Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What disciplinary actions should Young take towards Rush, Wray & the other civilians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
    What disciplinary actions should Young take towards Rush, Wray and the other civilians to maintain order and prevent another coup attempt?
    Air Lock

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
      What disciplinary actions should Young take towards Rush, Wray and the other civilians to maintain order and prevent another coup attempt?
      NONE as Young has NO right to order around non military personell and since they are not military they are not for him to command or dicipline at his whim. this is the whole point the civilians tried to make they dint volonteer or sign up for military service hence Young does not command them.
      also the civilians do nt trust youngs leadership abbilities and they dont want to have hime decide which one of them dies and doesnt especially as young is a terrible commander evident by one terrible decission after another

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
        I imagine that at the beginning of the next episode, at least, Rush will be under guard.

But if Young doesn't work out some sort of democratic arrangement then he's a bigger fool than I thought and let's face it, I thought he a pretty big fool before.
        indeed seconded and agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
          NONE as Young has NO right to order around non military personell and since they are not military they are not for him to command or dicipline at his whim. this is the whole point the civilians tried to make they dint volonteer or sign up for military service hence Young does not command them.
          But he kind of does. They all signed up to be under military command at Icarus, correct? Which means they receive orders from him and are contractually bound to carry them out.

The only difference now is that Young is cut off from his own bosses, which include both civilian and military leaders, and when they do connect, Young will have the final say-so since he's there in the thick of things and his leaders are not.

But technically speaking, Young is still in command. Of pretty much everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
            But he kind of does. They all signed up to be under military command at Icarus, correct? Which means they receive orders from him and are contractually bound to carry them out.

The only difference now is that Young is cut off from his own bosses, which include both civilian and military leaders, and when they do connect, Young will have the final say-so since he's there in the thick of things and his leaders are not.

But technically speaking, Young is still in command. Of pretty much everyone.
            No, it doesn't seem they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
              Young is doing the right thing. He wants to diffuse the situation so any punishment other than the cowed feeling that the majority of the civilians are experiencing would serve no purpose. Doing nothing also serves as an indication to the military that these people are not a conquered enemy and should not be treated as PoW's.

Another coup of this magnitude is highly unlikely. There is this failure, a loss of trust in parts of the civilian leadership (such as Rush), and the introduction of a common enemy. All of these would conspire against another large-scale coup. Rush and Wray will be there regardless.

regards,
              G.
              Given the level of dissatisfaction and threat the civilians must have felt from Young to risk staging a coup, I don't think they will be willing to just walk away. What is to stop Rush or another computer skilled individual working with him from trying again?

I think the only way Young is going to continue to govern is through excessive force from the military. I don’t think it is practical or advised to use force on a spaceship to control a much larger group of technically skilled individuals; they are going to feel threatened and repressed. The potential for catastrophic sabotage from any of them is far too great. Young was willing to step down when he was accused of murder to prevent exactly this type of scenario from happening. I think he should go to Earth offer to step down and allow them to promote Scott or TJ to command. I believe Scott is the next in line but imo TJ would make a better leader.

Trying to establish a committee based civilian leadership like what Kaiphantom and others have maintained sounds nice on paper but imo isn’t practical or effective. As Gollumpus has astutely shown, a single commander needs to be designated; someone the military contingent will support. A civilian leader skilled enough like Weir could take over; but so far none are present that are qualified.
              Last edited by Blackhole; 11 April 2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                No, it doesn't seem they did.
                I am looking forward to the episode "masters and servants" where they get Wolsey to come in via the stones and go through the contracts of employment with a fine toothcomb. :-)

Sigh maybe Wray and Rush get demoted to bottle washers for cookie.

ps Masters and Servants is a refernce to the key peice of law both Uk and US employment law descends
                ----------------------------
                You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Another coup of this magnitude is highly unlikely. There is this failure, a loss of trust in parts of the civilian leadership (such as Rush), and the introduction of a common enemy. All of these would conspire against another large-scale coup. Rush and Wray will be there regardless.
                  Punishment is unnecessary. Young knows if an agreed upon leadership situation is not arranged then the civilians will eventually try something again because of Wray. He knows the humiliating and complete defeat of the civilians plan is punishment enough for the moment.

He knows they will regroup if Wray is not settled with the leadership situation. It would not happen immediately because his handling of that situation demonstrates to them that on board destiny, the military are skilled enough to diffuse a situation even Rush throws at them.

In the end, these petty problems will become insignificant when faced with bigger problems beyond political nitpicking. They will (must) unite against a common enemy, not amongst themselves. The Aliens will provide this resolution.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, but after what Young did to Rush on that palanet, I don't think he as the right to punish the civilians, and I think they know now that Young left Rush to die on the planet, stupid move to make since Rush is the ancient expert.
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Its really not realastic to punish all the civilians. Its inpractical. It sounds idealistic but the best course to prevent this from happening again by finding common ground
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Its really not realastic to punish all the civilians. Its inpractical. It sounds idealistic but the best course to prevent this from happening again by finding common ground
                        This!

As far as "disciplinary actions" goes, I'm not sure there's too much Young could viably do in this situation. Executing them would be nearly out of the question, as it would look much worse given what the civilians think of Young leaving Rush on the planet to die (note: remember, they all think Young is completely in the wrong here).

What I expect to happen is for Young to amp up his surveillance of Wray and Rush in various ways, the least of which being Eli spying on them more. We'll see though.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

I think that the response from Young was PERFECT...don't do ANYTHING whatsoever because it will keep the Civ's in constant, "oh crap, he could do something to retaliate for us doing this".

It will allow the Colonel the opportunity to let the Civ's come up with their own worst punishment, the punishment they will make up inside their own heads.

The Civ's clearly have seen that even their best attempt with everyone being organised was swiftly quashed as that's "what they do" as TJ succinctly put it!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                          : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Nothing. If the civilians go on a strike, the military is powerless. All they'll have is Eli (and he's seemingly barely on Young's side as it is at this moment, he's definitely begun doubting Young. If Young's gonna punish the civilians for trying to peacefully take over the ship (an action the military responded to by using unnecessary force against the civilians, such as James pistol-whipping that one guy just to make a point), he should have to be tried for attempted murder on Rush.

As it is, all they can do is tolerate each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                              Air Lock
                              Suicide
                              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                                If Young's gonna punish the civilians for trying to peacefully take over the ship (an action the military responded to by using unnecessary force against the civilians, such as James pistol-whipping that one guy just to make a point), he should have to be tried for attempted murder on Rush..
                                peacefully ? leaving all the soldiers with no water / food? and using weapons ? it's not peacefully ... indeed the military used too much force but they were pissed ... come on ! some soldiers practically give here lives to save all the civilian people ( remember who get the sand for the co2 converter ? and the ice for water ? or who get out the bugs (aliens ) off the ship ... )

i think that both sides are wrong fighting ! it's not a competition for who get's the power ... it's about survive
                                Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Working...
                                X