gamble in the first place on a greater good line of reasoning, where he'd risk his friend's life to not only save him by try and thwart the alliance. He wouldn't have to be comfortable with the gamble (who would when the stakes are two lives) but he could certainly feel justified. There in lies the paradox between Subversion and Incursion, he could roll the dice once, but when he knew he had his friend back, he couldn't do it a second time. Like I said earlier, based on his actions up till now, I very much doubt Rush factored significantly in that equation, since Telford was the only thing that had changed. You are welcome to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
              TJ knew Rush was back in his body. I found it odd that she didn't get on the radio and inform Young about it.
              a lack of time?
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                She didn't have a chance. Rush rushed out and she was promptly captured trying to stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                  She didn't have a chance. Rush rushed out and she was promptly captured.
                  Her running after Rush pissed me off almost as much as Teyla stepping out on the ledge in Quarantine. I'm mean seriously, you're prego stay put!

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                    Her running after Rush pissed me off almost as much as Teyla stepping out on the ledge in Quarantine. I'm mean seriously, you're prego stay put!
                    I bet you just ticked off quite a bit of women.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Lolz, well I mean when there's people with guns shooting every where don't go running toward them. I don't mean to be sexist but if you're pregnant you shouldn't be in the line of fire like that.

Perfecto!

Comment

young's never been the villain
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          To me part of what makes this show so interesting is that fact that both Rush and Young, the shows two primary protagonists, have ventured very close to villain territory.

Perfecto!

Comment

To me part of what makes this show so interesting is that fact that both Rush and Young, the shows two primary protagonists, have ventured very close to villain territory.
                            With Rush stepping into it a few times
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Ticked me off
                              Being pregnant doesn't make you incapable

Lolz, well I mean when there's people with guns shooting every where don't go running toward them. I don't mean to be sexist but if you're pregnant you shouldn't be in the line of fire like that.
                              she's in the line of fire just being on the ship at all. Plus, she's armed. She IS the line of fire

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              Green
                              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                                Ticked me off
                                Being pregnant doesn't make you incapable

she's in the line of fire just being on the ship at all. Plus, she's armed. She IS the line of fire
                                *sigh* whatever, sorry for offending, I just don't want to see the baby get hurt. Excuse me. I really didn't mean to imply being pregnant makes you incapable.

Perfecto!

Comment

Working...
                                X