This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petra View Post
    So I finally sat down and watched "Human" and I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. I thought it was a very average episode, much weaker than the previous 3.
    Now thats just not fair. You can't really compare this episode to three action orientated ones! Liking/engaging with Rush aside, if you compare this "character" episode to other character episodes like Earth or Life (and maybe even Time), it comes out ahead of the pack in the quality of the writing.

True, it may not be on par with the best of SGU, but IMO, calling this episode average does no justice for the performance Carlyle put on, nor the quality of the non-planetside scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
      Wrong time of year for it anyway. All the major awards shows have past, even if a sci-fi show had the off chance of being recognised.
      That is why i said Next years awards.

No "awkward scene" of her breaking it to Young (or others on the ship that she has not yet told) that she was pregnant.
      Maybe she is waiting to tell him..

Eli on the otherhand has equasions and solutions come to him naturally without even having to do much thinking. Only he lacks the motivation and determination.
      Which makes me wonder how much more smarter he might be if the SG program got to him earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        That is why i said Next years awards.
        The performance is then too early to be noticed for next year's awards. If you look at films that are nominated, for example, for Academy Awards they're always released in the second half of the year. Same with nominated television episodes/performances. Attention spans are short in Hollywood - if that is, that Stargate is eligible for a nomination being a Canadian show and all.

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        Anybody catch the name of the guy that played the blond student in Rush's class (the one who answered the question about Shor's Algorithm)? There are no extras for the ep listed on IMDb or GW...
        He's apparently someone from Riese the Series. A producer? I read it somewhere, maybe on Twitter.

ETA: Wormholeriders says his name is Kristian Arye.
        Last edited by EllieVee; 25 April 2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The performance is then too early to be noticed for next year's awards. If you look at films that are nominated, for example, for Academy Awards they're always released in the second half of the year. Same with nominated television episodes/performances. Attention spans are short in Hollywood - if that is, that Stargate is eligible for a nomination being a Canadian show and all.
          It is. Shows are classified where they air first not where produced. Stargate is an American show over a Canadian because it boradcasts on the US first before Canada. In fact many shows (including primetime) are made in Canada but air in US first.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Interesting, thanks, Jelgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
              Definetly not something that ingratiates you to sci-fi viewers, in fact its a little ugly imo.
              Perhaps we shouldn't speak on behalf of the entire sci-fi fanbase. We are, after all, a group of individuals...

Comment

The only problem I have with the episode, aside from the C4 misuse, is that the chair is all of a sudden usable. WTF? They have a short scene about how they use the computer to buffer the information going in like they could have done this all along but didnt, dont you think that guy is gonna feel like a complete moron if/when he wakes up? He's gonna be like, "Man I guess I should have waited a couple weeks or done a little more research before I sat in a chair that has always proven to be an almost certain death sentence."

Personally I didnt have a problem with the two stories being mixed together, I mean I dont wanna watch a whole episode about Rush ignoring his dying wife, we all know him as heartless and I think this is supposed to be him taking steps to becoming better or something. So we get to hate him more during this and then we get to love him later on. If you make the audience hate him so much its beyond repair then you defeat the purpose of the entire episode.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyScars View Post
                  The only problem I have with the episode, aside from the C4 misuse, is that the chair is all of a sudden usable. WTF? They have a short scene about how they use the computer to buffer the information going in like they could have done this all along but didnt, dont you think that guy is gonna feel like a complete moron if/when he wakes up? He's gonna be like, "Man I guess I should have waited a couple weeks or done a little more research before I sat in a chair that has always proven to be an almost certain death sentence."
                  I think the implication was that they were working on it between scenes the whole time, but there was no reason to bring that up in any detail until now. Who knows, maybe what happened the first time provided them with the data they needed to perfect the buffering process.

Also, we should remember that Rush essentially psyched up the whole staff about the possibility of getting home with that chair. I don't think the guy was in his right state of mind when he decided to use it. He was desperate and just wanted to go home.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyScars View Post
                    He's going to especially feel like a moron when he remembers he told Eli that Rush was working on a program. This is clearly it but perhaps you forgot about that scene.

Personally I didnt have a problem with the two stories being mixed together, I mean I dont wanna watch a whole episode about Rush ignoring his dying wife, we all know him as heartless and I think this is supposed to be him taking steps to becoming better or something. So we get to hate him more during this and then we get to love him later on. If you make the audience hate him so much its beyond repair then you defeat the purpose of the entire episode.
                    I just love the way probies come in and speak for all of fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      He didn't have a name. A person that minimal will be in the end credits
                      That's what I meant

He's apparently someone from Riese the Series. A producer? I read it somewhere, maybe on Twitter.

ETA: Wormholeriders says his name is Kristian Arye.
                      Thanks Ellie
                      sigpic

Comment

I just love the way probies come in and speak for all of fandom.
                        Hey now... People can't help when they signed up... Well actually they can, but you know what I'm getting at.

Personally I found the episode average. And I actually enjoyed Chloe in this episode. Scott was sort of a background character, which served him well, Greer didn't get as much on my nerves as he usually does, something that actually goes for most characters in this episode, which I guess is an improvement, lol! The only exception is Eli. Man what a snivelling, *****y little man-boy he's turning out to be. That scene where he sits away from Chloe in the mess, and then acts like a pissed off high school girlfriend when she comes over to talk to him, absolutely takes the prize as worst emo-hissy fit of the year.

I'm expecting a storyline about how Eli cuts himself, cause it feels so good when it hurts, any day now.
                        (Would also be a great way to showcase Youngs fatherly side)

Comment

You call that a hissy fit? All he did was sit there and say very little in a somewhat annoyed tone.

Comment

Originally posted by vszulc View Post
                            Hey now... People can't help when they signed up... Well actually they can, but you know what I'm getting at.

Personally I found the episode average. And I actually enjoyed Chloe in this episode. Scott was sort of a background character, which served him well, Greer didn't get as much on my nerves as he usually does, something that actually goes for most characters in this episode, which I guess is an improvement, lol! The only exception is Eli. Man what a snivelling, *****y little man-boy he's turning out to be. That scene where he sits away from Chloe in the mess, and then acts like a pissed off high school girlfriend when she comes over to talk to him, absolutely takes the prize as worst emo-hissy fit of the year.

I'm expecting a storyline about how Eli cuts himself, cause it feels so good when it hurts, any day now.
                            (Would also be a great way to showcase Youngs fatherly side)
                            I don't think Young does Eli much good anymore. At first I thought he'd kind of get him into shape, physically and mentally. But that hasn't happened. Since Young took Eli under his wing, Eli has gotten worse, not better, because he is busy trying to please someone else. He reacts to emergencies and pulls out his brain for them, but otherwise, he can't be bothered. Too busy being a child, still. Rush so far has refused to order Eli about much. He's tried, and can see that Eli is not interested in applying himself much, despite the grave situation they are all in. Eli is disillusioned with Rush; he will eventually be disillusioned with Young (what it will take, who knows?) Once Eli is not living his life strictly on the whims of Chloe, Young, Rush, or anyone else specifically, maybe he can start to grow up. Hope that time comes soon, I've also had it with his childishness. All the other characters are growing, even ones that are less central than him. I'm eager to see the writers move Eli forward in a meaningful way, not just telling us who he's decided to whine about this week.

Comment

A passive aggressive hissy fit. It's not often a grown man can channel a high school girl like that, but Eli pulls it off effortlessly. I was expecting him to go "And mark my words... You'll NEVER get on the cheerleading squad!" any moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                                His attitude (and much of it so far on SGU) was very reminiscent Aiden when he said to Mckay:

Definetly not something that ingratiates you to sci-fi viewers, in fact its a little ugly imo.
                                BINGO.
                                That's a good word for it. Ugly.
                                You're in a tense situation and he thinks its a good time to drive a wedge further between him and the militar and this one civilian was ON his side.
                                Greer just comes off Jerkish some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X