No announcement yet.

The Plan to get them home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It''s been firmly established that solar flares do wonky things to wormholes in the SG universe. While I'm not a physicist (not yet anyway), purposely dialing while INSIDE a star doesn't seem like the greatest idea based on what we've seen in previous series. Even if the wormhole did connect to Earth, wouldn't they be thrown to a different time like in 1969, Continuum, etc. Simple explanation anyone?
    "I killed a city once. Funny story." - Wolverine

Comment

Originally posted by skeezix View Post
      It''s been firmly established that solar flares do wonky things to wormholes in the SG universe. While I'm not a physicist (not yet anyway), purposely dialing while INSIDE a star doesn't seem like the greatest idea based on what we've seen in previous series. Even if the wormhole did connect to Earth, wouldn't they be thrown to a different time like in 1969, Continuum, etc. Simple explanation anyone?
      Most of those "wonky wormhole things" were due to the SGC using Carter's phenominally less-than-equipped dialing computer instead of a proper DHD. The DHD would've been able to compensate and/or deal with the problems at hand, and since Destiny is equipped with a proper, designed by the Ancients DHD, the threat of that would be much less than before.
      sigpic
      http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
        The ship doesnt stop moving just slows yay down... the wormhole is established while the ship is still moving... Destiny ever stops.

Really? i missed that one. Just leaves the question what did they use for the Point of Origin?

But then again... in every database in SG1 or SGA when a address was displayed it was without the PoP so a 7symbol(same galaxy) address would have 6symbol in the database and a 8symbol adress(other galaxy) would have 7symbols in the database so:
        8 symbols plus the point of origin makes 9 unless the address contains the point of origin but how can the destiny have a fixed point of origin if it keeps moving?

Sorry if this is confusing but english is not my first language so "lost in translation"
        An 8 chevron address for earth makes sense I think:
        7 chevrons is intra-galactic travel
        8 chevrons is inter-galactic travel
        9 chevrons is travel TO destiny (regardless of where it is)

Like Atlantisrules!! mentioned they have been gating for a while so the ship must have its own PoO chevron.
        Seeing as a 9 chevron address has the special one saying "dial Destiny", maybe Destiny's gate (since it was made to stay inside an ever moving ship) has also a special PoO chevron "dial <there> regardless of where we are"

since they're trying to travel from destiny to Earth I dont know if the 9th chevron is still necessary, yet it needs an astronomical amount of energy since destiny is far further away from anything else Earth encontered.
        The Icarus-> Destiny gate must had broke the all-time Universal gate distance travel record, even counting the gate trips from the Ancients

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
          Most of those "wonky wormhole things" were due to the SGC using Carter's phenominally less-than-equipped dialing computer instead of a proper DHD. The DHD would've been able to compensate and/or deal with the problems at hand, and since Destiny is equipped with a proper, designed by the Ancients DHD, the threat of that would be much less than before.
          That's a pretty bad copout explanation imo. They were basically surrounded by the star. There should have at least been a Rush line to explain why it would have worked. The solar flare plot device is too big to go unaddressed, they based a whole movie off of it fer crying out loud!
          "I killed a city once. Funny story." - Wolverine

Comment

Originally posted by nhall View Post
            Dude, I totally called it back when Light aired!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=70495

It didn't really work (Rush's fault?) -- but, at the same time, I totally called it from draining Destiny's reserves, forcing it into a sun to using Destiny as a conduit for the star's power.

I was very pleased with this episode.
            You got the method
            But Im the one that said in post #4 and 15 in that thread, that it couldnt handle dialing from inside a star and that it wouldnt be able to take all the power required for dialing all at once without failing

Although since Rush did technically sabotage it, we still dont know for sure if it wouldve worked or not
            I still say it wouldnt have worked and that they all wouldve died if Rush hadnt done what he did

Comment

Here is the plan to get them home.

Use DNA material of each person on Destiny found back on Earth. Make a clone of each person using Asgard cloning tech. (which Earth now has), switch consciousness of Destiny people and their corresponding cloned bodies on earth. Set a timed devices to painlessly kill all the bodies on Destiny once the switch is made so the clone's relatively blank consciousness won't suffer too long on Destiny.

Since there are only a few com. stones, the switches/killings will have to be made a few at a time, or only a few people will get to actually come home permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by ttsec View Post

Use DNA material of each person on Destiny found back on Earth. Make a clone of each person using Asgard cloning tech. (which Earth now has), switch consciousness of Destiny people and their corresponding cloned bodies on earth. Set a timed devices to painlessly kill all the bodies on Destiny once the switch is made so the clone's relatively blank consciousness won't suffer too long on Destiny.
                If the original body dies the body that the consciousness is in dies too
                It was shown when Vala died while swapped in SG-1
                And implied here

Comment

its funny how they used the same idea people came up with after light. I read on JM's blog someone asked why didnt they dial earth when they were in the sun, JM replied with "hey thats a good idea!" haha

i think they dialled the only 8 chevron address they had and added the point of origin

Comment

Originally posted by ttsec View Post

Since there are only a few com. stones, the switches/killings will have to be made a few at a time, or only a few people will get to actually come home permanently.
                    if the connection is severed at all, they revert back to their original bodies, this includes killing their original bodies, they would be dead

Comment

Red Sky
                      EPISODE NUMBER - 505
                      DVD DISC - Season 5, Disc 2
                      ORIGINAL U.S. AIR DATE - 07.27.01
                      SYNDICATION AIR DATE - 10.07.02
                      WRITTEN BY - Ron Wilkerson
                      DIRECTED BY - Martin Wood
                      GUEST STARRING - Fred Applegate (Elrad), John Prosky (Malchus), Norman Armour (Dr. MacLaren), Brian Jensen (Freyr)
                      SG-1 discovers that their trip through the Stargate may have inadvertently doomed an entire civilization, and plead with the Asgard for assistance.

Safety protocols are built into the real DHDs. WHy would this wormhole be allowed to connect inside a star?

Comment

Originally posted by Mevi View Post
                        Safety protocols are built into the real DHDs. WHy would this wormhole be allowed to connect inside a star?
                        From my other post

I'm going to argue side-ways and say that on a technical level there was not enough detail given about the plan to make an assessment, especially for such fictional elements as Stargates.

Given also that TPTB have shown a willingness to 'stretch' canon as needed, under the umbrella that the time frame between Destiny and the MW gate system allowing for changes in Ancient technology enough to allow technical-canon, if you will, to not be quite so limiting in story telling.

IOW, I don't think it's really going to be possible within the story to say "well, in this episode, this happened to that means they can/can't do that"
                        If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                        Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

as i said.

the wormhole does not travel THROUGH the star. the destiny is in the upper layers, thus the wormhole wouldn't be affected.

Comment

Seriously there was no way they were gonna draw continuous power from the star anyhow!

The plan was gonna fail not because of it's technical flaws, but simply because we're seven episodes into the season

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                            : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by skeezix View Post
                              Yeah, the guys who came up with the plan didn't seem like the most foreward thinking cautios people. They probably didn't care about that risk. It would have been funny if it had worked, but the wormhole looped back to the Destiny in the past like in the Sg-1 episode 1969. Then they'd be truely alone, cut off from Earth as they know it.
                              For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                as i said.

the wormhole does not travel THROUGH the star. the destiny is in the upper layers, thus the wormhole wouldn't be affected.
                                Aren't the upper layers of the sun the hottest and most magnetically charged?

In 1969 the effect was caused by a solar flare, which is on the outer surface. In Red Sky, we can't be sure what part of the sun the wormhole traveled through. It wasn't stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X