No announcement yet.

Eli = Friendzoned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hate when people just assume that Chloe could never be into Eli because of his shape. It's just an extremely shallow, narrow-minded viewpoint. Even if certain people might think that way in the real world, the fact is that's not how everyone operates.

And even if Chloe based her opinion of Eli solely on his looks, we have no idea if she would share the opinion that some people might have about how attractive he might be.

Using Scott as a basis for comparison isn't enough either, because I'm pretty sure most active daters don't date exact physical copies of the same person throughout their entire lives. It's like saying she wouldn't be into Greer because Scott is a white guy and she just wouldn't have any interest in a darker toned person.

Comment

As a 23 year old guy in a top US university (which means I am surrounded by people exactly like Chloe) I feel like adding my two cents to this whole discussion. Ohh, I must also add I myself suffer from a bad case of nice guy syndrome so I understand the whole situation quite well (although I am not stuck in a ship half the universe away).

Eli definitively know from this episode that he has been friendzone, however, I am quite sure he knew a while ago that he stood no chance with Chloe whatsoever. Nonetheless, because of being a nice guy and because of inmaturity (specially emotional inmaturity) he still retains the hope that she will change her mind and realize that he is there for more than sole friendship.

From Chloe's perpective it is easy to see how in a situation she feels totally alone and useless she has come to rely on Eli who is offering a hand and support. However, it is not difficult to understand her decision to chose Scott over Eli. I mean one is an out of shape, insecure, socially inept, unemployed boy; while the other one is a secure soldier with a leadership position and socially skillful.

In a more personal but still related note I can totally understand how Eli feels and it will take him a long time to get over it, especially since he is such a nice guy that he will still remain a friend to her. It will hurt him, but make him stronger over the long run.

If I may be permitted to talk about the leagues a bit also. There is definitively a side of them that plays into this whole situation. Both Chloe and Eli are very young people, and as one of them and surrounded by them, I can tell you that shallowness is pretty common and you don't tend to go for people that are either outside your physical AND emotional leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        Dude I can't give you green due to the bromance rule, but even if I could it still wouldn't justify how awesome that comment was.

I may have to send you 5 bucks in the mail.
        I'm fine with that.

Comment

The leagues issue CAN be broken, but Eli is nowhere near that. The absolute best thing he could do right now is worry about himself. Get himself to a position where he's secure in his own confidence and go from there.

Of course that's likely not going to happen, because it's not dark and gritty. I still fully expect that the universe will conspire to push Eli and Chloe together through one way or another. Why else would so much focus be put on them?

wait till we get to the alternate dimensions, and Eli and Chloe are the leaders of the Destiny with a child on the way

Or it could be the other way, TPTB could be focusing on them in order to break Eli's heart to the very limit and then go "See! See! We don't make crazy ships anymore!"

On topic, Chris Rock talked about the friendzone in one of his shows, it was hilarious, yet VERY true
          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            Of course that's likely not going to happen, because it's not dark and gritty.
            It's also not realistic.

To those of you annoyed at Eli for his attitude, or pity the poor boy for the same reason, allow me, someone who OWNS the Friendzone, to tell you this:

It ain't as easy to change as you think it is, and sometimes, it's not even desirable.

Speaking for myself, this is who I am. Ok, I don't "score" often - but despite that, I'm comfortable with myself, I'm happy with myself. In fact, one of my friends just told me that I'm a "happy person" a few weeks ago, and this is true. Sure, sometimes I'm frustrated with not having a girlfriend, but at other times I'm very glad that I get to do whatever I want because I have no commitments to anyone.

I've been in Eli's situation a countless number of times, and despite the frustration, I have a pretty carefree life (apart from the incredible stress from University, natch), and I like to keep it that way, for now.

One of my good buddies once told me that everyone is subconsciously in the relationship they want to be in, even if consciously they seem unhappy. I like to think that this is true most of the time (barring the obviously disturbing relationships, like the despicable one Cold Fuzz mentioned earlier regarding the abused wife).

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              It's also not realistic.

To those of you annoyed at Eli for his attitude, or pity the poor boy for the same reason, allow me, someone who OWNS the Friendzone, to tell you this:

It ain't as easy to change as you think it is, and sometimes, it's not even desirable.

Speaking for myself, this is who I am. Ok, I don't "score" often - but despite that, I'm comfortable with myself, I'm happy with myself. In fact, one of my friends just told me that I'm a "happy person" a few weeks ago, and this is true. Sure, sometimes I'm frustrated with not having a girlfriend, but at other times I'm very glad that I get to do whatever I want because I have no commitments to anyone.

I've been in Eli's situation a countless number of times, and despite the frustration, I have a pretty carefree life (apart from the incredible stress from University, natch), and I like to keep it that way, for now.

One of my good buddies once told me that everyone is subconsciously in the relationship they want to be in, even if consciously they seem unhappy. I like to think that this is true most of the time (barring the obviously disturbing relationships, like the despicable one Cold Fuzz mentioned earlier regarding the abused wife).
              Don't think i'm being acerbic, but i never said it was easy.

I was in your situation once. and it was hell clawing out of it. But i did. Now i have the choice to either be in a relationship or not. (I'm currently not but it's my decision) the CHOICE is a much stronger appeal to me than frustration.

I'm not saying Eli will have an easy choice to make, and it's like that with everything in life, it's hard to succeed and 99% its a hard choice. I suffered through some serious frustrations before i started to succeed, but i've never looked back.

Eli's got the same choice, he's got some decent role models and people he can learn from, so it's up to him now.

Don't think i'm being offensive because that's really not the point of this post. i'm just telling you the way i see it from my shoes.
              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

I'm not offended. Your post was quite enlightening, actually.

Whatever the case, Eli has a long ways to go, and I believe he can get there. I just don't want to see him suddenly "man-up" so to speak and be all confident and stuff, because I don't see that as realistic at all.

Comment

I'm not offended. Your post was quite enlightening, actually.

Whatever the case, Eli has a long ways to go, and I believe he can get there. I just don't want to see him suddenly "man-up" so to speak and be all confident and stuff, because I don't see that as realistic at all.
                  There's a little merit to the idea of "faking it" until you're "making it" because your forcing yourself ot do things that you're not used to, and hence getting used to it.

Nothing beats experience htough, and unfortunately for Eli, he's only got a few options on the ship that's why it's kinda odd for me to see him work on himself. i'm intrigued with how they're going to move forward with him

Comment

Don't think i'm being acerbic, but i never said it was easy.

I was in your situation once. and it was hell clawing out of it. But i did. Now i have the choice to either be in a relationship or not. (I'm currently not but it's my decision) the CHOICE is a much stronger appeal to me than frustration.

I'm not saying Eli will have an easy choice to make, and it's like that with everything in life, it's hard to succeed and 99% its a hard choice. I suffered through some serious frustrations before i started to succeed, but i've never looked back.

Eli's got the same choice, he's got some decent role models and people he can learn from, so it's up to him now.

Don't think i'm being offensive because that's really not the point of this post. i'm just telling you the way i see it from my shoes.
                    I totally know where you're coming from on this one. Having a choice about what relationship you're in is far, far better than settling for a friendship all the while hoping to be in a romantic relationship. It's also much better to choose to not be in a romantic relationship at all rather than settling for an unequal one. I've encountered both situations already and I would rather be in no relationship at all than tolerate either one of those situations.

My last long-term relationship (it lasted two years) ended because of career differences. Thankfully the ending to that particular relationship wasn't at all acrimonious, and it simply made sense to both of us to go our separate ways. This is especially good since she's now in Texas and I'm here in California. Now I'm in a position where I can choose to be in a relationship if I want. Right now, I'm happily uncoupled and it's by choice. That may or may not change after I finish training at a police academy but right now not being in a relationship is nice and uncomplicated. I can focus on career issues and other matters.

So I guess the point of this is that Eli has a choice. If I'm a little flustered by his behavior it's because he believes he doesn't when that's most certainly not the case. And more importantly, he believes he doesn't have any choices because he doubts his own self-worth. That is something I'm really hoping will change because I think many of us out here can see his merits even if he doesn't seem to.
                    sigpic

Comment

Fortunately for me I haven't had an opportunity to be friendzoned for a long time...
                      or is that unfortunate? Eh, I don't really care any more. Staying single is cheap and trouble-free.
                      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                        Fortunately for me I haven't had an opportunity to be friendzoned for a long time...
                        or is that unfortunate? Eh, I don't really care any more. Staying single is cheap and trouble-free.
                        Chris Rock said it best, Single and Lonely, or Married and Bored

I ended up ranting, feel free to laugh
                        Spoiler:

Being single is hilarious to me, i'm quite literally the only 22 year old in my group of people i grew up with who doesn't have kids already, or in a commited relationship, i've got school paid for and i'm just happily coasting ^_^ I get older folks asking me "Oh where's your wife?" and i go "I dunno, i haven't met her yet." and they just laugh and go "Good man!"

OMG This is so not meant as racist, but i'm spanish, and my parent's friends who have children are trying to hook me up with their kids who are like 18-20 and looking! I've got one guy in Nicaragua calling my house saying he knows a girl who's looking for a guy. I got contacted by the daughter of an old family friend we haven't seen in 20 years!

I don't have TIME for that sort of thing! I'm schooling and having fun dammit!

it's downright hilarious to see people's reactions when i flirt, i have fun, but i'm not tied down to anything. It wasn't always that way and i'm DAMN happy to be able to enjoy it now!

To actually say something about the topic at hand )I actually think that's kind of Eli's problem to a degree... i think he's looking for something long term when i doubt he's had anything SHORT term. A long term relationship is a hard commitment and he doesn't seem like the kind to stick to it beyond a little horizontal jogging action

it takes a long time for something like that to happen. If they decide to hook Eli and Chloe up in the second half of the second season... i can see that. as long as he actually improves over the course of this first!

Comment

Chris Rock said it best, Single and Lonely, or Married and Bored

I ended up ranting, feel free to laugh
                          Spoiler:

Being single is hilarious to me, i'm quite literally the only 22 year old in my group of people i grew up with who doesn't have kids already, or in a commited relationship, i've got school paid for and i'm just happily coasting ^_^ I get older folks asking me "Oh where's your wife?" and i go "I dunno, i haven't met her yet." and they just laugh and go "Good man!"

OMG This is so not meant as racist, but i'm spanish, and my parent's friends who have children are trying to hook me up with their kids who are like 18-20 and looking! I've got one guy in Nicaragua calling my house saying he knows a girl who's looking for a guy. I got contacted by the daughter of an old family friend we haven't seen in 20 years!

I don't have TIME for that sort of thing! I'm schooling and having fun dammit!

it's downright hilarious to see people's reactions when i flirt, i have fun, but i'm not tied down to anything. It wasn't always that way and i'm DAMN happy to be able to enjoy it now!

To actually say something about the topic at hand )I actually think that's kind of Eli's problem to a degree... i think he's looking for something long term when i doubt he's had anything SHORT term. A long term relationship is a hard commitment and he doesn't seem like the kind to stick to it beyond a little horizontal jogging action

it takes a long time for something like that to happen. If they decide to hook Eli and Chloe up in the second half of the second season... i can see that. as long as he actually improves over the course of this first!

Completely off-topic, but I have to ask: Where did you get the Math Boy smiley? Is there a Riley smiley around somewhere?
                          sigpic

Comment

OMG ELI ICON.

What did you say? Sorry, I was distracted by the OMG ELI ICON.

Comment

I made that smiley i remember someone saying they wanted it (forget who) and i spent like an hour remaking the Sam one into Eli

Hmmm might try and make a Riley one later. What should he say?

Comment

OMG ELI ICON.

What did you say? Sorry, I was distracted by the OMG ELI ICON.
                                My dad told me a few times that when I was a kid, I was distracted very easily by bright, shiny objects. There was this time--

Oooh where did that Eli gif come from? Did somebody on the forums make that?!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X