Once you pick up a weapon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jper View Post
    So Young should stay in charge, 'cause there's no immediate perfectly better alternative? Young should have the decency to step aside. Wray was briefly in charge, wasn't that bad IMHO, certainly not worse than Young. I liked TJ being in charge, but the problem isn't who else would be in charge, as I think you need to have some shared command, as in one civilian like Wray, one scientist like Rush, and someone from the military like Young, and the important thing would be for them to properly communicate! The problem now however is that Young is being the sole ruler, forcing his rule over the ship, and disrespecting other input that he dislikes. Anyway, I've been over Young's flaws before. That's the problem.
    No, I don't think Young is always right or should stay in command. I also don't think that Wray or Rush should be in sole command. All three need to grow some so they can work together, and I think that's possible. It all depends on whether the writers want to do. For cash-strapped MGM, it could be the most viable option to continue to have the majority of the show's conflicts stem from these three.

Originally posted by Jper View Post
    No she didn't had to take their advice, but she listened to them and valued their input. Elizabeth and John Sheppard were a great example of shared rule, civilian and military. It worked great. They listened to each other and respected each other. They also had each other's back. And they valued McKay's input, even when he was his usual abrasive self. Surely this must be possible on Destiny, too.
    This is what I'm hoping for as well, I think it worked very well on Atlantis. I was just pointing out that Weir was never obliged to bow to anyone else's wishes or advice. She simply did because she was diplomatic and she trusted her people. Hell, it rarely led her wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
      Yes. When the decision is made to attack an enemy base or launch another offensive action, it comes from higher-ups with no consultation. That's what being a soldier, sailor or airman is all about; following orders.
      No wonder the taliban are still at it.

I dont know where you're getting your facts from but you're wrong. When a decision is made to attack a base atleast some thought is put to it. You dont just point a place in a map and give orders to bomb it. Its not like obama would get up tomorrow morning and give the order "lets invade country x"

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
        No wonder the taliban are still at it.

I dont know where you're getting your facts from but you're wrong. When a decision is made to attack a base atleast some thought is put to it. You dont just point a place in a map and give orders to bomb it. Its not like obama would get up tomorrow morning and give the order "lets invade country x"
        What? I never said it wasn't discussed. It's just not usually discussed with those on the ground. Politicians debate about whether to go to war and if they agree upon it then they call up the generals and tell them to devise a strategy. Generals discuss strategy amongst themselves and when they make a decision, they radio the ground troops and tell them to get it done.

They don't ask every soldier whether or not they think it's a good idea.

Comment

What? I never said it wasn't discussed. It's just not usually discussed with those on the ground. Politicians debate about whether to go to war and if they agree upon it then they call up the generals and tell them to devise a strategy. Generals discuss strategy amongst themselves and when they make a decision, they radio the ground troops and tell them to get it done.

They don't ask every soldier whether or not they think it's a good idea.
          But they would ask the person in charge of them to tell them the situation on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
            But they would ask the person in charge of them to tell them the situation on the ground.
            A person that makes those judgment calls looks at the situation from an outside perspective. They have to take everything in and make an assertion logically. So yes, they would ask for the situation, but not an opinion, unless they actually wanted one.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
              A person that makes those judgment calls looks at the situation from an outside perspective. They have to take everything in and make an assertion logically. So yes, they would ask for the situation, but not an opinion, unless they actually wanted one.
              And realistically if a theatre general doesn't know the situation on the ground (barring a communications breakdown) then he's not worth his stars.

Comment

Problem is, you're all talking about getting the facts of an outside perspective, and that's a nice thing, but in the situation on Destiny there are facts, but I see two problems. 1. Having an outside perspective is difficult. You need someone who's able to step back, take a moment from time to time, and then make a rational decision. Clearly not Young... And 2. There are facts yes, but a lot of things on Destiny are experts their opinions and not facts.
                A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                  I do agree that there needs to be cooperation, though I do not agree that the Military was in the wrong.
                  Not the military as a whole, just the person at the top of the chain of command....in this case Young. He has failed miserably, and should be demoted, and removed from command.

Comment

What they need to do is contact O'Neill and ask him what they should do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      What they need to do is contact O'Neill and ask him what they should do.
                      I agree with this. If they're going to do something about Young, go through the right channels! At least the other military personnel won't be able to argue.

Comment

I wonder how Colonel Telford would handle this situation. I swear the characters on Universe dislike everyone. telford hates young and rush. young dislikes telford and rush. greer dislikes rush and telford. so

Comment

I agree with this. If they're going to do something about Young, go through the right channels! At least the other military personnel won't be able to argue.
                          I'm actually surprised they didn't, but I wonder if that was what Wray was going to do when Young prevented her from using the stones.

Comment

If I may offer my completely worthless opinion...

I think in a way both sides were right and both sides were wrong for different reasons.

First of all we need to look at ALL of these people as human. They're terrifed, confused, hopeless, on edge...the list goes on. So at least in Lt. James rifflebutting the civilian it was more of a reflex of a terrifed and angry soldier, I didn't sense any melicious intention behind it..but thats just me.

Col. Young is clearly compromised as a leader, he is emotional and irrational, HOWEVER that doesn't change the fact the in terms of military action he is the best qualified to lead. The civilian authority is a little trickier. Wray clearly has her own motives. So the best solution would be to have a small group of civilians to make non-military decisions (that doesn't not exclude them from weighing in on those issues however.

But what is obivious to me is that trying to subdue the military on the ship by force is the wrong thing to do. What needs to happen is a daily "town hall" meeting in the gate room or mess hall to dicuss all issues
                            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                              If I may offer my completely worthless opinion...

I think in a way both sides were right and both sides were wrong for different reasons.

First of all we need to look at ALL of these people as human. They're terrifed, confused, hopeless, on edge...the list goes on. So at least in Lt. James rifflebutting the civilian it was more of a reflex of a terrifed and angry soldier, I didn't sense any melicious intention behind it..but thats just me.

Col. Young is clearly compromised as a leader, he is emotional and irrational, HOWEVER that doesn't change the fact the in terms of military action he is the best qualified to lead. The civilian authority is a little trickier. Wray clearly has her own motives. So the best solution would be to have a small group of civilians to make non-military decisions (that doesn't not exclude them from weighing in on those issues however.

But what is obivious to me is that trying to subdue the military on the ship by force is the wrong thing to do. What needs to happen is a daily "town hall" meeting in the gate room or mess hall to dicuss all issues
                              Eventually, maybe that is the route they will go. One thing is for sure - they won't last long if they continue fighting each other like this.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                I wonder how Colonel Telford would handle this situation. I swear the characters on Universe dislike everyone. telford hates young and rush. young dislikes telford and rush. greer dislikes rush and telford. so
                                Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Comment

Working...
                                X