This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(*sigh*) This is the show.

Seriously, the show is about the characters and what's going on with them emotionally. There is escapist stuff within it, but the show's still very much about these people as human beings, and based on what we hear time and time again from the creatives of the series, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Every time someone says something like "we've set everything up, now the real show can begin" I just find myself stopping and wondering what that means. The show has already started. This is it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
      (*sigh*) This is the show.

Seriously, the show is about the characters and what's going on with them emotionally. There is escapist stuff within it, but the show's still very much about these people as human beings, and based on what we hear time and time again from the creatives of the series, that's not going to change anytime soon.

Every time someone says something like "we've set everything up, now the real show can begin" I just find myself stopping and wondering what that means. The show has already started. This is it.
      Well, I know I've said something similar to that before, but I hardly mean it in a "Good, now the action can begin!!" kind of thing. I mean it in a "well, the immediate, pressing survival issues are gone...so now more adventurous and exploratory-type plotlines can begin".

Presumably, you'd agree that there's been little time for any "true" adventure/exploration, given that any off-world activities have been coupled with immediate survival necessities?

That's not to say that we haven't had action or that we haven't discovered some pretty cool things so far
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

Well, we have visited planets, encountered aliens, faced life-and-death struggles of a sci-fi nature, and I would qualify all of this as adventure. Though transporting your thoughts into another body billions of lightyears away and having various experiences with it would also qualify as adventure to me.

So, I kind of expect more of all those kinds of things. And of course we're eventually going to get to some kind of "shoot-em-up" action like we saw briefly in the premiere, sure.

But some people almost make it sound like they're expecting "The Return" or "Camelot" every week now, and instead they'll get more "Darkness."

Which I'm fine with, by the way. I just don't want people to keep expecting one thing and finding themselves disappointed because of what they were convinced they would see.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
          Well, we have visited planets, encountered aliens, faced life-and-death struggles of a sci-fi nature, and I would qualify all of this as adventure. Though transporting your thoughts into another body billions of lightyears away and having various experiences with it would also qualify as adventure to me.

So, I kind of expect more of all those kinds of things. And of course we're eventually going to get to some kind of "shoot-em-up" action like we saw briefly in the premiere, sure.

But some people almost make it sound like they're expecting "The Return" or "Camelot" every week now, and instead they'll get more "Darkness."

Which I'm fine with, by the way. I just don't want people to keep expecting one thing and finding themselves disappointed because of what they were convinced they would see.
          Lol, I feel like I'm not getting my point across (which makes sense because it's pretty late here), because I agree with what you're saying.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Oh, I get it. It's just that this sort of comment pops up all over the place, and it doesn't always sound like others realize what's up with the show. >_>

Comment

OMG this show lets me down every week.
              And still everytime I hope that next time stuff will happen. You know, actual stuff, like what men can actually care about.
              I thought I'd give it the season to grow on me but I'm more and more getting the feeling that I won't have the patience.

Could I have some science with my sci-fi, please?

It seems we never get anything to hear about the destiny except "This doesn't work/We are locked out of that system" (to create drama), "This system now magically works" (to allow drama) and "Destiny is doing something" (causing drama).

It's actually quite funny how Rush can say that they are locked out of most systems because they don't have the "master code" and immediately after that we are told that firing the guns(!) is apparently no problem at all.
              Way to go ancients, I guess guns are the one thing that every intruder needs to have control over.
              Yes, I know, there will be dozens of possible explanations the most obvious being "it's old and broken" (also the most unsatisfying one).

The point is: The writers don't even care.
              Not explaining something at all is certainly not better than "technobabble" (soap opera advocates here seem to like this word).

Richard 'Win' Anderson

I wish they would stop using RDA as a nod to fans. He was great for many seasons but now it's just feeling weird.
              It gets old and is a very transparent move to please old fans (who they don't care about at all, except as numbers).
              In light of recent discussion about what you are allowed to say about the appearance of actors I'll just stop writing about RDA (you all saw him).

Comment

All i can say to that episode is - wowzers.

I liked parts, i was morally disgusted by parts, but they were all definitely entertaining.

Young-as-Telford sleeping with his wife, only to have Telford fade in and out, was downright nasty. Not alot of stuff on television can make me wince, but i really struggled with that concept. Maybe we shouldn't be pondering the morality of intergalactic rape in prime time...

Eli visiting his mother was a sweet little scene. I'm kinda disappointed she didn't tweak to the reality of the situation. I know he said she could barely handle an episode of Star Trek, but she was going to an awful lot of trouble making meals for a supposed stranger who clearly uses her son's inflections and knows where everything is located in the house without ever having been there before.

Chloe on the other hand is becoming intensely dislikable with each passing episode. Being whiny about her ex and best friend getting together, subsequently getting needlessly drunk, relegating Eli to the oh-so-despised-yet-worryingly-familiar-to-me "friend zone" and running straight back into Scott's arms when she was done? Man she was needy. Even in pointing out how shallow her life has been upto this point, it's not like she's correcting it. She's making exactly the same mistakes all over again. She needs to find some new role to fill onboard the ship or she'll have a hell of a bullseye on her back when the writers come around to killing someone.

Finally, oh glorious Rush. For awhile there, i thought there wasn't enough Rush in this episode, but then he swooped in at the end, worked his magic and left me laughing my ass off. Ironically, this is how you know he's been completely on the level so far. When he perpetrates a giant theatrical farce to get his way, he totally boasts about it. Which he's never done up until this point. In any other SG series, it probably would've been Young heroically saving the ship by ceasing contact with Earth and ignoring orders, but here it was Rush with a giant smug grin on his face and i loved it.

Ending on a question, what was with Young and Eli both having the lame fantastical jump-cut within the same episode? Young imagining snogging TJ made sense and makes for a hell of an entertaining mess considering his later actions, but then using the same cliche device for Eli imagining making out with Chloe? I know we guys think about sex all the time, but they probably should've played the scene straight at least one of those times.

Comment

This ep was 3 times as awesome than I expected. I'll need to watch it again to make sure I have it all straight (got interrupted a lot) but some thoughts are:
                  I rather liked Rush's secret plan and general demeanor. Great usage of the spacesuits, and heroic Riley showed his colours! Flying into a sun intentionally FTW: I was hoping that would be used again.
                  Lots of great use of the communication stones. I like the dynamic that they blink out at FTL transitions, it means no one can swap full time.
                  I thought the performance in the club fit well with the scenes. I looked up Janelle Monae a couple of days ago after watching the sneak-peak a few times and reading the pre-airing thread and have many moons firmly stuck in my head. Sincerely Jane too.
                  That artist is a fitting choice due to her strong sci-fi theme.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

i didnt see a weak drunk chloe. i saw a person who is only hindered by her position. hindered by her father's position. somebody who will always be seen as "that rich kid" or "that senator's kid" and not as chloe.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      i didnt see a weak drunk chloe. i saw a person who is only hindered by her position. hindered by her father's position. somebody who will always be seen as "that rich kid" or "that senator's kid" and not as chloe.
                      And she was drunk while being that way.
                      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

What a boring and dull episode it was like watching some B grade Drama show(the 99.99999% of the crap that is on television these days). Was this even Stargate at all? I liked the first 5 episodes and then this crap comes along...

Please for the love of gawd don't keep this up for the entire season be a little more creative and we want action. I was yawning throughout the whole episode.

Comment

This episode made me like Rush even more. I dislike most of the characters, but he's pretty cool. Loved the way he bragged about tricking Telford. Poor Eli though. They need to find him a girl who doesn't use him as her security blanket. I wish they would either get Jack in character or stop using him.

Comment

Excellent acting from Elyse! Chloe sure seemed hurt, lost, drunk, etc, all at the same time.
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

ok, seriousley this episode was way much better than Water (which seemed just a rehash of air part III ).
                              Rush is awesome, and Young as always. I liked how he stood up against Jack. We need something of Sam, or Rodney, i wonder why he was not on that "brilliant" team, maybe because he is still in Atlantis fixing "real" things
                              but this episode was really good!
                              sigpic

Comment

After "light" (or 1x05) i got really interested and thought 'hey this is starting to pick up' the characters seemed to be writen well and the plot of that ep were brilliant, however, since then i have been disappointed i know many will say its not meant to be BSG but hear me out. You can obiously draw parallels from both shows (they are trying to get home, stuck with people they dont like, in a hostile land...) but where they differ is the character development, BSG imo went the right way about it you saw people change over the course of a season dependent on what was going on around them (sure you had Lee who was perhaps the only constant which symbolised how there is hope for humanity, but everyone else would change - even Adama who was supposed to be the leader and should therefore keep it all together) here we have the same sort of characters going through the motions.

I have been interested by the interactions in SGU but overall i cant say it is what i thought it would be when i saw the previews, there seems to be the same sort of predictability from it that i saw from the other SG shows but rather then it being predictable in the sence that Carter will save the day or they'll be a huge fire fight its predictable because you know where the story is heading and the reactions of the members of the crew - all apart from Rush who i think has been brilliant, young has been good but if i hear his "these are the wrong people" line one more time im going to barf! I mean we get it, these are the wrong people but by reminding us every 10 seconds means we never expect them to throw away these shackles and become more than they are right now and perhaps become the right people.

I dont know why but i just cant get into the other characters and perhaps its because they havent had much screentime but for a dark character based storyline i cant help but think its just the first 6 seasons of SG1 without the explosions. I hope it gets better and will continue to watch it in the hopes that it becomes more interesting (opposed to the obious questions like "why would Rush lie" and "what was that ship that left the density")

Also am i the only one that really doesnt like the idea of the LRC device? Maybe if that was gone and they really were on their own i would feel their dire situation more.
                                Last edited by nemesis24; 08 November 2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X