Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vapor:
    Re: Wray's behavior

I honestly feel like Wray was genuinely a bit oblivious in that scene talking to TJ.

To me, she seemed to being asking honestly if they could trust Rush because she really wasn't sure, and for whatever reason, she didn't even realize that she was talking to someone that they were holding in a room during the mutiny. It's as if Wray forgot for a moment that there might still be tension between them.

I think Wray enjoys the idea of being in control, but she also fears the idea of having to make the big decisions when she finally is. I don't think she's quite as eager to seize command as some people make her out to be. She's still a person, confused and motivated in part by her fear of what may happen next.
    I agree with everything Vapor has said.
    My interpretation of Wrays behavior over the course of the episode:

Wray has accepted she needs to work alongside Young to help command the ship. Therefore, her conversation with TJ was in earnest. Wray was used in Divided by Rush, so the conversation was interpreted as: 'hey, since we're working together now and we both know Rush is a schemer, what do you think about him?'. I think the conversation was really Wray trying to rebuild connections.

In divided, she identified Eli as the key to bringing Military and Civilians together, and since she is now working with Young instead of against him, the friendship between them is a logical way to build those relationships. If Eli, the most civilian of them all, has aligned himself more with the military, then obviously they're doing something right in his mind. Wray has identified this, and is now trying to share that understanding and perspective.

When Eli says he 'sneaked' the Kiwi fruit from the stores and offers to share it with Wray, it was evident it was not the Destiny-Wray we know, she gave in to her moral code and did something the old wray wouldn't have done: sneak behind everyone's backs for her own good. The old Wray would have responded with 'this is irresponsible and unacceptable and unfair, i'm going to report you Eli and return that to the stores'. But this one accepted the fact that its really not that bad.

When Young was able to go down to the planet and return with everyone by himself, Wray would have seen just how much influence Young actually has despite everything.

Best episode for teamwork so far imo. It was refreshing and most of all EXCITING to see Young Rush and Wray cooperating so well. It really enhanced the story.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

If Wray was as conniving as people thinks she is, she'd seduce Eli, and use that leverage to woo him over to her side. He would be easier to control than Rush, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
        I'm puzzled and intruiged by Wray's behavior this episode. In the beginning, her asking TJ if she thinks that Rush can be trusted. Considering "Divided" and the fact that TJ has already made her opinion on Rush known, I can't imagine why Wray did this. I don't think she asked the question out of honest curiosity.
        I agree, she asked because she wanted to make it look like she was not associated with those decisions in TJ's eyes. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for her to be coy.

I also was intruiged by the seeming start of a friendship between Eli and Wray. I wouldn't have thought them a likely pair, but then, neither are Chloe and Rush. Does anyone else suspect that Wray is getting close to Eli because she learned last episode just how central he is to the entire situation aboard Destiny?

Is she scheming for her next power grab?
        I believe this is EXACTLY what she is doing, getting in on Eli's good side because she now sees that this "boy" is a powerful pawn in her game to utilise.

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

TJ: *glare* You tell me.
          TJ is worried about her baby, so the on board politics must be annoying her considerably.

Comment

I've read enough novels to know the type. I like Wray and how her character is being handled, but despite that, I know that a true schemer plays every side. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." So she'd ask Rush about Young, and ask TJ about Rush, and ask someone else about someone else. Presenting a slightly different side to each, to get a proper handle on the situation, so you can best manipulate it to your advantage.

I don't think Wray goes too far, but she's trying to get a better handle on the situation. Information is power, so the more you can get, even from "enemies", the better off you are.

Comment

I think maybe Wray finally realized that there will be no "supreme leader". When they showed her at the beginning playing with her mush, she seemed depressed. She's gotten played a few times now (by Young and Rush with their little escapades), and she's a bit lost as to what to do now. It isn't as cit and dried as she thought it might be.

She's still human and I think she needs and wants a friend now. She went to TJ first I think, she has some history with her, TJ kinda shut her down. Eli was a surprise for her, she didn't expect that and it was a nicely played scene.
              Last edited by mere earthling; 17 April 2010, 08:47 AM.
              SGU fangirl

Comment

I agree that Wray feels used by Rush. But, as he pointed out, the whole thing was her idea. She sought him out (at least, that's how I interpreted it) at the end of "Space." She was the one proposing a 'next time' to someone who had just been nearly killed by Young. She used him, and his situation, to galvinize the citizens into action. Both used the other as a means to their seperate ends. They were allies of convenience. Proof in my mind that Wray is playing any side she can to achieve her goals, proof that Rush can and will do the very same thing. Wray may indeed have the best interests of the civilians at heart, but I'm not convinced of that yet. Rush has the Destiny's fate at heart, and in "Divided" he also had his own problem with the implant to resolve. It doesn't make either one of them evil for what they did, but it does clearly show that both are going to do whatever it takes to get what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
                  TJ is worried about her baby, so the on board politics must be annoying her considerably.
                  And may explain somewhat her OTT reaction to Chloe in Divided.

Comment

At the end of the episode when Young, Rush and Wray were discussing the development that many of the shuttle crew had elected to stay on the planet. Rush suggested a devious & violent response - have Scott return with all those who wanted to come back to Destiny and then return to the planet with only military and remove by force all those who wanted to stay. Wray was defending their right to chose and remain on the planet and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base; anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since Wray is still on the Destiny, supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.
                    Last edited by Blackhole; 18 April 2010, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                      At the end of the episode when Young, Rush and Wray were discussing the development that many of the shuttle crew had elected to stay on the planet. Rush suggested a devious & violent response - have Scott return with all those that wanted to return and then return with only military and remove those who stayed by force. Wray was defending the right to chose of those who stayed and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since she still is on the Destiny supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.
                      I'm shocked! shocked! that you, of all people, would suggest such a thing.

Comment

Blackhole,

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                        At the end of the episode when Young, Rush and Wray were discussing the development that many of the shuttle crew had elected to stay on the planet. Rush suggested a devious & violent response - have Scott return with all those who wanted to come back to Destiny and then return to the planet with only military and remove by force all those who wanted to stay. Wray was defending their right to chose and remain on the planet and Young was trying to balance their right to choose with the needs of Destiny. The only surprise at least in my mind was Wray's defense. Her response was the least self-serving of the three. I think her character is growing. Wray's order to Rush in Divided to save Young and Scott and her defense of the rights of those who elected to stay on the planet shows her moving away from her initial self-serving attitude. Destiny doesn't have a replaceable personnel base; anyone who leaves weakens Destiny's overall resources. Since Wray is still on the Destiny, supporting those who want to leave only weakens her position.
                        I think Rush is a pure pragmatist. I don't think he gets into a twist about ideology. I think he sees what needs to be done and wants it done the most efficient way possible. I do think he is fairly self-involved. Not to the exclusion of all else but he doesn't see peoples desire to stay on a habitable planet as outweighing his needs in keeping the mission on Destiny moving forward. Is it disrespectfully of other people's rights, yup. I think he would ask why such rights outweigh the mission. I don't think he's correct but I do see where he's coming from.
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

rush is someone who sees what needs to be done and wants it done. i think Rush is an incredible character, who actually suffers from his medical injuries instead of magically healing *looking at YOU, sheppard*.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            Blackhole,

I think Rush is a pure pragmatist. I don't think he gets into a twist about ideology. I think he sees what needs to be done and wants it done the most efficient way possible. I do think he is fairly self-involved. Not to the exclusion of all else but he doesn't see peoples desire to stay on a habitable planet as outweighing his needs in keeping the mission on Destiny moving forward. Is it disrespectfully of other people's rights, yup. I think he would ask why such rights outweigh the mission. I don't think he's correct but I do see where he's coming from.
                            I agree with your assessment.

Disrespectful of others' rights is a benign seemly harmless way of putting it. What you are really saying is Rush will do everything possible to insure everyone remains on the Destiny to help him (whether they want to or not) to carry out his idea of the mission. The problem is no one on board signed up for his mission. They are all on Destiny against their will due to his reckless unilateral and unauthorized dialing of the 9th Chevron address from Icarus Base. Most if not nearly all of Destiny’s crew wants to return home as soon as possible. Rush’s latest recommendation to Young is continued evidence to demonstrate he has no intention of furthering that goal anytime soon and will probably take covert steps to prevent it from ever happening.

Rush wasn’t trusted by Earth before his latest failed coup attempt now he is likely viewed as a direct threat. He knows that if a method of two way wormhole travel is ever found back to Earth that he will be forced to return and never allowed back on Destiny. With the vast technical expertise he possess there is no way he is ever going to permit the crew to develop and implement a method of safe return home.

I find it surprising how many people have demonized Young for his marooning of Rush on the desert planet. Young did react out of anger but this latest window to Rush’s true intent and character confirms even more concretely in my mind that he represents the biggest threat and stumbling block to their safe return to Earth. I think most would feel much differently about Young’s action if they were stuck on the Destiny in nearly constant peril, a universe away from their family and friends, instead of viewing the story unfold from the comfortably safety of their homes.
                            Last edited by Blackhole; 18 April 2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I'm quite understand Wray is examine her options in this episode. I'll take it if they develop into a romantic relationship just enough to distract me from science fiction and political chaos on the Destiny. Eli and Wray just seem fit together despite the age differences. Eli may need the love to make him mature and smarter and Wray may learn more about handling a stress from Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                                I'm quite understand Wray is examine her options in this episode. I'll take it if they develop into a romantic relationship just enough to distract me from science fiction and political chaos on the Destiny. Eli and Wray just seem fit together despite the age differences. Eli may need the love to make him mature and smarter and Wray may learn more about handling a stress from Eli.
                                It would certainly make for interesting drama but Wray is gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X