Eli and the military personal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yanna View Post
    He could have said "Can you fix it?" instead of barking orders. Eli doesn't whine and doesn't need handling. He was giving Young his assessment of the situation and Young was his usual rude self.
    But asking, "Can you fix it?" leads to (and this is the case with almost every person you were to ask the question of) "Maybe..." and two minutes on how it could be done and then an "Okay try that" from Young.

"Fix it" is quick, to the point, and--at least in my opinion--carte blanche to do whatever you need to do to get the job done without bothering to waste time asking for further permission. Do the job and get it done and don't waste time waffling over maybe's and if I tried's.

Comment

But asking, "Can you fix it?" leads to (and this is the case with almost every person you were to ask the question of) "Maybe..." and two minutes on how it could be done and then an "Okay try that" from Young.
      Eli's answer was "I'm guessing as it is" He would have said the same if Young said "Can you fix it" instead of just ordering Eli to fix the Magic Stones.

Comment

Young's "Fix it!" in Divided was not the first time he'd taken that attitude to work by the scientists on board (or even the first time he'd yelled at them to "Fix it!"), so the circumstances of that one particular instance are irrelevant. He comes across as being so utterly ignorant of how science works that he thinks if he yells loud enough things will just fall into place like well oiled soldiers, but all he's going to do is undermine Eli. Or at least realism would dictate that that would be the outcome, but this is fiction, so...
        sigpic

Comment

Lahela,

Young does have a rather blase attidute regading the work of the science team. However, I did love how he shamed Volker and the Engineer who's name I forget into working a bit more diligently by pointing out that the "College dropout" was "Working the problem" while they whined "It couldn't be done."
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Commanders command.

Comment

Commanders command.
              I still hope that next time he yells at a scientist like that they'll tell him to come fix it himself. I was glad when Eli told him he shouldn't have left Rush behind in Space. Too bad Eli seemed to have lost that backbone in Divided.

Comment

Originally posted by yanna View Post
                I still hope that next time he yells at a scientist like that they'll tell him to come fix it himself. I was glad when Eli told him he shouldn't have left Rush behind in Space. Too bad Eli seemed to have lost that backbone in Divided.
                Hehe, I was very proud of Eli when he said that. But now I think part of Eli's problem is that Rush came back and backed up Young's version of events, and now he's telling the truth. Eli has caught Rush in so many lies, I think he just doesn't know who to believe anymore for sure. He hasn't caught Young lying, just being sneaky. He may even feel guilty for saying what he did to Young, if he believes that Rush was not deliberately left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                  Lahela,

Young does have a rather blase attidute regading the work of the science team. However, I did love how he shamed Volker and the Engineer who's name I forget into working a bit more diligently by pointing out that the "College dropout" was "Working the problem" while they whined "It couldn't be done."
                  That was a priceless moment - it showed how capable Eli is of thinking outside the box, which, in this situation, is certainly a valuable skill!
                  sigpic

Comment

Lahela,

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                    That was a priceless moment - it showed how capable Eli is of thinking outside the box, which, in this situation, is certainly a valuable skill!
                    So, how long will Eli retain that skill before he becomes as hidebound as the rest? Is this something truly creative minds retain all their lives or does it pass with age?
                    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeLegate View Post
                      I am just waiting for Eli to reach his breaking point and go off on them all, that would be a fun rant to watch.
                      Indeed.

Maybe they'll implement more recreational activities. Ah! the stones. Eli is ordered to go back to Earth and relief himself. lol

Comment

Originally posted by hiro View Post
                        It's just me or i think that everybody is nearly overloading Eli ? In Space specially the military personal.....

I'm the only one who thinks this ?
                        overloading? Yes. The military acts, it's one of the things that they do. Something needs done, they do it. The flip side of that is that they can't really do anything on the Destiny, but they've seen that Eli can. Of course it doesn't mean that Eli can do everything and no, not everything is a simple math problem, but Eli is all there is to DO something, so I get where they're coming from. If they didn't think he was capable, they wouldn't be looking to him for anything at all.
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I remember when Scott tried this on Rush shortly after they arrived on Destiny in relation to the air problem. Rush tells him flatout that his military style of ordering him in such matters was better left for people who didn't know any better. This is the line Eli should take. Young's poor tactical decisions stem mainly from the fact that he doesn't understand the limitations of the ship. Eli should probably be a bit more proactive in getting that across.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            So, how long will Eli retain that skill before he becomes as hidebound as the rest? Is this something truly creative minds retain all their lives or does it pass with age?
                            Or do they have it verbally pummelled out of them?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                              Commanders command.
                              Exactly why Young isn't fit for the job to lead the people on Destiny. He should be a leader and lead, not only a commander and command.
                              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                                Exactly why Young isn't fit for the job to lead the people on Destiny. He should be a leader and lead, not only a commander and command.
                                And probably why he wasn't the one who was supposed to go and lead the mission.

Of course, from what we've seen of Lou Diamond Phillips' character, he wouldn't have made a very good leader, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X