This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
    I'm actually more intrigued by Emily's actions. I think even if my wife was 'inside' so to speak, that it would be very unnerving to have sex with someone else's body like that.... you open your eyes and see someone else's face, the body feels and moves different....creepy. I was more surprised that Emily was willing to do that than I was that Young was
    Its an all round ethical muddle, that’s what makes it so great. I don’t see why Stargate cant explore this, in the past its explored themes of genocide, mass murder, religious warfare, false belief, unethical science and torture. But sex is off-limits?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
      I’m sorry there unethical for choosing to explore these issues? You may not want it but I do, if the show is so morally repugnant for you there is the off switch.
      ...and that is what I have planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
        ...and that is what I have planned.

Frankly good because I want to enjoy a mature adult show, if you don’t like it your making the right decision by simply watching or doing something else.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon
          I’m sorry there unethical for choosing to explore these issues? You may not want it but I do, if the show is so morally repugnant for you there is the off switch.
          I'm o.k. with exploring ethical issues. But like i said i like my characters to have some morals. And i would never say they should not bring these things up. But i cannot like a character who would violate what i hold in the highest regard.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
            I'm o.k. with exploring ethical issues. But like i said i like my characters to have some morals. And i would never say they should not bring these things up. But i cannot like a character who would violate what i hold in the highest regard.
            Especially when they are of someone in charge.

Rush suddenly looks like a saint. Next week Rush could kill everyone on board, and I would think he was justified in carrying out such an act.

Comment

And many shows ala the Sopranos and the Shield have characters who are morally repugnant. There’s an audience for those shows as there is for SGU. Its clear to me even if the crew of the Destiny suffer in some areas with regards to morals they aren’t totally lacking them, eg Greer’s loyalty to Young, Young looking after his people, Wray not being a toll for the IOA. As I said if the show is that morally repugnant to you switch off and leave me to enjoy my complex scifi show. And I notice your sig has Dexter on it, not exactly a moral character there, a serial killer?

Comment

OK, being a 40 yo man with a 20 year marriage (and six kids), sex is not a new topic for me so what I'm going to say may seem a bit much for some so...you've been warned

Spoiler:

As a fan of b-level movies, and a lot of them, I've made observations of various tendencies in such movies and movies in general. One observation I've made is the tendency to use the 'woman on top' position for sex scenes because it allow you to show more of her body and less of the man's body underneath...and that's usually what the film-maker is going for, female skin.

"Earth" added a new twist that. Being that if Young and his wife had been in a more...traditional....position. The sudden body swap between Young and Telford would have been *really* awkward. That was one of the few positions they could've been in where they could really pull that scene off...

Just a random thought this morning...

If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Just admit it, you really just want a pr0n show in space. Sickening.

Comment

and yet you seem to like dexter, a serial killer! is serial killing not violating some highly regarded morals you have?
                    sigpic
                    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                      and yet you seem to like dexter, a serial killer! is serial killing not violating some highly regarded morals you have?

Indeed and while Dexter is supposed to only kill murderers and other criminals, he on at least one occasion kills a (fairly) innocent person by accident, that doesn’t have much of an affect on him. So hardly the most moral character there.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149
                        And I notice your sig has Dexter on it, not exactly a moral character there, a serial killer?
                        Dexter is a sociopath, he isn't capable of morals. But anyone who has a command fuction in the military shoul have had some moral tests.
                        sigpic

Comment

But you have no idea what was or was not violated. You have no idea what was or was not agreed to with regard to a body swap. None of these people are ordered to be the recipient. I'm not saying I want to see body swapping sex all over the place, but there's no evidence of breaking a rule that we've been shown.

I agree that there's an ethical/moral issue, but I can also put myself in the position of the the character of Young, who's been estranged from his wife for an undisclosed period of time. He finally gets forgiveness from his wife, and he has a normal reaction to her. Do I think he needs to go back and check in with Telford first? Probably, but emotions in that moment kicked in. Telford is not there, physically, nor would he have had any memory of it (excluding the glitch that happened and that's always a risk too). Again, I have to think some of this is discussed during a body swap. That would be interesting to see in future episodes. I think the greater moral issue would be to deceive someone on Earth because the idea of body swapping would be so WTF for them. Emily was not being deceived. However, at the end of the episode, it would appear that Telford was about to deceive Emily and that's a moral dilemma.

I think it's a valid discussion to have regarding what exactly is agreed to and is allowed during a body swap, including unexpected emotional situations. For instance, what if Eli had gotten into a fight at the club, and he picked up a knife to defend himself and got his "body" injured and also killed the attacker? Should he have avoided the fight completely because he was in someone else's body or did his emotions kick in, which could not possibly be controlled. What about Chloe getting drunk? What if the body recipient is a recovering alcoholic? It's an interesting dilemma.
                          Last edited by Maxum; 07 November 2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Dexter is a sociopath, he isn't capable of morals. But anyone who has a command fuction in the military shoul have had some moral tests.
                            Hang on a minute ago you said this.

You like your characters to have morals, except Dexter who has none. As for morlaity in the military, there are plenty of good people but I wouldnt call any of us morally clean or perfect in any way. Further military morals work in a much different way to civilians.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                              But you have no idea what was or was not violated. You have no idea what was or was not agreed to with regard to a body swap. None of these people are ordered to be the recipient. I'm not saying I want to see body swapping sex all over the place, but there's no evidence of breaking a rule that we've been shown.
                              Would anyone really consent to someone else using their body in such a manner? They rin the risk of contracting STD's getting (someone) pregnant. And from the final scene I don't think Telford consented to his body being used in such a manner.
                              sigpic

Comment

You are right that it is rape, and it's not funny. I think most people felt this way with the whole sex thing when it first happened, but were so weirded out they didn't comment on it much. I can't imagine that sort of thing being permitted, and it's horribly irresponsible to run around in someone else's body like it's your own.

Actually, everyone seems to be realizing this in this episode. Young freaks out when Eli mentions it in the beginning. Eli certainly thought the girls were talking to him for being himself, but it turns out that his borrowed body is hot. Chloe thought her friend/boyfriend liked her for herself and now she's realizing that's not true either.
                                Last edited by Mythophile; 07 November 2009, 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X