Stargate at Icarus Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killman,

I don't recall a physical sheild at Icarus. I do remember a mention of an "anti-beaming sheild.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
      Why is it that humans in the SG universe never learn? How many off world bases in both SG1 and Atlantis were compromised that were supposedly secret?
      Just like things here on our earth are done that way continually. A mind block..

Comment

A mind block for every single person working in the SGC and at the Icarus base? If I was stuck on a planet lightyears from earth I'd sure as hell consider the possibility of being blown apart from orbit and take measures to prevent it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyrogue View Post
          It wouldn't have been the gate being programmed but the DHD. So it could be possible that a DHD may have been on the planet. But i doubt it.
          There was a DHD on the planet. You see it in Air pt1, they just don't use it.SG bases use there own bypass systems to dial gates. Eli took a picture in front of the DHD, you can see it in him stargate.MGM.com blog.

Comment

So it would be something in the gate that would need to be modified to prevent incoming wormholes connecting.
            This would have come in handy when the Goa'ulds were spamming the stargate in earlier episodes of SG-1.

Comment

A mind block for every single person working in the SGC and at the Icarus base?
              Look at how many times their off world bases got hit, or teams doing the same old same old got hit.. mental blocks showing (well to me) that they just did not learn from prior mistakes.

Comment

Well it just wouldn't be Stargate if the humans were not the underdogs. The underprepared weaklings getting hammered by superior aliens.

Comment

With a planet as unstable as Icarus, there's not much a shield is going to do.

And the incoming wormholes weren't disabled as a security measure, they were disabled as a SAFETY measure. I.E. Incoming Wormhole = initial power surge coming in from another gate. That surge could be enough to destabilize the Icarus core. Keep in mind that the whole freaking planet was a naturally occurring Naquadriah reactor.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin's_Legacy View Post
                    With a planet as unstable as Icarus, there's not much a shield is going to do.

And the incoming wormholes weren't disabled as a security measure, they were disabled as a SAFETY measure. I.E. Incoming Wormhole = initial power surge coming in from another gate. That surge could be enough to destabilize the Icarus core. Keep in mind that the whole freaking planet was a naturally occurring Naquadriah reactor.
                    Incoming wormholes draw power from the offworld source, so that shouldn't be a problem. The power would only affect the gate itself. It would be dialling out that was dangerous.

Comment

Incoming wormholes draw power from the offworld source, so that shouldn't be a problem. The power would only affect the gate itself. It would be dialling out that was dangerous.
                      not if the power source on the other end was interupted and if the gate on the other end malfunctioned or had to draw more energy than usual (say if it were struck by weapon fire - SG:1 - Solitudes) then the core could become unstable.

and there wasnt a shield as such, as far as im concerned, more of an EM field to stop people and things from being beamed out from within the base.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        more of an EM field to stop people and things from being beamed out from within the base.
                        Unless they have upgraded, the EM field was only a jamming device for transmitters. The beams could still work but they were beaming blind. But if they knew the exact layout and have the blue prints for the base, they could randomly beam everything out of a room if they wanted to.

Comment

Was it the attack that caused the core to go critical or using the gate to draw power from the planet's core?
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            Was it the attack that caused the core to go critical or using the gate to draw power from the planet's core?
                            probably both.

Comment

escyos,

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              probably both.
                              Okay, so, without the attack and just the Stargate dialing the 9th Chevron the core would have had no problem. Contrawise without the stargate being dialed and just the attack the core wouldn't have gone critical? I'm suprised Young was so willing to give up the base and all it's equipment without a fight. Assuming the base was properly layed out for defense he could have bled the enemy force in the tunnels for quite a while until reinforcements from Earth arrived to deal with the forces in orbit.

That said I do agree the orbital defenses seem to have been poorly thought out.

Comment

I reckon the space defenses were appropriate for what I suspect they were trying to do. Daniel from Rush's memory mentions that the planet was a tip off from a source in the LA, but that there is a small mining installation there. I suspect that Earth captured Icarus but continued the small mining outpost appearances so as not to draw attention. That would mean they'd have to keep their fleet presence in the area to a minimum and make the planet appear relatively quiet. The ruse would be proven quite successful to if no one had bothered them for 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X