Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telford (no spoilers for 1.20 or beyond, please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I love that SGU has a huge supporting cast.
    The overly large supporting cast is the biggest weakness, imo. Don't you feel some of the characters are just shoehorned in just because it's on their contracts?

SGU in season 1 already has 7.5/8 main credits (not too sure on Ming Na, since she was recurring in the first half of the season), in addition to the likes of James, Brody, Volker, Park AND actual guest stars. Too many characters get lost in the shuffle for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
      The overly large supporting cast is the biggest weakness, imo. Don't you feel some of the characters are just shoehorned in just because it's on their contracts?

SGU in season 1 already has 7.5/8 main credits (not too sure on Ming Na, since she was recurring in the first half of the season), in addition to the likes of James, Brody, Volker, Park AND actual guest stars. Too many characters get lost in the shuffle for my liking.
      On one hand I like the big cast, but on the other hand I wish Greer could get more screen time.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
        On one hand I like the big cast, but on the other hand I wish Greer could get more screen time.
        My point exactly. Too little screentime/character development time to go around.

An actor of LDP's calibre shouldn't be added to the cast full time if he's just going to be shuffling about in the background with the other mooks. Maybe a Ming Na like contract where he gets a decent billing only if he's involved heavily in a storyline, but not a full time contract. Either way will deprive the already under developed characters, but I could live with keeping fringe characters fringe, or doing less with Rush/Young story for the next season.

Comment

Not in the least, no.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I wonder if Telford would take over in the interrim, if Young was killed or put out of action for a while by the LA.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              I love that SGU has a huge supporting cast.
              As long as they don't end up going the Lost route and killing them all off at the beginning of a season to cut costs.

Comment

Gotta disagree here. By Carter's initial count in Air, there were 80+ MIA from Icarus. That's a large number of people on Destiny. Should the show act like there are only 5-10 actual people on the ship while the rest just pop in and out?

The fact that the supporting cast does more than simply feed lines or ideas to the main cast is a great way to bring the experience to life.
                Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

There are already too many ppl on the cast. No need for another useless character contributing to the drama. And seriously anyone being brainwashed doesn't deserve a command post any time soon.

My bet is he will die with the rest of the LA

I can't believe it ending up in some kind alliance with some remaining LA ppl. Just can't.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                    Gotta disagree here. By Carter's initial count in Air, there were 80+ MIA from Icarus. That's a large number of people on Destiny. Should the show act like there are only 5-10 actual people on the ship while the rest just pop in and out?
                    Yes. They did it with Wray for the first half of the season, until they started to actually use her for the mutiny storyline. I don't see why the other suplerfluous cast members can't be reduced until they're actually using them for something useful for the plot.

There have been times where Blue, Levesque, Huffman, Na, hell, everyone except Ferreira and Carlyle seemed to have been shoehorned into the episode and take away screentime from the actual plot, even if they only steal 30 seconds a piece (and that's only the names on the main credits).

The fact that the supporting cast does more than simply feed lines or ideas to the main cast is a great way to bring the experience to life.
                    A rich supporting cast is fine, but in an ensemble of 8, stories that only focus on 2 or 3 make everyone else glorified extras. Hammond and Landry are great supporting characters, as were Keller and Beckett (and begrugingly, Weir). They had stories given to them, and roles to play, but in 15 seasons, 312 episodes, how many were given to them? 10-11 combined? How will this play out with nearly everyone on the main credits filling this "supporting" role? There have already been rumblings that characters aren't memorable or comparatively underdeveloped, and it'll only get worse as SGU becomes Stargate: Carlyle and Ferreira, with Na and LDP.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                      I said very early on that Telford would probably be easier to deal with than Young.
                      plus as telford said early on he would be more focused on getting everyone home.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        plus as telford said early on he would be more focused on getting everyone home.
                        So anyone want to place bets on how long until Rush frames Telford for murder?
                        sigpic
                        Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                          So anyone want to place bets on how long until Rush frames Telford for murder?
                          Lolz, he might do worse, I have a feeling based off of their scene in Earth that Rush dislikes Telford even more than he does Young.

Perfecto!

Comment

Lolz, he might do worse, I have a feeling based off of their scene in Earth that Rush dislikes Telford even more than he does Young.
                            I got the feeling that quite a few of the scientists weren't that fond of Telford
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              I got the feeling that quite a few of the scientists weren't that fond of Telford
                              How so? I didn't really pick that up.

Perfecto!

Comment

How so? I didn't really pick that up.
                                It comes mostly in later episodes when Telford returns to the Destiny. Just in the way he barks at them (which seems different than the way that Young barks at them, ). Then you've got Brody who was willing to work with Young to not only get Telford off the ship (Darkness, I believe) and later on, to deal with Telford in the most recent episode. It's a general feeling, something completely subjective and body language related that probably doesn't translate well to descibing in a post like this one.
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X