No announcement yet.

Alien Ship's weapons weren't great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I felt the weapons were cool. We've seen enough 'rapid fire' type weapons on ships already ( Ha'tak, Hive ships, drones to a degree, daedalus-class battlecruisers, destiny, Ori secondary weapons, traveller ships ) , we've also seen beam weapons ( asgard plasma beam weapons, Ori main weapons I guess al though those fall into the 'charge and fire large burst' weapons ) which felt kinda star- trek. We don't see that many ship weapons that charge and fire a fast hardhitting burst ( Ori weapons were slow long bursts of energy ) .

We don't know the shieldstrenght of destiny, because we can't compare it. I think with those weapons a smurf ship should at least be able to destroy a bunch ha'taks. Those smurf ships were quite large even when compared to destiny ( which is huge ) , and most likely a lot bigger than earth ships. I'm sure when a smurf ship fires on an earth ship that there will be sparks inside the earthship everywhere! ( Even throwing some daisy's at our shields would cause spark explosions... )

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
      We don't know the shieldstrenght of destiny, because we can't compare it. I think with those weapons a smurf ship should at least be able to destroy a bunch ha'taks.
      Not a direct comparison, but should be able to make some educated guesses. If Goa'uld tech was basically the product of the knowledge they could steal from Ancient tech left in the Milky Way, then most likely that tech ... hyperdrive, shields and weapons should be more or much more advanced than advanced than anything on Destiny. The Goa'uld shielding advanced enough to fend off Tollan weaponry.

I think a ha'tak might be the winner.

Comment

Okay, so from what I've gathered so far, the Smurf weapon was charging because they were hypothetically calibrating each shot so that they only weaken the shield but not punch a hole through Destiny? Hmm interesting. If this theory is true, I'd forgive them for having lame weapons prima facie.

Comment

What they need are guns that kaboooooooom! The destiny's crew might just crap their pants!

Comment

I just had to rewatch the scene to give an accurate view point. I feel the sound of the smurf weapons is similar to the sound of a bus.....the whole "wwwoooooo pitish'....obviously the smurfs havce recalibrated the bus engine to be quite a powerful weapon for their space ships. Ingenius stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

You're so wrong. You didn't hear any sound from the guns at all. There's no sound in space. Have you been hearing things a lot lately?
              Besides, even if the show messed up and did dub in sound, I couldn't hear it. I stick my fingers in my ears during space battles, because, if I don't, I throw science books at the tv until it's muted permanantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                You're so wrong. You didn't hear any sound from the guns at all. There's no sound in space. Have you been hearing things a lot lately?
                Besides, even if the show messed up and did dub in sound, I couldn't hear it. I stick my fingers in my ears during space battles, because, if I don't, I throw science books at the tv until it's muted permanantly.
                That would be quite funny....if for several minutes of sci fi space battles it was just silence.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, in Firefly it was like that. Just.....silence. But then, that ship didn't get in battles much because it didn't have any weapons. So I've never got to see several minutes of silent space battle, but someday, maybe. As long as I don't see it first-hand. I'll be careful what I wish for.

Comment

I was quite fine with the Snorks' weapons, though it seems like almost every ship in Stargate fires those dang projectile-style energy weapons.
                    It was Destiny's main gun that let me down. I really wanted a beam weapon. One that would deplete the energy reserves after two shots but do lots of damage.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Deathstar Destiny? That would have rocked muchly. Then again, I don't feel comfortable with Young or Rush (or Eli: "I have a gun!!!") having control of that awesome a weapon.

Comment

Well, in Firefly it was like that.
                        Yup, Firefly was one of the only Sci-Fi shows that did that, and I appreciated the realism. Sometimes complete silence is just as cool as pew-pew noises - it created a very ominous atmosphere during the short "battles" we saw.

Serenity added noise to please the mainstream crowd, but some people have suggested the noise was because of the nebula the massive battle was fought in. I don't remember if there was sound during the other battles, so I can't comment on that. I haven't watched it in forever...

As for the topic, I thought the alien weapons were pretty cool. I would rate them above Ha'taks, but below the Wraith hive ships. Also, it makes sense that they wouldn't fire their guns at full strength/speed, to avoid destroying the ship they're so obsessed with capturing. I assume they've been hunting Destiny for long enough to know how hard they can hit without causing irreparable damage.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          I was quite fine with the Snorks' weapons, though it seems like almost every ship in Stargate fires those dang projectile-style energy weapons.
                          It was Destiny's main gun that let me down. I really wanted a beam weapon. One that would deplete the energy reserves after two shots but do lots of damage.
                          Snorks.....thats a blast from the past!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X