Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One could argued that telford did not consent, but telfored stranded them on purpose. its fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
      Who Cares? Its TV.

Personally I saw no problem with it, since its not like it was actually Telford, it was Young. No matter who's body you are in, you will still be you. The body after-all is just a vessel.

I actually found it very interesting how they played with the moral situations of being in another persons body in this episode. I also found the FTL temporary switching rather amusing.
      Huh?
      A body is not just a vessel, some would say it is a temple. It is still part of who you are. There is a reason why people are so protective of dead bodies. What if Telford was a virgin? His virginity would now be gone, lets say he secretly has an STD...what if that was his reason for showing up at the door if it was not Young.

What if Tleford has religious or moral objections? This is no different than date rape. Just cause your mind isn't their for you to expierence it or say no, it is still rape.

Yes the out cry over a gay lady was sexist or just done by people who are upset over SGA.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

i never get outraged by fiction, science or otherwise
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
          i never get outraged by fiction, science or otherwise
          It is also strange that there is no outrage over Law and Order SVU...the who show is nothing but rape this and rape that.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            It is also strange that there is no outrage over Law and Order SVU...the who show is nothing but rape this and rape that.
            Why would there be outrage over a crime drama showing crimes?
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Telford didn't want to say anything because he's like this straight up hardass. He's probably embarrassed, so instead of filing an official complaint, i think he's just have a chat with one of his RAPISTS!

Seriously, that's messed up. Young violated the rules. He's didn't respect Telford's body.

Comment

My feelings on this subject is that if anyone agrees to be the "surrogate" for someone else to swap bodies with him, then you also take the risk of allowing that person to do what they want.

Would any of us agree to a body swap and if so, wouldn't we be risking certain behaviors by the other person? I would have to think that if someone hasn't seen their loved ones in weeks, months, years, then expressing themselves in some fashion (hugs, kissing, sex) would probably come up. It also seems that people are swapping with the same bodies. I believe Chloe took the same body again, just as Young did.

I think in future episodes, it might be mentioned that part of the agreement with being the recipient of a body swap is that you give up all rights to that body during the swap. If the person doesn't like that idea, then don't agree to the swap. It's that simple. For that reason, I don't consider either case as a case of rape. I believe that some rights were given up prior to agreeing to the swap. That's just my opinion because if someone came to me with a request to be a body swap recipient, I would have all kinds of questions: What are they going to do in my body? What can they do, etc? If the answer comes back that "You won't be held responsible for anything that happens during the body swap, but we can't guarantee that there won't be any kind of intimacy considering how long these people have not seen their loved ones" that would be my cue to say "No, thanks" or "Okay, I can accept that possiblity."

There has to be some kind of agreement to that sort of thinking, I would think.

Comment

Because I think those of us who were bothered with it have decided to move on with this episode. I was trying to like this show - and there are characters and some elements I DO like. But the sexual situations/relationships are turning it into Peyton Place, with love triangles and adultery and whatever, and that's not what I watch sci fi for. I'm not outraged...just really sad that the show didn't turn out the way I thought it would (with edgy adventure, intrigue, suspense, and stuff more along the lines of what <i>Sanctuary</i> offered immediately after this ep).

das
                  sigpic

Comment

Why does sci fi shows only have to be about space battles or aliens? Intimacy, in whatever capacity, is part of being a human being and to not see it on a show makes it cold, imo. I agree that they don't need to show a sex scene with every single episode, but it doesn't bother me in the least. SGU is a character study of very different people trapped on a ship for God knows how long, and they are going to explore all aspects of these characters (love, hate, rage, betrayal, courage, etc.), and I'm enjoying it.

So far, the sexual scenes have not turned me off at all. Mostly because they make sense in the context of the show. At least I feel that way about Young. I think they are using Scott as a horn dog so far, but maybe they'll tone it down a bit with him.

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                      Because I think those of us who were bothered with it have decided to move on with this episode. I was trying to like this show - and there are characters and some elements I DO like. But the sexual situations/relationships are turning it into Peyton Place, with love triangles and adultery and whatever, and that's not what I watch sci fi for. I'm not outraged...just really sad that the show didn't turn out the way I thought it would (with edgy adventure, intrigue, suspense, and stuff more along the lines of what <i>Sanctuary</i> offered immediately after this ep).

das
                      "Earth" offered the latter two in heaping amounts, so I guess that's a personal taste.

And while I can agree that adventure (in the truest sense of the word) has been a bit limited, I also acknowledge that SGU was set up to be primarily about survival in the beginning. Now that they seem to have air, energy, and water (for the most part) taken care of, I suspect we'll be getting some very intriguing stories.

For example, I found the overall conflict of "Earth" to be one of the most rewarding this far, and next week's "Time" looks astounding. I've been looking forward to "Time" for a while, and I've limited my spoiler level ever since I read a comment by Robert Carlyle about that episode

Speaking with regards to the actual topic, I too find it interesting that proportionally less people cared about Young having sex in Telford's body. A lot of people thought they found it humorous and such.

Granted, I'm not going to voice what I thought either way, but I find it very interesting comparing people's initial reactions to this and the
                      Spoiler:
                      "Sabotage" sides. Episode discussion for "Sabotage" will be very interesting, indeed.
                      Last edited by Coronach; 07 November 2009, 09:04 AM.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

IMMORALLY WRONG.
                        So it was... right? You just pulled a double negative.

Comment

Why thank for a super-spoiler which had nothing to do with this episode any episode that has been aired insofar and which no one except those who have read the spoilers for future episodes knew about.

Thanks a bunch! Not even a spoiler-bracket!

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                            Unfortunately, there are still a lot of double standards between men and women when it comes to sex. For instance, a man sleeps around and its no big deal. Woman does it, and she's a slut.
                            Plus, the subject of a man's body being used for sex without permission isn't half as likely to cause outrage as a woman's body being used in the same context, so the axe-grinders don't see it as a worthy cause to work up the anti-SGU camp.
                            Quoting this for truth.

It's a big black mark against Young that he did this, in my book. Part of being in command, is having self-control. Well, for any guy, really, and this is coming from a guy. I hate guys who have no self-control. Of course, part of this is my bitter high school nerd days where I tried to show respect, and yet the ones who slept around had all the girls wanting them.

My other mark against Young was his paranoia, but it actually got some basis this ep, so the black mark as turned grey for now.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                              Unfortunately, there are still a lot of double standards between men and women when it comes to sex. For instance, a man sleeps around and its no big deal. Woman does it, and she's a slut.
                              Plus, the subject of a man's body being used for sex without permission isn't half as likely to cause outrage as a woman's body being used in the same context, so the axe-grinders don't see it as a worthy cause to work up the anti-SGU camp.
                              There are not words to describe how much I agree with what you say here Oh man, the stark parallels and (possibly) hypocrisy that can be drawn between this thread and the one this past summer. And I suspect it'll be even more stark (and entertaining) when
                              Spoiler:
                              "Sabotage" airs.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

I think I am more pissed off now than before I started to watch the show. I find the continuous usage of sex distasteful. I had to shut several of the episodes off when family members walked by. If sex is used within anymore episodes, from this point on, I'm going to give up on everything Stargate.

Its bad enough Jack is a jerk in this series. I think there are now two strikes on the board. One more strike and I'm going to burn my Stargate SG-1 dvd sets.

Comment

Working...
                                X